Graphics card problem

Sbrideau

I already know that the problem is the graphics card, but I would still like to know what you think and if you would think it could be something else.

Basically, Ubuntu crashed when I was playing Minecraft, and then I went on Windows. Same kind of crash, but it did show a bsod which I have took a picture with my cellphone;

[hide]

105s40x.jpg

[/hide]

Basically it pretty much looks like my graphics card is either overheating or is close to dying, since the same happened (without the bsod) on other games as well, and no big games. I very recently cleared the dust out of this computer, so I do not think dust would be causing this.

Please give me your thoughts on this. I already know a few things that I am going to try. It used to be in a computer that would keep on overheating, so the card already took a beating in there, and I believe it is 4 years old now.

Specs:

EVGA 9800GT

8GB DDR3

Intel i3 530

Asus P7P55-M

Ubuntu 10.10/Windows 7 Ultimate

No need to know HDD space

Thanks guys.

It's showing the classic signs of a pretty common problem to do with the microwelds or the soldering, whatever you want to call it on the GPU.

It often happens with cards that get very warm and as they get warm the solder heats up and then rapid cooling causes it to slowly crack over time which obviously causes components to lose contact with eachother.

Given that the card is already 4 years old, it's obviously out of warranty. You can have a crack at fixing it yourself if you're daring enough. I've done it 3 or 4 times and had success once. Basically what you need to do is reflow the solder. You can try doing this yourself by:

• Remove all plastic components from the card (heatsink, any fans)
  • Clean up any thermal paste which is on the card
  • Remove the "backplate" (where the VGA/DVI connectors etc. are)
  • Remove anything else that may melt at high temperatures
  • Preheat an oven to approximately 385F, don't go any higher than this
  • Suspend the card on 4 crunched up balls of foil on an oven proof tray (one ball on each corner)
  • Place the card in the oven for no longer than 7-8 minutes
  • Take the card out and wait for it to fully cool naturally, don't touch it or knock it
  • Put it all back together
  • Pray

For your information, this is very likely to finish the card off, but it's worth a shot if you don't want to buy a new one. :P If you leave it too long, or if the temperature is a little too high etc., then components will drop off the card and you don't want that.

And just as a disclaimer... I accept no responsibility for anything that happens as a result of you trying this, it's entirely at your own risk.

You're not the first one to tell me this, but I am not willing to try just because of the rate of failure. I think for now I will just make it last as long as I can (anyway I have an xbox, which I use most of the time for games), and probably will buy this card which I think is still an upgrade from the one I have, and costs a bit less because it's a bit lower end than what people usually buy, plus it's an older model. This way I can still sell my old card for almost nothing to someone that is willing to try to repair it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd just like to add that if you happen to have a soldering iron and some solder (or a store you could pick some up at) nearby, you might be able to resolder the connections without putting the card in your oven.

GTS 450s are nice, I'm using one now (from zotac).

cwsiggyfinal.jpg

Sig by me, in MS paint, but I'm still working on it.

Suggestions appreciated

This guide is as concise as a gourmet's handbook with the guidelines of "Pick up fork, stab food, insert into your mouth, then chew".

I don't have a soldering iron, nor do I have any experience at it. I'd probably just end up breaking it even more if I tried.