Windows program equivilants for Linux

Guy

1) I have linux on my USB stick. When I install programs, then reboot, the program is no longer there. How can I stop this from happening?

2) I need system utilities for Linux. Something identical to piriform speccy would be amazing (ie. something that will tell me frequency and type of RAM, clock speed/voltage/temperature of CPU, motherboard infomation, HDD information etc). Also a Prime95 equivilant for torture tests. I checked - speccy doesn't work well with Wine.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: 'hardinfo' is a good program

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

1) I have linux on my USB stick. When I install programs, then reboot, the program is no longer there. How can I stop this from happening?

The program isnt there because the linux version of yours is loaded from the usb with only the original linux files when you reboot, solve this by installing linux or get the programs you need as portableapps.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

Something identical to piriform speccy would be amazing (ie. something that will tell me frequency and type of RAM, clock speed/voltage/temperature of CPU, motherboard infomation, HDD information etc).

There is such a program shipped with Ubuntu already. It's not pretty, but it'll do the job. (Except for temperature monitoring- There's another program for that)

Simply enter this command: (lshw stands for "list hardware")

sudo lshw

Type in your password and it gives you all the information you need to know about your computer.

As for temperature monitoring, there's a program and an applet for your gnome panel that can do that for you. Of course you should have installed Ubuntu before you attempt to install any programs for permanent use:

sudo apt-get install libsensors4 sensors-applet
sudo sensors-detect

Then you might have to reboot. I don't really remember. Then right-click on the panel where you want to display whatever temperatures and add the applet, I think it's called "hardware sensors monitor".

C2b6gs7.png