Mage and Range

Ezkaton

I've recently been considering getting 80 range and 80 mage. It'll A. Make my combat stats look a little nicer, B. Allow me to effectively try and get to Nomad when I start NR, C. It may allow me to boss hunt a little, and D. I'd like them that high tbf.

So do you guys have any ideas how I can do this easily via slayer or something else? I don't really wana chin or burst because I suck at luring and knowing me I'll just afk it looking at the forums then go back to find a deaded me. I currently have a 213 or so daggonoth task so that'll be about 30K range exp as I'll cannon them. With maging is there any alternative to alching at my level? and how long will it take? At 80 mage I'd then consider getting 93/94 (whichever it is for veng) using string ammy. Any idea on a ball park cost for this?

Any help with ideas on how to train these 2 slow skills would be much appreciated.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

2672nd person to reach 2496 total.
Thanks to Wicked for the awesome siggy :D

Ranged - Cannon tasks, and also try ranging tasks like black demons/metal drags instead of meleeing. Also you could just make a few trips to Aviansies, tanking would be a piece of cake for you and you'd make some sweet money with it.

Magic - Other than alching, I'd say try superheating Iron. It's a bit more expensive, but it got me from 90-94 fairly quickly. There's also a way to combine superheating with alching for even higher xp rates, but I've never done this myself so you'd have to ask someone else.

dirk4slayer.png

Chuck Norris doesn't ever need a compass; he randomly points somewhere and north goes there in order not to anger him.

Ranged - Cannon tasks, and also try ranging tasks like black demons/metal drags instead of meleeing. Also you could just make a few trips to Aviansies, tanking would be a piece of cake for you and you'd make some sweet money with it.

Hmm I'd consider avis, but my uni net is always extremely laggy for me for some reason :S so I don't know whether that'd put me off on a bad foot or not? How easy would it be for them to kill me if I lagged badly do you recon? Also any epic setups etc for me to use?

Oh and I blocked Black Demons - they take too long in my opinion as I want to powerslay mostly with piety and cannon to try and get 90 slayer. And hmm the dragons.... What'd be best to range them with?

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Reacting impulsively and saying what's on your mind feels oh so good.. for a little, until you realize you just started WWIII.

Hmm I'd consider avis, but my uni net is always extremely laggy for me for some reason :S so I don't know whether that'd put me off on a bad foot or not? How easy would it be for them to kill me if I lagged badly do you recon? Also any epic setups etc for me to use?

Oh and I blocked Black Demons - they take too long in my opinion as I want to powerslay mostly with piety and cannon to try and get 90 slayer. And hmm the dragons.... What'd be best to range them with?

I power range most of my tasks, so:

If you want fast ranged xp via slayer I would definatly say that you should unblock black demons. With a cannon set up properly at traverly you can power through a task of 170 like nothing else. Only better xp would be dagganoths. If you want i can put up a picture next time i get a black demon task, heck PM me in game and i'll show you.

With metal dragons it's a bit more complicated, steels are a pain even for me with ranged 95 and you can't really use a cannon effectively cause it'll hit a lot of the other drags that you don't want. Irons are a bit easier, still hard to do with a cannon. If you were to go with ranged I would suggest at least addy bolts, and hit em with a couple of mith (e) before to speed things up. Good set up for you would probably be to take like 5-6 antifires and 3-4 ranging pots.

Skeletal vywerns can be easily safespotted, good guide written "Misunderstood monsters" or sth. Again addy or broad bolts minimum or you'll die of boredom.

Black dragons are awesome ranged xp with a cannon in traverly, if you know where to put it. Again, i can upload a pic if i get a task, or show.

Dust devils are good for rangin have an accumulator on, you can trap them behind the rock and easily pick up the arrows.

Hellhounds are very decent xp meleeing and cannoning, guess you could just cannon range them as well. I melee cannon.

Greater demons you could just range kill the caged ones.

FIre giants, melee cannon in brimhaven or range-cannon in wildy.

Aberrant specteres, good cannoning xp in pollinveach.

Aslo there are dagganoths of course and kalphites which you know anyhow. :)

There are probably more that are good for ranged xp but i just can't remember at the moment.

Purekilljoy.png

That'd be brilliant if you could show me those locations sometime. I'm currently gona brb for about 30 mins + to go and get my mum a mothers day card etc as parents are coming to uni to see me tomorrow. But I'll be back to look at where it is, unless you wana post the pics/pm me on here/in game? :)

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

That'd be brilliant if you could show me those locations sometime. I'm currently gona brb for about 30 mins + to go and get my mum a mothers day card etc as parents are coming to uni to see me tomorrow. But I'll be back to look at where it is, unless you wana post the pics/pm me on here/in game? :)

I'll be online for like prob 3 hours now. Tomorrow probably not at all, added you but guess you're gone. So if I see you online i'll show the locations there, if not i'll make pictures as soon as i get demons or black drags assigned. Just working on 40 skeletals for now.

Purekilljoy.png

My range has come almost all from Slayer tasks, there's tons of ranging oporunities with slayer. Some monsters are easy to tank even in range gear, and there's a lot of safespots everywhere.

