Mods, Lock Please

bedman

Hello all,

This is the second version of this topic, beacuse the previous one maxed out (hehe, I feel like Zarfot and his mega slayer guide now, though people aren't exactly reading this because of my input). I know the title doesn't 100% reflect what is being discussed in this topic, but I decided to keep the original title for easier recognition.

EDIT: TIP IT TOPICS DON'T MAX OUT. MODS, PLEASE LOCK THIS ONE!

Anyway, let's get started.

This topic is mainly meant to discuss the evolution of rares, spirit shields, and other bought out items. "Hot" items, or items showing some strange behaviour, can also be discussed. Basically, this is where you can discuss most merchanting related stuff.

This is NOT a topic to discuss "solutions" to rares or other weird suggestions. Face it, they've been here for ages, so let's just try to make the best out of it, and see if we can make some money out of them, or at least get some insight into their price changes.

I might add a list of stable junk items, and if I really can be bothered, a list of street prices of all rares and spirit shields. Help on this is always appreciated.

[hide= FAQ]

What is junk?

Junk is a term used for items that are unsellable in the GE. Before manipulation clans became big, junk were mainly items wrongly priced by Jagex in the GE. Maple longbow (u) for isntance, was priced at 144 gp each, and couldn't go lower (opposite of a price ceiling). Because the price couldn't go lower, it was "stable junk".

On the other hand, when a manipulation clan manipulates an item's price much above its "real value", this item will become junk once it is dumped by the clan. This junk is "unstable junk", because it quickly falls back to its original price.

Okay, I understand what junk is now. What is junk trading?

Junk trading occurs when people trade a highly wanted item (that is unbuyable in the GE) together with junk for cash. The cash that is paid, is the "street price". Someone could sell his purple partyhat for instance for 1.2B gp (= street price). This means he sells his partyhat for 450m (current GE price, which you can't evade because of the trade limit) PLUS 750M worth of junk. It is vital to understand that the "real estimated price" (what people would pay if there was no trade limit) is LOWER than the street price, because although junk is unsellable in the GE, it still holds some value. In my example, the real estimated price could be around 900m. This means that someone would be willing to pay 900m CASH for nothing but the partyhat. People are paying more (1.2B) because they get 750m worth of junk with it, which they hope to turn into cash (around 300m). In the end, the player ends up with a partyhat and 300m cash, so essentially, he has paid 900m for it.

Schematic

1.2B cash <=> partyhat + 750m junk

750m junk <=> 300m cash

***add up both of them and scratch the junk at both sides***

1.2B cash <=> partyhat + 300m cash

900m cash <=> partyhat

[/hide]

[hide= First post of the previous Topic]

taken from RSOF:

Okay since today 3A has been changed to 10% and by looks of it Spirit shields may be 20%, Spectral has gone up 22m or so in 2 days.

Last couple of days Partyhats have been picking up aswell, except the higher ones such as white and blue.

How long do Spirit Shields and 3A have long left? will Partyhats % be changed, will merchanters dump there 3a/shields and move onto Partyhats and other cheaper goods?

Or maybe they will hog 3A even more for EVEN MORE profit?

What are your thoughts

So what does tip it think of this? I'm pretty interested to see what's going to happen.

EDIT: the original post is very old. In the mean time, 3a has crashed, spirit shields have crashed and picked up again. Partyhats have picked up again. 3rd age is recently picking up again, and whatnot. Also, this topic seems to have become the place for general merchanting talk, and I think that is a nice evolution. Seen a recent strange price rise and can't explain it? Having troubles deciding whether or not to dump your dragon bones? Well, hopefully we can help you, or at least have a nice discussion about it.

Let's recap: this topic is now used to discuss the trends on the "big" items (Rares, 3rd age, Spirit Shields, ...). Questions about other items will most probably be answered too.

[/hide]

Seems I can't edit titles -edit: I can :-)

And someone please tell me the picture thread (stickied) is an exception on the 200 page limit. If not, I feel stupid for making a useless extra Topic :-)

Thats what i wondered, lets spam up the other topic and find out?

Low_C.png

Seems I can't edit titles -edit: I can :-)

And someone please tell me the picture thread (stickied) is an exception on the 200 page limit. If not, I feel stupid for making a useless extra Topic :-)

I don't think threads on tipit can max out, check out the Off topic forum and forum games.

Staurolite.png

200 pages isn't the limit.

There is a thread up in the stickies that is 369 pages.

Somebody hit the abort button. :idea:

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Yeah, there's no limit. We used to clean up the Gen. Disc. pictures thread because of the way it was stored on the old boards (I believe, but I could be wrong here). :lol:

No worries. :)

hopesolopatriot.jpg