What the hell mintcakes?

The_Avatar

so wait... i haven't been up to date for a while... so i have no idea what the purpose of mint cakes are for

is it like duct tape for the rs economy??

is it a rare or something?

is it amazingly difficult to obtain it?

is it....useful??

wouldn't 10m gp be a good way to make sure that you always have.....10m?

It is NOT useful.

It is NOT amazingly difficult to obtain it (about ninety minutes effort, all the while making at least 600k/hour profit without the mints)

It is NOT a rare, as in the "discontinued" sense

It is duct tape for the economy. The old currency of gold does not work well because of trade restrictions. Mint cakes function as a medium of exchange by being assigned an arbitrary value far greater than the grand exchange price. This allows items to trade freely at their equilibrium values.

The problem with 10m gp is that 10m gp is not as useful to players as, say, 10m in herbs after a herblore update or 10m in dragon bones after a prayer update. Because the grand exchange sucks at updating prices, it takes too long for items to adjust to their true values, so in the mean time mint cakes allow these items to trade freely.

Another example is partyhats. A blue partyhat is worth over one billion coins to a player, but he cannot pay what it's worth because the grand exchange doesn't adjust quickly enough. Items like mint cakes and "edible rares" which are arbitrarily assigned value allows for trading of these under-valued items.

In short: Sick of "absurd price" of mint cakes? Thank trade limits and grand exchange limits.

as a sidenote u can buy expensive items at minimum in g.e and sell them for max trade limit if u include a mintcake ( this is intended for people who have that 1 random mintcake from the q and dont divulge in junk trading, thus having little to no use for it) , i made 3m from doing it with an ags, just thought id share yet another use for it

oXmutilateXo.png

Things like this mint cake economy confuse me. I understand how junk trading and the "normal" economy work, but why mint cakes? Why not those mjolnirs from the enchanted key?

Could have been the Mjolnir. But I think (and that is the problem) that a lot of people do not realize how to get these mint cakes or even remember ever having one. The Mjolnir is something you can actually see and get (each person can get 1 I believe from a quest?). The Mint Cake isn't something you can see people wielding. Much like the easter egg / pumpkin / half wine. There lies the mystery I assume.

As for the nutcase who says everything revolves around 1 item in real life. Perhaps you can think of oil :P but sure as hell, oil has a purpose and therefor a price. Mint cakes do not have a purpose and do not have a price. (yes, the GE price). The Street price however isn't set in stone. Some say 3m, some say 10m, heck some say 50k.. If you remove mint cakes like right now, nothing would happen other then riots, because there were some idiots that thought they would have been a good investment. .. Same thing happened to water vial investors (when vial packs came) or when Jagex decided to change prices themselves (limpwurts anyone?) No panic involved. Just more people ranting. Rawrrr

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

Well, the big high Runescape god-players one day decided they want to give value to a rare, useless item, to have a stable price in order to safely "store" your money in. Of course, then communism...er, I mean the Grand Exchange, kicked in and ruined their plans. If you don't have one, don't plan on getting one, or don't want to buy one, just don't bother.

I don't see any reason for Jagex to remove mint cakes or make them untradeable. Sure it will make some people happy but they probably don't even use mint cakes so it doesn't even affect them. Even if they did something and made mint cakes lose value a new item would be adopted and replace mint cakes, then the cycle continues

Money_Wasted.png

The thing you guys are forgetting is you can NEVER destroy an imaginary economy. The only true destroyed economy is the one that can't support any kind of a living cost. And since there is no living cost for an imaginary economy, you are safe. Yes some prices will drop and some will rise, big woop it's not gonna stop you from living, learn what real life is :P

also, I have never heard of mint cakes, I don't take part in junk trading, and I don't care too much for rares, I just like to skill and talk to friends, which I'm sure most people play this game for that singular reason. The ones who rant and rave about anything jagex does (cause lets face it, if you ask 70% of the runescape community, jagex sucks) are either so twisted they'd take a game and substitute it for real life to the point they'd go into a lawsuit (it's happened in England, crazy freaks lol), or they don't have any friends.

So I agree the mint cake is useless and [developmentally delayed]ed, but if you take it away, they'll just replace it with something, ANYTHING, else.

And for all you people taking him so seriously you think he's actually suggesting jagex take it out, he's just stating his opinion, he never said they should take action. Thats what a rant is about, to blow steam and not get anywhere, because lets face it, no one really reads these things :P