As for mage, well I've never been a mage myself. I guess one suggestion would be to Kill dagannoth rex. It isn't fast by any means, but it's definetely good money.

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I'll be online for like prob 3 hours now. Tomorrow probably not at all, added you but guess you're gone. So if I see you online i'll show the locations there, if not i'll make pictures as soon as i get demons or black drags assigned. Just working on 40 skeletals for now.

I'll be coming online now I think. Went to play Halo on the Xbox a bit with my gf's brother xD

My range has come almost all from Slayer tasks, there's tons of ranging oporunities with slayer. Some monsters are easy to tank even in range gear, and there's a lot of safespots everywhere.

As for mage, well I've never been a mage myself. I guess one suggestion would be to Kill dagannoth rex. It isn't fast by any means, but it's definetely good money.

And hmm, I swear I've seen you in kura dungeon Izen...... What range gear would you recommend? I have a DFS, 9m Cashpile atm (20m or so if I sell my SS and a herbs etc), and a visage (stuck it in bank because I know I'll spend it on bandos or smithing or herb xD)

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

for range, just the basic black d hide, rune cbow with broad bolts is good.

If you have a focus sight/full slayer helm, wear that while ranging on tasks.

Focus sight

Fury/Glory

Black hide top

Black Hide legs

Snakeskin boots

Accumulator

Rune C'bow

Unholy book/Anti-fire shield (try not to use a DFS while ranging, as it has a -range atk bonus)

Ferocious ring when in Kuradal's Dungeon

Broad bolts.

You could also use Darts or Throwing knives, but I personally just stick to the C bow.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

for range, just the basic black d hide, rune cbow with broad bolts is good.

If you have a focus sight/full slayer helm, wear that while ranging on tasks.

Focus sight

Fury/Glory

Black hide top

Black Hide legs

Snakeskin boots

Accumulator

Rune C'bow

Unholy book/Anti-fire shield (try not to use a DFS while ranging, as it has a -range atk bonus)

Ferocious ring when in Kuradal's Dungeon

Broad bolts.

You could also use Darts or Throwing knives, but I personally just stick to the C bow.

Does focus sight still have that glitchy thing that means you only get the bonuses when you attack monsters you need a slayer level for?

And are you sure black dhide cuts it? I'm no range expert, heck I don't even know the values of any of the armours but isn't like any of the God dhides better? Or what about armadyal?

Yea DFS does have the - bonus, but are there any tasks where I might need to tank hits with it? Also I'm considering getting a BSS as I think they've gone cheaper (been ages since I checked GE though D:) So would that be a better sub?

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

I haven't noticed any glitch with my Focus Sight/Full slayer helm yet, I think it's only with the Hexcrest, or the game just likes me

The god D hides have the same stats as black d hide. The only thing better about the god d hide sets is they have a coif to go with them.

If you have and are willing to spend the money, then Armadyl does have better stats.

And the only tasks that would really require tanking while ranging are monsters like Abyssal Demons or Dust devils, when there aren't any safe spots to use. In Which case, I do use a DFS for the def.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

Ok fair enough sounds good.

I do have a visage I can sell so that'd be arma covered for this ranging. How long does it take to go through the average slayer task then? And how many tasks would you possible guesstimate for 80 range?

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Alright. On my way to hellhounds, stopped by the demons and snapped a photo for you. Here it is:

blackdemons.png

Some other guys were messing about there as well, hopefully you can understand it though. I've set the cannon up just west of the pillar. You'd wanna be standing where I am (guthans, slayr helm, just south of the cannon) that way you can engage like 4 black demons at the same time and they won't be able to reach you. I suggest your best ranging gear with a MSB and arrows that you don't mind losing. I personaly go with steels, because due to the obstaces an accumulator won't really work. Always go with a MSB instead of a x-bow, the added speed bonus + special is more useful than the x-bow higher hit. You're killing the demons really fast anyway.

Lastly, always have a couple of pray pots with you if you go there, cause when you go to pick up charms and loot from the northern piles, every once in a while a demon will attack you, and will come through to your cannon spot. Then you'll just have to move more south to trap him again, they hit pretty high so it's easier to pray through it. This only happens sometimes, when you go pick up the loot, so if you don't care for charms and stuff you can just stay at the spot. keep filling your cannon and shooting your MSB and you'll be done in no time.

Purekilljoy.png

Thank you very much for showing me that. It seems easy enough, so I'll unblock black demons when I kill my 201 Daggs left and head to Kuradal later.

Are you able to cannon fire giants too in bax falls like you can black demons?

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

Are you able to cannon fire giants too in bax falls like you can black demons?

I haven't really tried i'm pretty sure you can, if there's a safespot of any kind. Sometimes you can use the cannon to make one also. But I just use cannon in addition to melee with fire giants in Brimhaven so you'll have to check it out by yourself. In wildy fires you can just close the gate and set up the cannon outside, every once in a while you'll hit a poisonous spider but no big deal really, if you're willing to take a chance in the wilderness.

Purekilljoy.png

Brilliant then :) that seems to be my ranging sorted.

