New Pc (Mobo/Case/CPUI)

Lord Diddy

Thread is done, built my system with the following specs a few weeks ago, it cost a little over 1 grand, and works beautifully and very-very happy with the results.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=16525146

Heatsink:

- COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus (simply amazing, 29 C/idle 45 C/load overclocked)

Operating System

- MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Processor

-I5 2500k 3.2 GHz (O.C to 4.2-4.8, depending on my mood :wink: )

Memory

-6.0GB DDR3 (9-9-9-24) 1600mhz

Motherboard

-ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 PRO (LGA1155) (Amazing motherboard)

GPU

-ATI Radeon HD 5770

Optical Drives

- CD reader

- DVD burner

Audio

-Realtek High Definition Audio

windowsrating.png

Pics

http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/8522/img20110126213454.jpg

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/740/img20110130202122.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6949/img20110130182034.jpg

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/543/img20110130183459.jpg

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/3244/img20110202021611.jpg

[hide]From my last thread about upgrading my psu and video card I've decided to go for the full upgrade. Recycling my HDDS, optical devices, new psu and video card. Can anyone suggest good (budget reasonable) upgrades for the following. Any advice, products etc appreciated. Looking for the following.

Edit what I have so far, advice and alternatives greatly appreciated (budget build)

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop

Memory: G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Heatsink (Do I need this?): COOLER MASTER V8 RR-UV8-XBU1-GP 120mm Rifle CPU

Thermal: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Current Setup

[hide]Stock XPS 400 - http://support.euro.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps400/sm/specs.htm#wp1053343

Operating System

-MS Windows XP Media Center Edition Professional 32-bit SP3

PSU

-Corsair 650 Watt NEW

Processor

-Intel Pentium D 820

Memory

-4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 332MHz (5-5-5-14)

Mobo

-Dell Inc. 0YC523 (Microprocessor)

Video Card

-ATI Radeon HD 5770 Series NEW

Hard Drives

-156GB SAMSUNG SAMSUNG (SATA) Slave

-625GB Western Digital WDC (SATA) Master

Optical Drives

-SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

-PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8701

-HSRCB PM70DQZW SCSI CdRom Device

Sound Card

-AMD High Definition Audio Device [/hide]

Questions:

-Will the stock heatsink that comes with processor be of high quality? (im not overclocking much, only if i need the extra speed), recommendations on suitable (budget) products.

-Does keeping OS boot on a seperate HDD affect overall performance, or only on and off speeds? Like buying another 7200 rpm drive and keeping my files and OS seperate, would a partition give me the same results?

-How much memory is appropriate for this system, 4? 6? (props for finding good deals) [/hide]

randomkcopyq.png

I would recommend this for a good all around computer that will last for some while:

Chassis

- Obsidian 800, Its quite expensive and large but it's very high quality and perfect for later upgrades (timeless design). I'm not really into shops and prices because I'm from Norway :(

Operating System

- Buy Windows 7 Home Premium

PSU

- Use the new PSU

Processor

- Buy the cheapest i5 and overclock it or just use as is. (Get a Noctua MB fan if you want to overclock, else use included box fan)

Memory

- Buy 6GB DDR3 Corsair or kingston ValureRam

Mobo

- Read some reviews of Motherboards which are good to Overclock with, check out Asus and GigaByte. Make sure the socket is the same as the CPU

Video Card

- Keep your new Gfx card

Hard Drives

- Keep HDDs, SSD is a too high step in price for you.

Optical Drives

- Keep these if you want or throw them out of your window.

Sound Card

- Mobo sound card should be enough for your budget.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Case is really up to your discrestion. If it fits everything, it is simply down to what you like (so long as it has enough fans etc).

For us to give you any specific parts, you need to give us a specific budget that you want to spend. Just a max price for everything is good.

I would go with a DDR3 motherboard, seeing as you're updating anyway. DDR2 will be phased out and DDR3 will become the new standared. I would get an Intel because they are overclock-able and the 1156 socket will be around for a while yet. Ditch an optical drive or two if you can, they like to eat power. You'll want to buy Windows 7 x64 as well so you can utilise all of your RAM and add more in the future (32 bit only recognises up to 3.5GB RAM).

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I would go with a DDR3 motherboard, seeing as you're updating anyway. DDR2 will be phased out and DDR3 will become the new standared.

DDR2 is already phased out, and DDR3 is the norm. Which is why DDR2 RAM prices are going up.

CPU : Im shooting for an i5 said above (not a fan of overclocking honestly) but ill get the 2500K version. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

Motherboard : Any DDR3 LGA 1155 board to fit the processor

Case: Still deciding on a mid tower or full tower

Question[/u]: I should buy a small 40 gb HDD to boot from right, was thinking about a SSD but i need to find one in budget.

randomkcopyq.png

The new core i5 K processor overclocks to 5Ghz on air, so with a decent heatsink you should easily be able to hit a stable 4Ghz no problem.

Even that is not so.

All of these netbooks shipping with Windows 7 Starter edition have an x86 OS, as Windows 7 Starter edition is not available for x86_64.

As far as I can tell, Apple plans to support x86 with their next release.

I wouldn't suggest a preference for x86 over x86_64, all else same. Regardless, it really isn't completely phased out of production, let alone use.

