Buying a laptop, not sure what to look for

Omar

Hey guys. I'll be leaving to university in a year, and my current computer is slowly turning into dust, so my mother and I decided it would be time for a new one, and that it should be a laptop. A few questions pose themselves:

1) Given the fact that I watch lots of videos, make lots of music and download a lot of things in addition to performing everyday activities like using Office/Notepad (probably useful during class), web browsing, etc, what do I need to look for in my computer?

2) Given the fact that my mom works at a school and the school generously gives all its employees free copies of Windows, Office, antivirus software, etc., is it possible, instead of a laptop with all kinds of basic software installed, to get a clean one at the same price, but with a better performance?

3) Will reformatting the computer I'm currently using make it faster for my mom when I leave? We're not swimming in dough here and I'd love to save her the trouble of buying a new one. I have a backup drive, so I can save the software she needs and all the files she uses on there.

Thanks in advance. I apologize if I haven't given enough detail and I'll be glad to tell you what you need to know.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Camera guy: Whoa, haha, are you okay dude?

Matt: You want anything funny that happens, don't you?

Camera guy: still laughing

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Camera guy: runs away still laughing

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

Camera guy: Hoooholy [bleep]!

Matt: FUNNY ISN'T REAL! FUNNY ISN'T REAL!

Hey guys. I'll be leaving to university in a year, and my current computer is slowly turning into dust, so my mother and I decided it would be time for a new one, and that it should be a laptop. A few questions pose themselves:

1) Given the fact that I watch lots of videos, make lots of music and download a lot of things in addition to performing everyday activities like using Office/Notepad (probably useful during class), web browsing, etc, what do I need to look for in my computer?

I'm not sure about music making, what specs does the program you use need? As for the other stuff a $500 laptop would do if you don't need to play 1080p video. Do you plan you game on it?

2) Given the fact that my mom works at a school and the school generously gives all its employees free copies of Windows, Office, antivirus software, etc., is it possible, instead of a laptop with all kinds of basic software installed, to get a clean one at the same price, but with a better performance?

Depends on the brand. The only one I know of that ships clean computers in Sager. Otherwise you need to make a restore dis, although with laptops you have to be careful you don't remove the wrong drivers. You may be able to make a disk image instead of a physical disk though.

3) Will reformatting the computer I'm currently using make it faster for my mom when I leave? We're not swimming in dough here and I'd love to save her the trouble of buying a new one. I have a backup drive, so I can save the software she needs and all the files she uses on there.

Yeah, it'll also remove a lot of bloat from the programs you use and she doesn't too. Just make sure you ask her what she needs so you don't delete something important. Backing up the whole HDD before you do it may be a good idea.

Thanks in advance. I apologize if I haven't given enough detail and I'll be glad to tell you what you need to know.

Operating System :

Windows XP/Vista/7

Plugin formats (probably irrelevant):

Standalone

FL Studio plugin

VSTi 2.4 (Win/OSX)

Hardware Req:

Windows 7, Vista, XP & 2000 (32 & 64 Bit)

2Ghz AMD or Intel Pentium 3 compatible CPU with full SSE1 support

(or) Intel Mac with Boot Camp (running XP, Vista or Windows 7, 32 or 64 Bit)

1 Gb or more RAM recommended

1 Gb free disk space

Soundcard with DirectSound drivers. ASIO/ASIO2 compatible required for audio recording (FL Studio installs with generic ASIO4ALL drivers)

The installation size of the boxed version of Ableton Suite 8 is 48 GB. The downloadable version requires 4.6 GB of hard drive space.

Mac: 1.8 GHz G4/G5 or faster (Intel® Mac recommended), 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended, if supported by your computer), Mac OS X 10.4.11 (10.5 or later recommended), DVD-ROM drive

Windows: 2 GHz Pentium® 4 or Celeron® compatible CPU or faster (multicore CPU recommended), 2 GB RAM (4 GB recommended on Windows Vista and Windows 7), Windows XP (home or Pro), Windows Vista or Windows 7, sound card (ASIO driver support recommended), DVD-ROM drive, QuickTime recommended

That being said, my computer already fulfills those requirements and still struggles with the software often. I'm willing to go above 500$, maybe a bit over 1000$ USD, especially if the extra price will make it last longer.

