Mac or PC?

egyptqueen1

It's easy to see why Apple has less repairs to make, and it's as simple as uniform hardware. What I mean by that is that they all have the same hardware, which means that there isn't any driver issues with them, which is probably one of the main causes of problems on Linux and Windows machines. They just have so many parts to support..

That's exactly right. If something goes wrong there is only one company to blame. Can't be passing blame to microsoft or to ati or nvidea. Apple designs everything to fit together. If there is a weak part in the machine it is there own. It's nice that there is no need to go searching for drivers ever.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to see why Apple has less repairs to make, and it's as simple as uniform hardware. What I mean by that is that they all have the same hardware, which means that there isn't any driver issues with them, which is probably one of the main causes of problems on Linux and Windows machines. They just have so many parts to support..

That's exactly right. If something goes wrong there is only one company to blame. Can't be passing blame to microsoft or to ati or nvidea. Apple designs everything to fit together. If there is a weak part in the machine it is there own. It's nice that there is no need to go searching for drivers ever.

You appear to be making out that apple make 100% of the computers components. That.. isn't true. They use ATI cards, Intel and/or AMD cards, and probably more. I'd like to add that you don't need to go searching for drivers on a windows machine unless you've reinstalled windows because they're already installed. Your last point confuses me - Microsoft do not make the drivers, the manufacturers do. They want their parts to run as smoothly as possible on a windows machine, thus surely they would make the drivers work easily? Which they do. So I'm not sure what you're really trying to say.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

You appear to be making out that apple make 100% of the computers components. That.. isn't true. They use ATI cards, Intel and/or AMD cards, and probably more. I'd like to add that you don't need to go searching for drivers on a windows machine unless you've reinstalled windows because they're already installed. Your last point confuses me - Microsoft do not make the drivers, the manufacturers do. They want their parts to run as smoothly as possible on a windows machine, thus surely they would make the drivers work easily? Which they do. So I'm not sure what you're really trying to say.

Apple only uses a select few components from the manufacturers like ATI and Intel and therefore can customize their systems directly with them. I'm sure the cards from ATI and Intel are not the same as any other brand. Apple probably has a completely custom built unit for them.

I thought that most people realized that drivers aren't a problem on any platform anymore? Those "Get a Mac" ads that are about drivers are a big load of crap from any perspective. Windows installs them automatically. Linux installs almost all of them automatically, or already has them in the kernel.

C2b6gs7.png

[hide]

[/hide]

Apple only uses a select few components from the manufacturers like ATI and Intel and therefore can customize their systems directly with them. I'm sure the cards from ATI and Intel are not the same as any other brand. Apple probably has a completely custom built unit for them.

So you're suggesting that Intel custom-makes specific CPU's tailored to Apple's needs? Noty.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I thought that most people realized that drivers aren't a problem on any platform anymore? Those "Get a Mac" ads that are about drivers are a big load of crap from any perspective. Windows installs them automatically. Linux installs almost all of them automatically, or already has them in the kernel.

That's part of the problem - it doesn't do a very good job in many cases. Linux worked well for me, but I never used it to the extent that I used Windows.

Not saying that one is better than the other; each has its drawbacks. For Apple it's customizability and for Windows it's the installation and support.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

That's part of the problem - it doesn't do a very good job in many cases. Linux worked well for me, but I never used it to the extent that I used Windows.

Not saying that one is better than the other; each has its drawbacks. For Apple it's customizability and for Windows it's the installation and support.

Except unless you're buying shady hardware, all the drivers should be available online, and you are able to manually install them yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you can't even manually install your own drivers on Macs. I know that for software like flash and java, you have to use Apples version, even if you don't like the new update.

Except unless you're buying shady hardware, all the drivers should be available online, and you are able to manually install them yourself. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but you can't even manually install your own drivers on Macs. I know that for software like flash and java, you have to use Apples version, even if you don't like the new update.

It doesn't matter if they're available online or not. Several people, including myself, have (or had) driver issues even when it comes straight from the hardware distributor. And while no, you cannot install other drivers on OS X, you can revert back to previous versions. For Flash, you're free to download it from Adobe's site -- I'm currently using the new beta (ie, not distributed by Apple). For Java, you can revert back to previous versions and, unless I am misinformed, Apple no longer distributes its own Java.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

It doesn't matter if they're available online or not. Several people, including myself, have (or had) driver issues even when it comes straight from the hardware distributor. And while no, you cannot install other drivers on OS X, you can revert back to previous versions. For Flash, you're free to download it from Adobe's site -- I'm currently using the new beta (ie, not distributed by Apple). For Java, you can revert back to previous versions and, unless I am misinformed, Apple no longer distributes its own Java.

Adobe does not distribute Java for the Apple, it's part of the updates that Apple sends out.

And I currently am having driver issues on my windows desktop so they do still exist.

Well, first off, Adobe has never supplied Java. :P

And according to this news post, Apple will no longer be maintaining Java support.

Sun (now Oracle) supplies Java for all other platforms. They have their own release schedules' date=' which are almost always different than ours, so the Java we ship is always a version behind. This may not be the best way to do it.[/quote']
hopesolopatriot.jpg