Apple just dropped core2 last year, and still sell computers with Ati 4xxx cards in them. I'd hardly say they stay current with technology.

The main reason for 64bit is 4+ GB of RAM, but there is no reason to purchase a 32bit OS unless you need to run one of the few programs that won't run in 64bit.

The main reason for 64bit is 4+ GB of RAM, but there is no reason to purchase a 32bit OS unless you need to run one of the few programs that won't run in 64bit.

This

To be honest, you (nomally) buy the x86 and x64 editions together, and you may as well install x86 seeing as you a) Can't upgrade from x86 to x64, and x86 will eventually become obselete, so you may as well go to x64 now b) you can upgrade your RAM without the headache of reinstalling os again.

OP, you may as well overclock, even just a little.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Get the 2500K over the standard 2500, it's only like $20 more and you will regret not paying the extra.

What are you looking for in a motherboard?

This one is really nice for the cost, giving you SLI/Xfire support with 3 slot spacing, SATA3 and USB3. It is an ASRock, which has had negative reviews in the past but has turned itself around recently.

So far my choices for my setup, anyone is free to offer alternatives or give advice. Please remmeber im going for the *most bang for your buck* build, not going for maxed out everything just a good 4-6 year quality rig.

Case : Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop

Questions:

-Will the stock heatsink that comes with processor be of high quality? (im not overclocking much, only if i need the extra speed), recommendations on suitable (budget) products.

-Does keeping OS boot on a seperate HDD affect overall performance, or only on and off speeds? Like buying another 7200 rpm drive and keeping my files and OS seperate, would a partition give me the same results?

-How much memory is appropriate for this system, 4? 6? (props for finding good deals)

randomkcopyq.png

I'd take the Asrock board over the one you picked, it has all the same features, except it'll allow you to Xfire another 5770 when you want more power in the future. The 5770 will probably come down to about $100 by the end of the year, and buying a second will save money on upgrading your GPUs

ASUS is a very strong name in motherboards, along with an extra year long warrenty over ASrock. I'd rather pick a company im comfortable with instead of taking a risk.

No idea why I picked a mid-tower at first, barely had enough room in my current case. Picking a full tower

Which one? im more partial to the cooler master one (don't let a few blue LEDs fool you)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20600006304&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=7|11-129-043^11-129-043-TS%2C11-119-160^11-119-160-TS

randomkcopyq.png

ASUS is a very strong name in motherboards, along with an extra year long warrenty over ASrock. I'd rather pick a company im comfortable with instead of taking a risk.

No idea why I picked a mid-tower at first, barely had enough room in my current case. Picking a full tower

Which one? im more partial to the cooler master one (don't let a few blue LEDs fool you)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007583%20600006304&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&CompareItemList=7|11-129-043^11-129-043-TS%2C11-119-160^11-119-160-TS

Asrock is owned by Asus.

I have a Asrock board here, haven't caused any problems but is a bit limited. Good for budget builds.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I have the HAF 932. It's a great case, with a lot of fans and lots of space inside. Only thing you need to know it it's big. Im talking Xbox hueg. It's almost 2 feet long, so make sure you have room wherever you want to keep it. Also, be sure to put the CPU cooler on before you install the MoBo, even though it claims you can access it from the rear, I had to install mine with only two of the four screws.

• 1 month later...

If you're not going to overclock the cpu, then you don't need a HSF, it's cool enough with the fan you get with the cpu.

And remember, wait for the fixed LGA 1155 boards to come out in March/April unless you want malfunctioning Sata II ports.

The MOBO you chose is indeed two channel so you have to go with 2*2gb or 2*4gb.

The HAF series has very nice cases imo, either HAF 912+ or HAF 932 if you go mid tower, HAF X if full tower.

When it comes to SSD, yes they are still very expensive, but there really is a difference between them and a normal HDD.

Go with either Corsair Force 2 series or OCZ Vertex 2. 60GB is enough to store your OS and some big programs.

And remember, wait for the fixed LGA 1155 boards to come out in March/April unless you want malfunctioning Sata II ports.

^This, if you're going with sandy bridge (i7 2xxx). It's definitely worth the wait. A slightly overclocked 2600k (It's incredibly easy to OC it) destroys a 980x.

^This, if you're going with sandy bridge (i7 2xxx). It's definitely worth the wait. A slightly overclocked 2600k (It's incredibly easy to OC it) destroys a 980x.

Thanks for all the replys guys, I already built this system a few weeks ago. Works brilliantly, will post specs of my current rig on first post. I know about the malfunction, I already have a wait for a new board.

Cheers.

randomkcopyq.png

Nice build. Just a couple questions. What speed is the RAM, and how do you find the 5770? Just so I know if someone asks in the future.

Thanks, the ram working at 1600mhz, the 5770 is on newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product.

randomkcopyq.png

Nice build. Just a couple questions. What speed is the RAM, and how do you find the 5770? Just so I know if someone asks in the future.

Thanks, the ram working at 1600mhz, the 5770 is on newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150447&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-447-_-Product.

Do you plan to overclock at all? It'd be interesting to see how far you can get it on air.

Oh yeah, and I meant how does the 5770 preform for you? I've heard it's a great preforming card for the price.