kid gets detention for eating a jolly rancher

michel555555

I'm quite surprised that so many people have responded with "oh well, she broke the rule..." etc. I personally don't think governments/states/school boards should be imposing dietary restrictions on students. That doesn't mean they have to allow unhealthy foods to be sold at the school (i.e. - vending machines) and should be providing nutrionally balanced lunches, but if a parent wants to allow their child to bring candy they should be allowed to. Why should generally healthy kids suffer because of the fat kids?

I think the point of this story should be that parents need to stand up and correct this. I believe it is the moral obligation of citizens to question rules/laws and change unjust ones. How many of you that said "oh well" would feel the same if the federal government announced that possession of candy was now illegal? I realize that a school setting is different and students are not of legal age and therefore have about zero rights or power, but the parents can affect change.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite surprised that so many people have responded with "oh well, she broke the rule..." etc. I personally don't think governments/states/school boards should be imposing dietary restrictions on students. That doesn't mean they have to allow unhealthy foods to be sold at the school (i.e. - vending machines) and should be providing nutrionally balanced lunches, but if a parent wants to allow their child to bring candy they should be allowed to. Why should generally healthy kids suffer because of the fat kids?

I think the point of this story should be that parents need to stand up and correct this. I believe it is the moral obligation of citizens to question rules/laws and change unjust ones. How many of you that said "oh well" would feel the same if the federal government announced that possession of candy was now illegal? I realize that a school setting is different and students are not of legal age and therefore have about zero rights or power, but the parents can affect change.

Excellent post. It's funny too, it seems no one cares about rulebreakers until they get unjustly punished for something. All we're trying to do is stop that practice.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Excellent post. It's funny too, it seems no one cares about rulebreakers until they get unjustly punished for something. All we're trying to do is stop that practice.

There are things that are worth fighting back against. Some kid getting an unfair detention isn't one. There are much worse atrocities that are committed every second around the world that no one does anything about it yet people are outraged about this. Poor kid probably had to sit quietly for a half hour, how will she cope? I mean genocide pales in comparison to sitting in a safe environment for that long. Sorry about the douchey sarcasm in advance,

It's not that we're blindly following rules simply because they're rules, it's just that you need to pick and choose your battles and this one barely harms anyone and therefore isn't worth the attention and effort required.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Too bad realistically we can't go to Africa and donate food to the poor, or go and stop terrorists, or become Kickass superheros. The way to avoid all of these stupid rules and injustices is for authority to have a bit of unbiased and critical analysis. A lot of us already have that, and its not at all hard to get, so I don't know why these officials can't get some for themselves and their jobs.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg