Extensive suggestion/guide: How to detect and stop scammers

Ts_Stormrage

I'm sure a lot of people have been down that road, and got something in a trade that they did not quite expect...

The first, foremost, and most mentioned suggestion to this above everything else is:

ALWAYS CHECK THE 2ND TRADE SCREEN

Unfortunately, JaGeX has not implemented a 5 second delay until you can click "accept" a second time (HINT HINT!), so you gotta teach yourself to do it... YES EVEN WHEN TRADING YEARS-LONG TRUSTED FRIENDS... make it a habit!

Scamming can be done by a single person, but also by a group of people... I'll be trying to tell you what to look out for, and what you can do to help with the fight against scammers

The best way to stop scammers is simple: DO NOT GET SCAMMED... if you know every scam in the book, then it's hard indeed to get scammed...

The selling low, buying high-team

One guy is in a corner of a bank selling some un-rare item for a few hundred k, and someone on the other side of the bank is buying it for a few mill... This might look like a lucrative deal, BUT DO NOT FALL FOR IT...

Here is a list of items that are often used in such a scam (taken from Jagex' forums and added some):

4-dose potions

Charcoal

Machete

Crushed Gemstone

SPINACH ROLL

Elemental Shields

Paramaya Inn Ticket

Gnome Ball (will be seen more now since I wrote this

Pete's Candlestick

Toy Horses

Unfermented wine

Bad wine

Shantay Dislaimer (prolly most useless item ever)

Half-pizza's, parts of cakes and pies

Hollow reed

Bark

Colored gloves (f2p, watch out, theyre no more then 650gp)

Black items (including scimitar and claws)

Gold Nugget

Parts of Shield of Arrav (you can only get the reward once, no matter how much shields you make)

Eye patches

Fire (lit) arrows

Shade robes

Sliced and/or diced fruits (pineapple, banana)

Snelms

Cleaning Cloth

Limestone (bricks)

Sulfur

Palm Leaves

Sticky red goop

Eye of gnome

Drinks and ales

Maple logs (for f2p people)

Teak and mahogany logs

burnt bones

monkey bones

rock hammer

OBSIDIAN RING (the ring you throw as ranged weapon)

These items are neither rare, nor much of value, DONT SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED COINS ON THIS!

The second and more DANGEROUS scamming method is people who substitute one item just before trading, with another, hoping you dont look at the 2nd screen...

People have literaly lost millions on some of these scams, and I will highlight what I know... And ofcourse, try to keep it updated of Tip.it lets me :)

Usually the items look the same, but in some cases, the scammer is bold, and hands you a bogus item :)

-Leaf-bladed spear for Guthans spear

-Willow logs for magic logs

-1000k for 100k (or similar instant-devaluation... 111k to 11k is one of em too, careful with these)

-Rune items for mithril items

-rock hammer for granite maul

Other scams are:

"Follow me to xXxXx"... Why? if you have somethign to trade, you can give it right there and then... not in deep wildy...

"Free armor trimming" This is IMPOSSIBLE, even for members

"Free smithing/enchanting/gem cutting" Dont do it, unless you get the finished item back in the same trade as you give HIM the unfinished item (so dont give him an uncut ruby, unless he gives you a cut one in return in the same trade window)

"Give me your item, i will double it for you" is also a classic one

"drop item, and press alt+f4, it will duplicate" will also NOT work

"i can make you a mod/member for free" will also never work

"hey, i wanna check out your whip, follow me to wildy" they will give you 4 dragon longswords, or another item of more shop value, so they will kill you and you loose your whip

So basicly giving ANYTHING without compensation directly at the same trade, is a BAD IDEA!!!

YOU can stop scammers as well...

Just go to the more populated places, and report the people you see that are scamming someone...

OR, even better... if someone tries a scam on you, immediatly contact some friends to tele to that location again...

TRUST ME when i say that if a scammer has struck once, he will try it again in the same place...

One of my mates got scammed out of a few hundred k coins, but instead of reporting him and shouting about it, he reported him, and contacted me and a few other people...

We traded him again with a similar deal, and each and every one of us reported him (scammers only want cash, they dont care for names)... I think he got reported about 8 times for the same scam...

He no longer exists in the highscores :)

Thats it for now for my anti-scam guide... i'll be posting an anti hack guide soon...

Tip.it mods: Feel free to sticky it if found fitting

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Another scam could be when you are in the duel arena and you are fighting with range and the person puts no shield on and wins because you cant use your range and you lose the stake. this happened to me because i didnt remember a bow is a two handed weapon.

Also the scammer could put no ranged or no melee on at the last minute and you miss it in the second screen

bumperdibump

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Another scam could be when you are in the duel arena and you are fighting with range and the person puts no shield on and wins because you cant use your range and you lose the stake.
thats not a scam, he can set a rule if he wants to, and doesnt clearly wants you to not notice he changed it (like right before accepting). you were just being stupid (no offence mate).

btw, nice guide. people should REALLY take a look at that bloody second trade screen. always hover your mouse over whatever the other guy trades. (especially "guthan" leaf bladed spears, mm'kay? ;-) )

"Free smithing/enchanting/gem cutting" Dont do it, unless you get the finished item back in the same trade as you give HIM the unfinished item (so dont give him an uncut ruby, unless he gives you a cut one in return in the same trade window)"

Some players(including myself) actually do the free gem cutting, and RETURN the gem cut. You just have to look in highscores or at there combat lvl, and see if they look trustworthy. Maybe give him/her one sapphire and see if they cut it, rather then all of them. But also see if they have cut anybody elses gems. Just use ur commonsense

I pity anyone who needs this guide...

Losers...

Are you blind or ignoring me on purpose?

Even though I sometimes side with religious people in some debates, I no longer consider myself religious.

bump

update:

OBSIDIAN RING (the ranmge weapon)

its not worth the electricity it requires to pixelate it on your screen :\

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

"Free smithing/enchanting/gem cutting" Dont do it, unless you get the finished item back in the same trade as you give HIM the unfinished item (so dont give him an uncut ruby, unless he gives you a cut one in return in the same trade window)"

Some players(including myself) actually do the free gem cutting, and RETURN the gem cut. You just have to look in highscores or at there combat lvl, and see if they look trustworthy. Maybe give him/her one sapphire and see if they cut it, rather then all of them. But also see if they have cut anybody elses gems. Just use ur commonsense

exactly i dont think that an 126 level says that then he wont give it back(not worth the risk on getting (temporarily or pernanent(if you done this maany times)) banned well if theres for example some1 with combat 3, always check from highscore!(ill cut all gems also diamonds!!!FOR REAL!) lol im not a scammer check highscore if you want... :) lol

did you even read the bit?

i said dont do it UNLESS you get the same gem back in the same tradewindow (but then cut ofc)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

bump :P

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

• 2 weeks later...

bump

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!