I'm just wondering about my hellhound task now. Cannoning might get me some good exp, but is it quicker than pietying in Kura dungeon?

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

If you can, use YouTube (like i told you in the PM). It has many guides on how to cannon and kill certain tasks. That is where i learned about the spot i now use in Taverly to kill Black Demons. It is 1 square north and 2 squares west of where the cannon is setup in that pic.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

CS: Zamorakian Spear x2, Zamorak Hilt x1, Bandos Chestplate x1, Sara Sword x1

DKs: Dragon Hatchet x3 Beserker Ring x1[/hide]

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

99Slayer.png Achieved Mar. 5, 2010[/hide]

[hide=Goals]c1dfeeb1d3.pngCptBaker.pngCptBaker.png[/hide]

If you can, use YouTube (like i told you in the PM). It has many guides on how to cannon and kill certain tasks. That is where i learned about the spot i now use in Taverly to kill Black Demons. It is 1 square north and 2 squares west of where the cannon is setup in that pic.

Yes that PM was a brilliant help :) I managed to find a good few videos on Black demon cannoning.

BTW would a full slayer helm be worth investing in? I have a focus sight, just been waiting for a jungle task for the hex.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

I like it just so i don't have to worry about using a different helm while on tasks. Before i got the Hexcrest i used the Focus Sight while ranging. I rarely use magic on tasks, but it is helpful for when i do.

[hide=Drops]Slayer:Draconic Visage x3, Abyssal Whip x23, Dark Bow x3, Dragon Platelegs x3, Dragon Boots x40, Dragon Plateskirt x4, Shield Left Half x3, Dragon Medium Helms x10

GWD:

[hide=Completed Goals]99Attack.pngAchieved April 26, 200999Defence.pngAchieved Sept. 15, 200999Hitpoints.pngAchieved Nov. 21, 200999Strength.png Jan. 10, 2010

Ok brilliant. I think I will go for a full slayer helm soon. I have the money for it. Does the focus have the same effect as the hex? As in does it only work on monsters you need to have a slayer level for?

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png

It should work the same, but apparently there is a bug that it only works on creatures the require a slayer level to kill while on task. It will work on Nechs and abyssal demons but not any dragons or giants.

GWD:

You seem to be helped out more or less. I just wanted to add that nowadays, with EE, bunyips, unicorns and such, tanking is mostly the best option for ranging, since safespotting mostly makes you lose time.

I remember for instane that I survived with full void + dfs and a bunyip at abyssal demons, just tanking. I can imagine that armadyl with full slayer helm and zammy book is enough to tank most tasks. If not, use some shield, preferably blessed spirit shield. If even that doesn't cut it, use verac skirt.

I'd also eagle eye most of my tasks if I were you.

And if you have a task in kuradal's dungeon, do it there, and try to get your hands on fast ammo (knives, darts, msb) cause every hit is +4 there, so the faster you hit, the bigger the advantage. Greaters, hellhounds, gargs, abby demons and blue drags are easily tanked. For dark beasts I would suggest using a safespot though.

And if you have a task in kuradal's dungeon, do it there, and try to get your hands on fast ammo (knives, darts, msb) cause every hit is +4 there, so the faster you hit, the bigger the advantage. Greaters, hellhounds, gargs, abby demons and blue drags are easily tanked. For dark beasts I would suggest using a safespot though.

Agreed except that dark beasts have a magic attack, so you can't safe spot them :P

I personally like using safespots, because it just makes it easier and more relaxed, it does take a bit longer to do tasks though, since you take time getting to the spot sometimes, so it's more or less personal preferance.

whatisrush-1.png

FlowerPower.png

That's brilliant guys, thank you so much for all helping. I seem to be perfectly sorted out with the ranging. I'll most likely sell my visage and buy arma and tank with that and dfs using xbox with broads, cannon, and darts/knives/msb for kura tasks. Also my focus sight in my bank seems that it will be some use. I am currently 80K from 75 range and expect to be 76 range by 85 slayer (200K odd exp till level). Safe spotting dark beasts doesn't worry me at the moment as I can't kill them ;) but I'm 1 level off pieing them :D yippee (I say it that way because if 1 more person say "amg camp for whipz" then I most likely will cave to it and do so, Dark Beasts and 90 slayer will be nice to aim for)

The only thing left is mage then. I really don't know the best way to go about it and break up the monotony of alching I really don't. I would do it during the double exp weekend, but I feel that my time would be better spent on herblore for a bit (try to get 65/70), then summoning (70-75) then the rest on slayer (aiming for 90 slayer over the next few months or so so the weekend will speed it up). The herb and summoning will probably take up most of my time however it'll leave a good bit of time to slayer. Would it be wise for me to alch during this time then even though I personally think it could be better spent slaying? Or what other options do I have? I kinda want to get to it 75/80 ASAP so I have the option to string ammy or plank make when I feel like getting extra levels. *note* I am willing to mage some slayer tasks but only if I'm sure I'll atleast break even, and I'd be willing to invest in hexcrest too to make a FSH.

34gU8.png

ezk120dg_zps0de40221.png

zP2k8Ej.png

7d95f5db02.png