Why the Combat Triangle Is More Balanced Than You Think

TheAncient

This went well...

tif is dead.

OT:

I agree, the problem is that for range+mage you need 20m+ in gear+dg rewards etc. etc. for melee you just throw on some barrows+a whip with d'hide in your invent and destroy anyone in sight. Also, dangerous pvp+MH is completely broken in terms of the combat triangle.

DK drops (solo/LS): 66 hatchets, 14 archer rings, 13 berserker rings, 17 warrior rings, 12 seerculls, 13 mud staves, 7 seers rings

QBD drops: 1 kite, 2 visages, 4 dragonbone kits, 3 effigies, lots of crossbow parts

CR vs. CLS threads always turn into discussions about penis size.
It's not called a Compensation Longsword for nothing.

I've sent a 12k combat mission to have Aiel assassinated (poor bastard isn't even Pincers-tier difficulty).

DM0Yq2c.png

Hey guys, i personally think efficiency is good for the game because it creates a better atmosphere. It makes people better at the game and creates less noobs. Pvp is a waste of time because the opportunity cost lost is significant and should be spent gaining more...oh...wait a second...oh yeah...

If you kill more people in safe PvP you get to feel good about yourself (and you probably SPENT a lot of money to do it). That's a pretty big difference even for people who aren't efficiency-minded.

I would say that you're trying to have fun. So yes, there is a pretty big difference in that respect - one might be more entertaining in the eyes of some.

Safe PvP is interesting and involves a lot of skill, but has no reward whatsoever for doing very well instead of just okay, so it really doesn't count as balancing in the sense of making every type of combat equally useful.

Again, it is not about the rewards but rather the intrinsic entertainment value. It's no fun to play if one side of the triangle is weighted more so than the other.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Honestly, range needs to catch up again, because a max mager dominates a max ranger, which isn't supposed to happen.

If the ranger has void+deflector and rigour I have a hard time imagining this.

The main weakness of range nowadays is that to be maxed (i.e. rigour), you give up soul split.

Void isn't good for PVP unless your definition of range PVP is hit and run with a dbow spec.

You'd be better off in dhides for real encounter, especially if your going to use rigor.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Honestly, range needs to catch up again, because a max mager dominates a max ranger, which isn't supposed to happen.

The main weakness of range nowadays is that to be maxed (i.e. rigour), you give up soul split.

Void isn't good for PVP unless your definition of range PVP is hit and run with a dbow spec.

You'd be better off in dhides for real encounter, especially if your going to use rigor.

Nah, void+deflector gives max dps for range. I'm also pretty sure void+deflector rangers can beat dhide rangers... and void+deflector rangers are definitely better against mages than dhide rangers

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

Nah, void+deflector gives max dps for range. I'm also pretty sure void+deflector rangers can beat dhide rangers... and void+deflector rangers are definitely better against mages than dhide rangers

Range on Range you strap on armoured legs & a helm & a good shield.

Void range doesn't have a chance.

Exclusive Legacy Mode Player

Golvellius.png

He just successfully trolled you with "courtesy" and managed to get a reaction out of you. Lol

Range on Range you strap on armoured legs & a helm & a good shield.

Void range doesn't have a chance.

if you're hybriding, which you should be, then just switch to mage; tanked range loses to magic

sigcopyaf.png

Ever wanted to find street prices of RS items? Check out the SPOLI Index

Nex Drops: Pernix Cowl, Pernix Chaps, Torva Helm, Torva Platebody, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Chaps, Virtus Robe Legs, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Mask, Torva Legs, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Zaryte Bow, Virtus Robe Legs, Virtus Robe Top, Virtus Robe Top, Torva Platelegs, Zaryte Bow, Pernix Body, Torva Platelegs, Torva Platelegs, Virtus Robe Top

[hide]

^ But whats the point of money if you don't spend it? And isn't spending it on dominating in safe PVP one of the best ways? I'm not trolling you, and I never even mentioned efficiency until you two brought that up.

Also, when you kill monsters, and run into a dry streak, you don't feel good about yourself and you get frustrated. At least in safe PVP you feel good, no?

You're right. Nobody should ever try to improve their characters or do things that benefit them, and safe PvP is OMG SO IMPORTANT.

Let's get back on topic.

Lol? So I can't disagree with you? We are on topic.

Trololol.

Stop making everything about disagreeing with efficiency. It's not related to the topic. Go troll the exclusive content thread.

Lol'd. I never even mentioned efficiency. Read what I type, don't just assume. You can be efficient as you want, I don't even care, I'm just trying to put a little perspective from my view on why safe PVP is not as useless as you think. If that counts as trolling and anti-efficiency, then :lol:

[/hide]

I agree with All is great...he never brought up efficiency...green did.

Just because it doesn't make you money, doesn't mean it shouldn't be looked at.

That being said...Magic is Overpowered in Safe Pvp, assuming the mage is actually smart about combat.

Meleers are actually the weakest, since they get frozen, and can't do anything. At least rangers are good for tanking in Safe Pvp situations. They can take a lot of damage, and hit accurately on other players.

A good example is Clan wars. A team with mostly mages and some range/melee hybrid tanks is ideal. The more mages you have, the more control you have over the field. Melee is only good as a switch for specs and random high hits to quickly take down a pile. However, if the mages on the other team is smart, you should only be able to get one shot off with melee, 2 if you get lucky (but lets face it, most mages don't really watch for that, so a lot of meleers go noticed...makes for fun with a maul :rolleyes: )

whatisrush-1.png

Fisher/Woodcut------Me-----Miner/crafter----Stabber----Leecher

^Golvellius must be so proud^

FlowerPower.png

I've always thought each combat style had its niche.

What i will say is that in a dangerous PVP situation, range and mage is generally more combat level efficient than melee is, with the sole exception of KO power. This is why range tanks are so powerful, because they have maxed ranged/mage at a comparitively low level compared to there meleer friends.

O.O