I need someone really good with computers

Dirkmetal

Yeah, it's been about a year since I've been here on Tip.it, but I know some of you guys are really good with tech more then many other forums.

My laptop got a virus on April 2, and it killed Windows (either that or Avira and Malwarebytes did trying to remove it from being imbeded in Windows files). So I got a flash drive to boot Puppy Linux off of.

Wile on Linux I tried to set up it to boot from my flash drive and it formatted the drive, but I didn't have the ISO file so I had to shutdown my laptop. The thing was supposed to set it up do boot off the USB drive like a CD, and now. Now my Flash drive is acting like a CD drive

When I try to use my flash drive now it acts like a CD drive. In Windows I get this message:sadface.jpg

Now how would I fix this, or can someone tell me how to insert disk into my flash drive?

Prism_Swords.png

Dude, do yourself a favour, this is what im gonna do, because i just experienced a similar problem.

Do a fresh clean reinstall, but remember to backup all your personal files to an external harddisk or online storage service. Then after you make your reinstall, first configure it with one account, the admin account. Then make a new account that you will use, this will work so that everytime you need to do something that requires administrator permissions, it will ask for a login instead of just accepting everything. This way an malicious file cannot run itself without you typing in the password.

My lame drops:
6 Effigys
1 D Med - 1 D Dagger
1 Verac's Helmet - 1 Guthan's Platebody

When I try to use my flash drive now it acts like a CD drive. In Windows I get this message:sadface.jpg

Now how would I fix this, or can someone tell me how to insert disk into my flash drive?

First off, Dirkmetal, did you have anything on the drive previously, before you attempted to create the Live Linux System on it? If so, was there anything on that USB Flash Drive that you would have wanted to (and/or should) keep? :huh:

Second, given that you either didn't have anything or got it all already, you'll want right-click your "My Computer" Icon and select "Manage". Once the "Computer Management" window comes up, you'll want to go down in the tree to "Storage > Disk Management". There, you'll see a set of "Disk #", "CD-Rom #", and other such entries from your computer. At this point, assuming your USB Flash Drive doesn't need re-partitioning, you should be able to right-click the partition from the flash drive and tell it to "Format...", enabling you to at least create a fresh and usable data storage space on the flash drive that you can then re-start your attempt at making a Live Linux System on. :geek:

Finally, good luck to you. I've just given myself a headache typing out this post. Anything beyond this point will need Nyosuht's (and/or another Linux Guru's) help to deal with. :wacko:

~D. V. "I hate a stuck USB Flash Drive..." Devnull

(p.s.: I see everyone above me, in the time it has taken me to build this post, has missed a few things including your possibly wanting to save your files on your dead laptop before you went to rebuild. I really hate when people fail to read and miss stuff like that...)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I would do a clena install and back up things I wana save if I had a Windows CD. I don't want to have my laptop only run on Linux. And the thumb drive is seen as a USB CD drive on all computers now.

As for the ISO, I have it on this old desktop I'm on, and was going to put it on my flash drive till I found it wanted me to cram a disk in it.

*edit*

Oh, I forgot to add I tried reformatting it but it says "Windows is unable to complete the format"

At this point, assuming your USB Flash Drive doesn't need re-partitioning,

How would I go about that? I Googled my problem and I saw people trying to make their USB drive work like a CD drive and wile none really said much they did mention re-partitioning.

*edit*

I found out how to partition my USB drive and things are working now. This thread basically done with.

Thanks for the help Tip.it forum tech peeps!

Edited by Dirkmetal
Prism_Swords.png

Do a fresh clean reinstall, but remember to backup all your personal files to an external harddisk or online storage service.

(p.s.: I see everyone above me, in the time it has taken me to build this post, has missed a few things including your possibly wanting to save your files on your dead laptop before you went to rebuild. I really hate when people fail to read and miss stuff like that...)

I don't get it... Nikoliai reminded OP to back up the files on the laptop, and you're being somewhat hypocritical by scolding those who do not offer such advice (even though he did), and then not offering the advice yourself.

OP, I don't know if you've managed to boot from the USB, but you need to mount the iso in a certain way in order that the USB is bootable. Go here, scroll to section #2 and select USB, then 'Show me how'. IIRC you have to format the USB stick to FAT, not FAT32.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Do a fresh clean reinstall, but remember to backup all your personal files to an external harddisk or online storage service.

I don't get it... Nikoliai reminded OP to back up the files on the laptop, and you're being somewhat hypocritical by scolding those who do not offer such advice (even though he did), and then not offering the advice yourself.

Either I didn't notice Nikolai say it, or it wasn't there before. As for myself, if you go back and look at my post carefully, you'll notice I actually did offer that advice in the form of a question. Just for your reference, I'll quote it here...

First off, Dirkmetal, did you have anything on the drive previously, before you attempted to create the Live Linux System on it? If so, was there anything on that USB Flash Drive that you would have wanted to (and/or should) keep? :huh:

...so you can see that I did. 'Nuff said... <_<

~D. V. "Surprised you didn't notice..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)