Herblore cost calculator

I know the cleaning herbs calc is way off, I accidentally switched clean herbs and grimy herbs :(

I already fixed the bug, but the admins haven't gotten round to uploading the fix yet.

Right now the numbers are just switched...

And what do you mean, you're not exactly sure how it works? If it's not really clear, I'll be more than happy to edit it to make it more clear :)

ivo2pe7.gif

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?herb

^^ A herblore cost/xp calculator. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cleaning herbs has the values switched at the moment, but the fix has been submitted.

By saying I didn't know how it worked, I meant how it got the gp/xp(if it took it from ge etc). The rest is fine:)

But I'm sorry, my mistake I misread a bit. Didn't see it went from negative cost to positive. So after checking clean/grimy herb prices, I found most of them would cost money. (And I thought they all showed profit).

I'll edit first post, only the link needs fixing.

Sorry :)

Glad to see somebody using it :)

And right now, the negative number is (supposed to be) bigger than the positive number, so on average, cleaning most herbs is actually profitable right now. My first draft had an average cost/xp too, but there were just too many numbers at one point and I had to drop some.

ivo2pe7.gif

http://www.tip.it/runescape/?herb

^^ A herblore cost/xp calculator. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Cleaning herbs has the values switched at the moment, but the fix has been submitted.

Glad to see somebody using it :)

And right now, the negative number is (supposed to be) bigger than the positive number, so on average, cleaning most herbs is actually profitable right now. My first draft had an average cost/xp too, but there were just too many numbers at one point and I had to drop some.

I do not understand at all how the calc considers the price. Is "X to Y" interval dependant on what? Whether you clean the herbs, buy and sell the stuff for max or min in the GE? Also, does the price range vary accordingly as the price of the materials and potions change in the GE? Otherwise the calc offers very little use.

You should add a detailed guide on how the calc draws its prices in the calc's page.

I do not understand at all how the calc considers the price. Is "X to Y" interval dependant on what? Whether you clean the herbs, buy and sell the stuff for max or min in the GE? Also, does the price range vary accordingly as the price of the materials and potions change in the GE? Otherwise the calc offers very little use.

You should add a detailed guide on how the calc draws its prices in the calc's page.

The minimum cost has you buying materials for the minimum GE price, and selling the potions for the maximum GE price. The maximum cost works the other way around, that is you buy materials for max price and sell potions for min. This is mentioned in the instructions.

The prices are synchronized with the GE, so changes in GE prices are reflected in the numbers produced by the calculator.

Edit: I also broke it. Stay tuned...

The minimum cost has you buying materials for the minimum GE price, and selling the potions for the maximum GE price. The maximum cost works the other way around, that is you buy materials for max price and sell potions for min. This is mentioned in the instructions.

The prices are synchronized with the GE, so changes in GE prices are reflected in the numbers produced by the calculator.

Edit: I also broke it. Stay tuned...

The instructions say:

"It first lists the minimum amount of money you will have to spend (buy min, sell max), then the maximum amount of gold (buy max, sell min)."

Those instructions are far from being as clear as they could be. A simple rephrasing makes it much clearer:

"The calculator yields two values. The first is the money spent if materials are bought at minimum price in the GE and the resulting potions sold at maximum price. The second value is materials bought at maximum price and potions sold at minimum."

Also, there should be a third value, being potions and materials all bought at medium price, which I believe is the most common scenario. The usability improves alot that way.

You're right, it is clearer like that - I'll update the text sometime. Still, ideally, things should be intuitively clear to the user ('cause hardly anybody reads instructions :() so it's a shame that it is in fact not.

As for showing the average cost or profit, while it might seem to be a good idea we've found that it just makes the calculator end up looking pretty cluttered. We figured that most people would care for an estimation of the cost, and an estimation of a medium price cost is easily made by simply taking the average between the minimum and maximum costs. If they really wish to know the exact medium price cost the windows calculator is just a few clicks away.