Tempest - No Playwrights allowed

Retech

Chess  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Have you learned how to play chess before?

• Yes
    • Kinda
    • Not Really
    • No

So Archi introduced me to this very fun game, called Tempest. Now it is essentially real-time chess. One can move any piece that they would like at any time, but there is a cooldown following its movement before it can be moved again (varying on game type).

Now the great thing about the game is that all you need to learn is how chess pieces move. After that, it bears no resemblance to chess strategy whatsoever. Of course, I am pretty horrible at Tempest, when I tried to apply real chess openings and strategies to it.

So how the pieces move, if anyone is curious:

Pawns - Move forward one square usually, but can move two squares if it hasn't moved before. Only moves forward and can only capture directly diagonally

Knight - L Shaped. Two squares one way and one square another, making an L shaped. They can also jump over pieces.

Bishops - Move as diagonally as far as they want

Rooks - Move as far horizontally or vertically

Queen - Can move diagonally, horizontally, or vertically as far as it wants

King - One square in any direction

Now I was thinking it could become a fun tavern game because no one has basically learned the theory or have any idea about the game, it is relatively fast and easy to set up, there is an existing server that is free, and it is really easy to learn.

To find the site, search "tempest chess"

Thoughts, questions, comments? Please post if you are interested! This does require a small download, but I am pretty sure it is safe, seeing as it is essentially the hub for this game.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I know the rules and such, but I'm not that good, fairly mediocre/average. I have trouble beating the computer sometimes at the low levels, and I've rarely won on the top levels.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

I know the rules and such, but I'm not that good, fairly mediocre/average. I have trouble beating the computer sometimes at the low levels, and I've rarely won on the top levels.

Yeah, it's not even close to real chess. Chess ability is not relavant, as long as you know how to move the pieces.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Yeah, it's not even close to real chess. Chess ability is not relavant, as long as you know how to move the pieces.

Ah then I complete noob then.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Ico, if Retech hasn't alreadt badgered you into playing, you should play, I lost 9 out of 11 games against Retech(before he spent the day playing the game), so we are probably around the same skill level =)

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.