made a beat. :)

emers8529

www.reverbnation.com/curtiskush

i have it on there. its bad.. its the first beat i've ever made and it took ~30 mins. i have 0 experience in making beats too.. so don't have too high of expectations.

constructive criticism is always welcome :)

I like getting hard when I PK

yeah i was goin thru all the sounds i had.. if i knew how to change the pitch of sounds or how long they played / how fast (not the tempo) then i would have.. but i seriously have no idea what im doin wit fl9 .. or any fl for that matter haha. but this song is pretty fail.. i tried putting it on a cd then onto my ps3 and it sounded like junk. the bass goes to all the speakers, not just the sub.. it sounds so distorted :|

FL8 user here (Same thing really... but I didn't get it very legally and updating would be a hassle).

It's not bad, but I'd use a harder kick (LM1 kick, 505) and a thicker snare (LM1, 707), especially if you're trying to make DnB (ditch the whole 808 set in that case, it's not going to be of any use). By the way, don't use phasers on your drums, ever. This is only my opinion, but I find phasers are only rivaled by choruses and flangers on the [cabbage]ty effect podium (though they're alright if they're unrecognizable); on drums, experiment with reverb, distortion, compression... but not oscillating effects.

What's your workflow? I'm asking because I didn't understand the concept of the playlist until a month after I got FL, I was making whole tracks in one single pattern. :P

Use the help files. Everytime you don't understand how something works. They're pretty thorough.

Don't use too many synth presets.

Get lots of VST plugins, especially effects.

Learn to use Sytrus.

I'll post a batch of VSTs and soundfonts soon.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Alright, good. Have you started to look at the mixer effects?

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Did you wanted a gnarly, rubbery bass like Justice uses in Phantom pt. II for example, or the type Flying Lotus uses in Clock Catcher? I'd personally use Sytrus (don't use BooBass, it'll never sound the way you want it to :P). Try the Deep, Deep2 or Deep3 presets. You might want to low-pass them, and make a sub bass.

got another beat called "bump"

let me know whatcha guys think :)

btw, its another simple beat that took me 20 mins, i was testing out something with the bass.. see if it changes how it bumps :)

You need more syncopation. In other words, strong hits that aren't on the beat.

O = Kick, S = Snare, each character is a 16th note, 4/4 signature:

|O--O--O-S---O--O|

This will allow your beats to be more interesting. Also, add more texture, more layers of sound. I still think your bass isn't working, the low frequencies are barely audible.

You need more syncopation. In other words, strong hits that aren't on the beat.

O = Kick, S = Snare, each character is a 16th note, 4/4 signature:

|O--O--O-S---O--O|

This will allow your beats to be more interesting. Also, add more texture, more layers of sound. I still think your bass isn't working, the low frequencies are barely audible.

go listen to my new beat "do it big".. let me know if it has more syncopation