A few new photos

Guest Rob

It's unfortunate that the focus is off on the first two :( It's a little better in the last one but it still looks like the main focus is on the ground rather than the frog. Other than that, I feel like the first two are missing some brighter highlights, which would help make the photos more aesthetically pleasing. It's probably due to a the time of day and/or a lack of flash?

As for the grain.. what camera are you using? Grain is normally caused by your ISO setting. The higher the ISO the grainier the image. For outdoor work you really want to have it on 100 or 200.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I'd agree with what Tripsis said, aside from the ISO bit. Lower ISO does mean less noise/grain it is true; but in my experience most DSLRs etc only go down to iso 400 so you'd be lucky to get iso 100 or 200 and other than night shots, which are virtually impossible to do without some graining, I can't say I've had any grain issues.

Plus I'd add the first two are kinda compositionally boring as the intended focal point is just in the middle; a good tip for composition is to think of the image broken up into a 3x3 grid, you want the main focal point to fall in any square of that grid other than the centre. eg on the frog the main focal point falls in bottom left of the grid. It's just to do with how the brain processes an image if the focal point is centre we sort of see it and ignore the rest as we know its just fall out boring stuff that isn't the focus of the shot; where as if it's off centre we visual explore and move around the image to see if there is something else to it we overlooked. Of course this doesn't 100% hold true all the time, but it's a good rule of thumb to follow during early stages of learning as it ensures more interesting compositions and in time you will start to gain a natural eye for composition and just know what will and won't work.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Actually most entry level DSLRs have 100-1600 ISO. Only a few start at 200 and I have personally never seen any that start at 400 (though I won't say they're not out there). Then many more expensive DSLRs even go down to 50 (and go up to 3200 or even beyond).

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Actually most entry level DSLRs have 100-1600 ISO. Only a few start at 200 and I have personally never seen any that start at 400 (though I won't say they're not out there). Then many more expensive DSLRs even go down to 50 (and go up to 3200 or even beyond).

My cousin who is a photographer by trade (or was, been a few years) went to 400. All the ones they had at my college only went to 400 too.

Mine does go down to 100, but I generally leave iso on auto so far and it's never gone below 400; but I dunno if mine would be deemed an entry level DSLR or not was about £800 new which ain't the cheapest tier going.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

My cousin who is a photographer by trade (or was, been a few years) went to 400. All the ones they had at my college only went to 400 too.

Mine does go down to 100, but I generally leave iso on auto so far and it's never gone below 400; but I dunno if mine would be deemed an entry level DSLR or not was about £800 new which ain't the cheapest tier going.

I'd be very interested to hear what models those were then :P If you have "Highlight Correction" on it limits the ISO, which could be part of the problem.

The Canon 500D definitely does go down to 100 ISO. It has a range of 100-3200. TBH auto = :thumbdown: And if you're interested, it's considered an entry to mid level DSLR. It's technically supposed to be entry level but Canon's new cameras are getting so advanced that people often consider them somewhere in between entry and mid-level.

Posted Image

I not had any problems with auto so far, but yeah it's never set my iso to 100 or 200

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I agree with Tripsis about the focus in the first two.

I would say that you are getting better though! :)

Another thing that I would like to add is that I think that the first picture is a little bit underexposed. I think it's possible to brighten it up a bit while still maintaining the sunset light

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Oh yeah, to add to Sy_Accursed's comment about composition:

I'm not sure if it's the same with your camera, but on my camera there's an option to have a 3x3 grid on top of the screen to help out with composition.

Might be handy to have a look for that on your camera

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Your camera has several hot pixels (the brightly coloured dots in your images) hopefully by using a lower ISO these should not appear but if they do I stronly suggest contacting your cameras manufacturer if it is still in warranty.

reportbuttanerfb6.gif