Not sure what you mean by this:

Depends on the brand. The only one I know of that ships clean computers in Sager. Otherwise you need to make a restore dis, although with laptops you have to be careful you don't remove the wrong drivers. You may be able to make a disk image instead of a physical disk though.

Matt: You want that eh? You want everything good for you. You want everything that's--falls off garbage can

Matt: You want the funny shit that happens here and there, you think it comes out of your [bleep]ing [wagon] pushes garbage can down, don't you? You think it's funny? It comes out of here! running towards Camera guy

Matt: You think the funny comes out of your mother[bleep]ing creativity? Comes out of Satan, mother[bleep]er! nn--ngh! pushes Camera guy down

OK. Other than that, what do I need to look for when it comes to the sound card, for example? And should I wait until Windows 8 is released? It feels as though 7 was released yesterday.

8 won't be worth it. They're focusing too much on tablets and touch screens, and from what I've seen, there won't be any new content worth waiting for. You can always just grab an OEM copy for $99 and upgrade if you want to anyways.

I think the macbook pro is a pretty good laptop for school. Best for battery life and stuff. Work really nice for notes in lecture. I use mine with the wireless keyboard and mouse as well. The flat keyboard on laptops drives me crazy if I get stuck taking notes for a couple hours. There is Apple Education pricing as well. If you're at all interested check out the website and look at the prices. They do cost more for sure but I find they work better for class. If you aren't going to take it to class I'm not sure I'd recommend spending the extra money on the mac. It depends on what you really need to run for programs.

I think the macbook pro is a pretty good laptop for school. Best for battery life and stuff. Work really nice for notes in lecture. I use mine with the wireless keyboard and mouse as well. The flat keyboard on laptops drives me crazy if I get stuck taking notes for a couple hours. There is Apple Education pricing as well. If you're at all interested check out the website and look at the prices. They do cost more for sure but I find they work better for class. If you aren't going to take it to class I'm not sure I'd recommend spending the extra money on the mac. It depends on what you really need to run for programs.

I'm already pretty familiar with Windows' bowels and my software works with it, so I don't see why I should switch.

I'm headed to Futureshop today, I'll report back at the end of the day.

Future shop is overpriced. You'd be better off getting an Asus laptop on Newegg.

That's what I figured, but I'm just looking for some info, I'm most likely not going to buy it there.

I come back with ideas.

a) Get a desktop and a netbook. The desktop will last longer, the netbook is easier to carry to class. Doesn't look like a bad plan, actually, and I think I can get a better and longer lasting setup out of that, but I'll have nowhere to put the desktop until I move, I think. It's still an option, just something I'll have to discuss with the mother.

b) Get a Mac, dual boot. Very solid build, apparently (clerk told me of a couple who came in with their Macbook completely bent as if one of the two had smashed it on the other's head, and which was still functional, aside from the shattered screen) but I don't really have any use for the actual OS.

c) Try to find a laptop as solid as a Macbook with Windows on it. Asus with aluminum chassis came to the clerk's mind.

What say you?

Im not sure how mac vs other laptops are. But for desktops at least, macs are overpriced.

So unless it's different I wouldn't for a mac.

But I don't know that much about laptops.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

@cheeky: Even with Parallels? The battery life was a very attractive feature.

a) Get a desktop and a netbook. The desktop will last longer, the netbook is easier to carry to class. Doesn't look like a bad plan, actually, and I think I can get a better and longer lasting setup out of that, but I'll have nowhere to put the desktop until I move, I think. It's still an option, just something I'll have to discuss with the mother.

I like the idea - desktops are much more value for money and easier to work with. Make sure you think about getting a netbook though - they are often small thus have small keyboards, and even I find them quite difficult to type well on. Depending on budget you may be better off getting a good laptop rather than a mediocre desktop and netbook. Then you wouldn't have the headache of transferring files between the two.

b) Get a Mac, dual boot. Very solid build, apparently (clerk told me of a couple who came in with their Macbook completely bent as if one of the two had smashed it on the other's head, and which was still functional, aside from the shattered screen) but I don't really have any use for the actual OS.

Judging by your first post you want to keep budget as low as possible, thus stay away from anything Apple. I can't vouch for the solidarity of their builds, although they do look pretty good, but I would stick with a windows laptop in order to get better value for money.

c) Try to find a laptop as solid as a Macbook with Windows on it. Asus with aluminum chassis came to the clerk's mind.

