G.e Update alertor for the ge centre.

Hello,

I'm a person that likes to know when the G.E has updated, I think it would be a nice implement for the G.e centre to make an alert when it updates whenever you are on the page, this makes it quicker for us to know instantly instead of refreshing the page to check, getting an unaccurate result.

I'd like to see people's thoughts on this, is it even possible?

Thanks.

First off, welcome to the Tip.It Forums. I see you're new here, just by looking at your post count. ;)

As for your idea, if the Tip.It Crew had the time and the resources required, it could be done. But, there is a severe problem with it... Well, two problems:

1. Jagex does NOT allow continuous watching/scanning/polling of their server functions. And as far as I know, even the better fansites (Tip.It included) can only pull info from Jagex about one time every 4 to 6 hours and only when triggered by a user's mouse click. I'm probably wrong about the time limits, but I would need Administrator Pure_MageUK to drop in and tell us what Jagex allows Tip.It to do. :-?
  2. It could potentially visit severe crash-grade stress on the Tip.It website server, as this would cause a semi-constant periodic link with the server. Multiply this by about 2,000 (really more like 50,000) users all having the same page sitting open, and you've set up a really nice recipe for ugly disaster. :(

As you can pretty much see, there are technical limits that would be near-impossible to overcome, and even if they were that there are still rules in place blocking something like this. Sorry to burn your idea down, though. Maybe there will be a chance in the future for something like this to happen? :huh:

~D. V. "I hate being an idea-killer." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Yes, you are right, the Tip.It GEC does not popup or something when the GE updates.

However, there are other ways to know when the GE has updated, such as IRC. The Tip.It IRC has a 'bot' called RuneScript which will announce when the GE updates, as well as do a lot of other useful things. Also, there is a twitter account which will announce when the GE updates, as well as other news, extremely fast, probably the fastest. So if you're familiar with twitter, follow @RuneScapeRSS, you could download a twitter client, such as Tweetdeck, or if you play RuneScape in Firefox you could get Echofon and whenever the GE updates you will get a notification in the bottom corner of the browser. There may be a similar addon for Chrome.

There are some sites that advertise a GE checker that will tell you exactly when the GE updates and claims it to be the fastest, but please be wary of these sites. I have come across a few [Caution: Executable File]'s that nicely hide the fact that they are keyloggers.

Perhaps in the future Tip.It may want to include a GE notifier in their Firefox addon/greasemonkey script, it would be quite awesome. :thumbup:

Jagex does NOT allow continuous watching/scanning/polling of their server functions. And as far as I know, even the better fansites (Tip.It included) can only pull info from Jagex about one time every 4 to 6 hours and only when triggered by a user's mouse click. I'm probably wrong about the time limits, but I would need Administrator Pure_MageUK to drop in and tell us what Jagex allows Tip.It to do. :-?

~D. V. "I hate being an idea-killer." Devnull

The "must be in reply to a user click" rule text applies to third-party clients and services that run on as many clients as there are users, more than anything.

Consider the intent and context surrounding this change to the rule: Jagex added that text back when SwiftSwitch's server select screen updated the player counts on each server every X seconds. Now, SwiftSwitch runs once on every player's computer, so if many people use SwiftSwitch, the world select page is hit NumberOfSSUsers/X times per second. This was in the thousands, if not tens of thousands, per second, so this action got their bandwidth costs soaring.

However, no matter how many users RuneScript has, the GE is checked for updates once a minute on one client, which means Jagex gets 1/60 of a request per second. I would say this isn't so bad.

Geupdate.com and the bot GrandExchange on SwiftIRC do the same thing: one set of checks for any number of users.

vaporeon-sig.png

• 1 month later...

Something similar to this is being developed for use site-wide, so at this point we will not be pursuing the idea of putting it into the GEC as it would get slightly redundant. In the mean time, Mil has provided excellent alternatives for you to take a look at and Looce is 100% accurate about Jagex's stance on the matter.

Cheers.

DK

1.png
generic_signature.png