Range/Mage Slaying?

tylersk8shop

Just wondering with the new Slayer helmet update what Mage/Range Slaying is like, I was also wondering about the best equipment to use and spells/ammo to use, Possibly EXP rates and guides. All helps apreciated, Thanks!

128+ Combat \\ 1900+ Total Level \\ 85M+ EXP

5,999th To 99 Woodcutting Achieved June 27, 2007

66,931st To 99 Strength Achieved January 23rd, 2009

Draconic Visage: 1+ \\ DK Drops: 169+ \\ GWD Drops: 74+

I find it to be bearable. Depends on the task, but i mostly range. The few that i mage are iron dragons, nechs, blue dragons, and steels if i were to get them.

For range i use Broad Bolts or Black Knives, depends on the creature.

When maging i use a variety of spells. Ice Burst/Barrage on Nechs using a Wolpertinger to boost my level, fire surge on Abyssal Demons with a Wolper. Claws of Guthix on irons/steel dragons. Earth Surge on blues, might use slayer dart instead.

For ranging use the best range boosting gear you can, a shield if you need defense/dragon fire protection or the unholy book if safespotting.

For mage its like range except for mage gear.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

Range works fairly well, magic just gets too costly too quick.

I've been mage slaying recently, so I'll give you a few pointers.

- Always use Ahrim's. If you don't have a hexcrest or full slay helm, buy the hood, too, as it has higher defense bonuses than a Farseer helm.

- If you don't have an Arcane, use a blessed spirit shield and mage's book. Cheaper alternatives are a spirit shield and unholy book. Use discretion when choosing between the two. BSS for monsters that hit hard and often, mage's book for tasks where you'll take minimal damage, or tasks where the monster is attacking with magic. If you do have an Arcane, sell the other stuff.

- The Ardougne cape 3 has a +6 mage attack bonus and a +6 prayer bonus. If you're using slayer dart or surge spells, consider the Ardy cape for tasks you'll be praying at.

- Spells worth using are claws of guthix, surge spells, slayer dart, and ice burst/barrage. Use CoG on monsters with high defense, surge spells on most other monsters, slayer dart because it's cheap, and possibly the ancient spells if you're looking to burn through a task like Nechs. Personally, I don't think earth surge and water surge are worth it.

- If you don't have a full slayer helm/hexcrest, buy a Zamorak mitre for tasks that require protection prayers.

- Dark beasts have a lot of magic defense. I haven't tried slaying them with a hexcrest, so I don't know if it would help significantly.

- Spirit mages, too, have high magic defense (for obvious reasons). They're not bad with surge spells using a master wand, however.

- A staff of light and void mace should be your weapons of choice. A master wand if you can't get your hands on a SoL.

- You should always use a wolpertinger with scrolls on multicombat tasks. Use Guthan's to heal if you can't keep up by other means (I've found that an EE does not keep up).

- The absolute best setup to have in terms of both offense and defense would be a full slay helm, arcane spirit shield. staff of light/void mace, ahrim's top and bottom, infinity boots, barrows gloves, fury, god cape, and either an onyx(i) or seers'(i) depending on the task.

Good luck. I'll try and update this if I think of anything else.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

Theres a big rumor going around the hexcrest effect only works with monsters which require a slayer level to kill. I can confirm its the case with Rex and dagannoths, but I've not had any good mage-able tasks since to test it out on others. However I've seen lots of people do full tasks of greaters and never once see a hit above the old max.

[hide=Drops]

• Dragon Axe x11
    Berserker Ring x9
    Warrior Ring x8
    Seercull
    Dragon Med
    Dragon Boots x4 - all less then 30 kc
    Godsword Shard (bandos)
    Granite Maul x 3

Solo only - doesn't include barrows[/hide][hide=Stats]

joe_da_studd.png[/hide]

Theres a big rumor going around the hexcrest effect only works with monsters which require a slayer level to kill. I can confirm its the case with Rex and dagannoths, but I've not had any good mage-able tasks since to test it out on others. However I've seen lots of people do full tasks of greaters and never once see a hit above the old max.

Doesn't work on Iron Dragons as i was hitting 37 with CoG ( Charge + Mace + Ferocious Ring) and i figure with hex i would hit more. But i was able to hit a 46 on Abyssal Demons (Fire Surge) and Nechs (Ice Burst) Using a SoL and a Full Slayer Helmet.

P.S. Are there any post on the RSOF about it?

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]