This, I think.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Any laptops will work even if they are bent. As long as the circuits/hard parts are still intact. What's the point in paying double for the mac if you're not going to use the OS. Better stick to Windows based computer, unless you are willing to try Linux which is also an option, and you can buy a cheap computer for it.

Asus is defenetly the way to go. My 3 year old Asus still works as good as it was when it was new.

I've never ran parallels to be honest. I suppose you would likely keep most of the battery life. I bet you would find OSX nice to use if you got used to it. I prefer Windows 7 but OSX is great for at school when you're not trying to multitask as much. I do run a Windows 7 Desktop with 3 screen for projects. I prefer windows for running multiple windows over OSX but it does work nicely. I do use both and the macbook is well built.

Any specific recommendations? I've thought about Thinkpads but I'm not sure I trust Lenovo.

(that was @guy, just reading over the rest, bear with me)

Any laptops will work even if they are bent. As long as the circuits/hard parts are still intact. What's the point in paying double for the mac if you're not going to use the OS. Better stick to Windows based computer, unless you are willing to try Linux which is also an option, and you can buy a cheap computer for it.

Asus is defenetly the way to go. My 3 year old Asus still works as good as it was when it was new.

I'm tempted by the desktop, because I'd enjoy putting together my own computer, and I assume the price:performance ratio is more interesting, even counting the netbook.

If you go to a desktop I recommend 2 screens. Makes papers, projects and lab reports much easier.

I could see why... is it possible to use a netbook's screen for this?

If you go to a desktop I recommend 2 screens. Makes papers, projects and lab reports much easier.

This * 1000000000

Dual monitors makes so many things easier and more efficient.

I hate using a single monitor now.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

14j6cna.png

By default, I'm going with things in the "Great" row and moving towards "Destitute" when the components seem useless.

HDD/SSD: I still have 50GB of space on this computer; it has 224GB in total. I really, really don't see what the extra 500GB would get me, so I moved up, but I wonder if the speed is going to be satisfactory. I think considering the price of SSDs, I'm probably better off getting a better (but small) HDD than going with a [cabbage] HDD and an SSD three times its price.

4GB RAM, I'm pretty fixed on this, because 20$ isn't much of a difference.

Case: I have no idea, really.

PSU: ditto.

GPU: I'm no gamer, but it would be cool if I could emulate Z:OoT. Went down a notch.

CPU: FL Studio is monstrous. I have an Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz according to dxdiag, and the counter inside the software says it's taking 99% of the CPU on occasion. Leaning towards Pentium i5 2500.

Motherboard: I don't even know what I need to know.

Add a keyboard, a mouse, two monitors; what about cooling?

What don't I need? I'm assuming I'm grossly overestimating what I'm actually going to use...

If this setup + price of netbook < price of sturdy laptop which performs as well, if not slightly better, I'll take this. If not, I'll look for an Asus.

Also, my friend says netbooks have very short lifespans. True or false?

He called it pentium i5 *cries*

Stay away from macs unless you have cash to throw around. For laptops, I give asus a big +1, but Sager has some nice choices if you want to not have to deal with intel HD graphics. For desktops, check out tinyurl.com/falconguide for the newest, best incremental guide, and modify to your needs. Google around to see if hyperthreading will help with your software, if so, you may want to consider the i7 2600k. Otherwise the i5 2500k should meet your needs.

EDIT: really, tip.it? This censor is getting rediculous.

He called it pentium i5 *cries*

Haters gonna etc

Stay away from macs unless you have cash to throw around.

I done decided I wouldn't deal with Macs.

For laptops, I give asus a big +1, but Sager has some nice choices if you want to not have to deal with intel HD graphics.

Duly noted.

For desktops, check out tinyurl.com/falconguide for the newest, best incremental guide, and modify to your needs.
That's where that picture's from! You could have posted it earlier, it would have saved me many a smug reaction jpeg on /g/. :lol:

Google around to see if hyperthreading will help with your software, if so, you may want to consider the i7 2600k. Otherwise the i5 2500k should meet your needs.

Will do, posting results once done.

[Edit] FL Studio supports hyperthreading since version 9 (I'm still on 8, they're on 10, I just need to get off my ass and install it). There's no word on it solving any of the 99% CPU usage problems though.