Football (Soccer) Questions

Hamtaro

I used to play football (soccer) as a kid so I know the rules and how the game works. I never really started watching it on television until this World Cup and I'm interested in watching more now (much better than watching American football imo). However, I don't really understand the way world football works. Also, I would prefer explanations over links :-).

• What are the major international tournaments for national teams (other than Brazil '14), and when/how often do they occur?
  • I noticed that the United States plays Brazil on the 10th of August. When are International Friendlies generally played?
  • When are the World Cup qualifiers and how does the whole qualifying process work?
  • How are groups determined (as in which teams are in what group)?
  • What are the biggest rivalries for international teams, as well as in the English, Spanish, and Italian clubs?
  • What is the Club World Cup and how does its qualifying work?

Thanks in advance.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato

The majority of the time you'll see soccer played on the TV (US) it is either for ESPN's MLS match of the week. MLS vs. International friendly matches and the UEFA Champions League final. Not much soccer gets shown on TV unless you have a local MLS team or you sign up for special soccer package.

tFtfA.jpg

• What are the major international tournaments for national teams (other than Brazil '14), and when/how often do they occur?
  • I noticed that the United States plays Brazil on the 10th of August. When are International Friendlies generally played?
  • When are the World Cup qualifiers and how does the whole qualifying process work?
  • How are groups determined (as in which teams are in what group)?
  • What are the biggest rivalries for international teams, as well as in the English, Spanish, and Italian clubs?
  • What is the Club World Cup and how does its qualifying work?

• The World Cup, the European Cup and the Copa America (South America) are held every four years. The AFC Asian Cup, the African Cup of nations, the CONCACAF Gold Cup (North America) and the OFC Nations Cup (Oceania) are held every two years. The FIFA Confederations Cup is held every four years, one year before the World Cup. It consists of all the winners from above tournaments and the hosts of the World Cup.

• International friendlies are usually played before every big national tournament, or every summer and winter break if I'm not mistaken.

• The World Cup qualifiers start two years before every World Cup. In Europe, there are 8 groups of six teams, and one groups of 5 teams. Every national team that finishes first in it's group is automatically qualified for the World Cup. All the teams that finish second in the group compete in a sort of mini play-off tournament, and the winners also go to the World Cup. It's basically the same in the rest of the continents, but with less groups and games are usually played during summer.

• The groups are determined by a draw (Lottery? I don't really know what word to use).

• The biggest rivalries in International football are Brazil vs Argentina, Netherlands vs Germany, England vs Germany and maybe some more. International football rivalries aren't that big.
    Big club rivalries are: Barcelona vs Real Madrid, Liverpool vs Manchester United, AC Milan vs Internazional Milano, Roma vs Lazio, Rangers vs Celtic, Manchester United vs Manchester City, Liverpool vs Everton, Arsenal vs Tottenham, Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid and there are much more, but the first three/four/five are the biggest imo.

• The Club World Cup consists I think of clubs who won their own continental club tournaments like the UEFA Champions League (Europe) or the Copa Libertadores (South America). The winners of these tournaments compete against each other in the Club World Cup. It's not a very important tournament. Biggest club tournament imo is the UEFA Champions League.

Anyway, that's all. Hope I helped.

Just filling in: Seeding alongside draws.

So you don't get a group from Europe containing i.e. Germany, Spain, Italy and England.

The are an enormous amount of rivalries around the world... Some huge derbies in Brazil, São Paulo - Corinthians, Flamengo - Vasco da Gama for example.

I would rank Leeds - Man Utd a bigger derby than what Man City will ever be (what an awesome cup game this winter!).

You also have West Ham - Millwall... Damn, Championship will be extremely interesting this year.

You also have Schalke 04 - Borussia Dortmund in Bundesliga.

And many many more.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

You also have West Ham - Millwall... Damn, Championship will be extremely interesting this year.

West Ham didn't get relegated though, I was hoping that would happen just for that

I know they weren't.

Just said that the Championship will be interesting. You'll have Norwich - Ipswich too for example.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Thank you for the replies, everyone. Sorry that I am late to respond. I was watching Manchester United slaughter MLS :???: . Anyway, my cable sports package provides showings of all American, English, Spanish, and Italian Premier matches, so not being able to view a game is not really a problem. I'll pick a team to follow from each league and make sure to catch the big rivalry games as well. Thanks again for the help, guys.

Player since 2004. All skills 1M+ XP.

Hamtaro.png

"If it were possible to cure evils by lamentation..., then gold would be a less valuable thing than weeping." - Sophocles

"Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato