Making my computer more up to date

Skully

Hey, I've had my computer a little over a year now and I want to be able to play more recent games on highest quality settings. Can anyone please tell me what I need to buy, preferably budget components, also I'm pretty illiterate with the technical side of computers, so please keep it in English please. :P

Specs:

z70ix.jpg

If you need any more info, just say what and where I can get it.

Thank you to anyone who helps.

skyrim_by_katri_n-d3hewko.png

What's your graphics card?

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Let's take from where you are.

System info - components - screen. It will say Nvidia or ATI xxx most likely.

The obvious hog is the gpu. The cpu is a quad, albeit a little bit slow. But let's focus on the gpu.

You'd need to change the graphics card and most likely the psu aswell. I'd say about 150 quid for those two (in that area).

Your computer is Packard Bell, so i don't know if it would break the warranty on changing those components (if your warranty has expired, then it doesn't matter).

The obvious hog is the gpu. The cpu is a quad, albeit a little bit slow. But let's focus on the gpu.

You'd need to change the graphics card and most likely the psu aswell. I'd say about 150 quid for those two (in that area).

Your computer is Packard Bell, so i don't know if it would break the warranty on changing those components (if your warranty has expired, then it doesn't matter).

Well seeing as I know nothing about computer parts, would you be able to show me a good budget choice for those parts I need to replace, also would it cost alot to replace the cpu?

I don't care if I break the warranty, if anything went wrong i'd be happy to just take it to a store.

Thanks for the help.

Taking to a store would be a mistake, it's much better bringing it to a specialized computer shop if something goes wrong.

I don't know of any uk shops, so I'm going to wait until someone posts one for the suggested parts to suggest some myself.

Overclockers is a good online place to buy stuff from in the UK, they sell budget and high end stuff at reasonable prices. Dabs might also be worth having a look at.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

ATI 5770: http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-powercolor-ati-radeon-hd5770-1gb-ddr5-pci-e-6K8Z.html?refs=13

Corsair VX450: http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-memory-450w-atx-ps-2-sata-12v-4N14.html?q=corsair%20vx

160£ together.

Changing the cpu would mean you'd have to change the motherboard aswell and possibly the memory aswell. So the money starts to roll. The os tied to the motherboard aswell if my memory doesn't fail me, so it might be one more problem. The best option would be to overclock it, they can without much fuss get to around 2.8 -3ghz. But that's of course if the person know how to.

Also, do you know how to change components (it's not difficult really), or do you plan to get some friend to help you? If you plan on it yourself i'd advice you to read or/and check some videos online and also buy a anti-stat arm band.

Maybe Joedastudd can come up with some better options since his British i think.

ATI 5770: http://www.dabs.com/products/best-value-powercolor-ati-radeon-hd5770-1gb-ddr5-pci-e-6K8Z.html?refs=13

Corsair VX450: http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-memory-450w-atx-ps-2-sata-12v-4N14.html?q=corsair%20vx

160£ together.

Changing the cpu would mean you'd have to change the motherboard aswell and possibly the memory aswell. So the money starts to roll. The os tied to the motherboard aswell if my memory doesn't fail me, so it might be one more problem. The best option would be to overclock it, they can without much fuss get to around 2.8 -3ghz. But that's of course if the person know how to.

Also, do you know how to change components (it's not difficult really), or do you plan to get some friend to help you? If you plan on it yourself i'd advice you to read or/and check some videos online and also buy a anti-stat arm band.

Maybe Joedastudd can come up with some better options since his British i think.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a friend who can do it, who's said he will do it if I get the parts.

160£ together.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have a friend who can do it, who's said he will do it if I get the parts.

Good.

I just rememberd that you could check the psu before ordering things, probably won't be good enough but if you could write it's name (brand+product name) i'll check it out.

Also, if you'd want to spend less cash just shout.

Edit: Remember it said system name in your screenshot lol (multi tasking too much atm). From the info i've seen, it's 250w. So go ahead and order if you'd like to (or wait for someone else to also drop in a reply).

160£ together.

Good.

I just rememberd that you could check the psu before ordering things, probably won't be good enough but if you could write it's name (brand+product name) i'll check it out.

Edit: Remember it said system name in your screenshot lol (multi tasking too much atm). From the info i've seen, it's 250w. So go ahead and order if you'd like to (or wait for someone else to also drop in a reply).

:thumbsup:

Just one question though, is that graphics card as good as say one of the higher end Geforce's? Will this setup allow me to play new games on high quality settings?

160£ together.

Good.

:thumbsup:

Just one question though, is that graphics card as good as say one of the higher end Geforce's? Will this setup allow me to play new games on high quality settings?

Depends on which Geforce card you're talking about.

It's better than a ATI 4850 which is about equal to a GTS 250. But under 4870 which is about equal to a GTX 260.

But it will allow you to play games at pretty decent settings, yes. Check some reviews. I just picked it because it's a good price, DX11, low power usage (108w max) and pretty small size. If you want something beefier, say.