add checkboxes to some quests

essiw

Hi all,

I recently saw your new diary page (which should be named tasks I think, but that is not what i wanted to say) and saw the nice checkbox system that you used at quests too.

Now my idea is, maybe you can add that system to some quest pages where you need to collect things (like rag and bone man and fur 'n' seek)

I also got a second idea. Under tips and tricks of quest pages are sometimes things you can do after the quest (like getting extra xp if you have level xx in a skill, or for example get a helm if you have 300questpoints). It would be great to see a page which lists things like this, so you can easily see if you can get something new.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

No I mean like at http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?rs2quest_id=200 under Tips, tricks & notes. And then not only the xp bonuses but also the coins.

This idea is because you can complete the quest without getting those things and then forget that you could get them (so that you don't need to search all the quest pages for those things).

But yeah it could look like that table but then you could add checkboxes to see which things you still need to do.

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if something like this is planned?

Recently there was a thread about something like this, which made me think that my second idea could be solved by making a page for the completenist cape (which checkboxes).

Now I got an other idea for checkboxes, the music page, which would make it easier to see which songs you still have to unlock :)

Retired item crew

One main reason why we allow people to have the site "remember" what quests they've done is to have the quest calculator work properly, such that it doesn't suggest quests you've already completed. It's not because tip.it is your personal notepad.

For the Rag 'n Bone Man / Fur 'n Seek collect-a-thons, I'm sure the in-game list works just fine. The "extra xp if you have x skill level" objectives can typically be done during the quest, unless you don't have said skill requirement. If you don't, chances are getting the required skill will be a pretty long term goal - quite possibly longer than your tip.it cookie will last. Listing such bonus objectives in the quest xp guide or on their own separate page (if we list optional non-xp rewards too) would be nice, I agree. In-game, they're hidden deep inside completed quest logs which is less than ideal.

As for seeing what songs you still need to unlock, I would suggest scrolling through your song list and taking note of which songs have a red text. Many people already have hundreds of songs unlocked, and I doubt that they'd be willing to go and tick a couple hundred checkboxes just so our site can remember which :P

One main reason why we allow people to have the site "remember" what quests they've done is to have the quest calculator work properly, such that it doesn't suggest quests you've already completed. It's not because tip.it is your personal notepad.

For the Rag 'n Bone Man / Fur 'n Seek collect-a-thons, I'm sure the in-game list works just fine. The "extra xp if you have x skill level" objectives can typically be done during the quest, unless you don't have said skill requirement. If you don't, chances are getting the required skill will be a pretty long term goal - quite possibly longer than your tip.it cookie will last. Listing such bonus objectives in the quest xp guide or on their own separate page (if we list optional non-xp rewards too) would be nice, I agree. In-game, they're hidden deep inside completed quest logs which is less than ideal.

As for seeing what songs you still need to unlock, I would suggest scrolling through your song list and taking note of which songs have a red text. Many people already have hundreds of songs unlocked, and I doubt that they'd be willing to go and tick a couple hundred checkboxes just so our site can remember which :P

While I agree with the in quest guide checkboxes not being ideal, I thought of an idea for a completenist cape with checkboxes. Also your point about why the quest database has checkboxes doesn't explain why the task list has checkboxes ;)

About the song database I am fine with that, it was just a little idea ;)

Retired item crew

Would be nice for completionist capes, in a way, as the in-game interface is less than ideal for those. But again, cookie lifespan roars its ugly head - if anything's a long-term goal, it's the OCD capes.

I guess for the tasks it's done for readability, mostly. I doubt that people actually keep track of completed task across all task pages, but it's nice to trim down a list of easy tasks while working on it, as completing it will likely be a relatively short-term goal. I'm not at all sure, though, it's not like we document our design decisions here :-P