Black Screen @ Startup

All_Is_Great

Hey guys, my old laptop (hp pavillion dv6000) has this problem:

I turn it on, and it asks me if I want to start windows normally or do a system repair, it's white letters on a black screen. No matter what I choose, it goes onto a screen with a "Loading files..." and a progress bar at the bottom, again white on black background. Then it gets to this screen

vista_boot_screen_1.gif

and then it finally gets to a black screen, no cursor, no nothing. Just a black screen and it just stays there.

Things I've tried:

pressing f8 and choosing "last known good configuration"

Taking out battery

Any other things I can try?

Staurolite.png

Do you have any recovery disks or the original Windows install disk at all?

I don't think I have the one that came with the laptop, would another windows vista work? Or...

I'll try looking for it I guess.

Have you tried unplugging and removing the battery? Somehow it fixed a problem on one of my friend's laptop, same model, same problem.

Yes I have actually, I took out the battery and turned it on with only the power cord plugged in, still the same thing :mellow:

Staurolite.png

Do you have any recovery disks or the original Windows install disk at all?

I don't think I have the one that came with the laptop, would another windows vista work? Or...

I'll try looking for it I guess.

As long as it´s the same version of Vista, Home premium, Ultimate, etc... and you still have that laptops product code, usually printed on a label on the bottom of the laptop then it should work.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Another Vista disk could help.

You can also try using a Ubuntu Live CD or USB Drive. You don't even need to install it, just select the 'Try without making any changes to your comment' option.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

This will show if there's any damage to the hard drive should you still be able to read it.

j0xPu5R.png