Reform Customer Support.

RU_Insane

Reform Customer Support

By RU_Insane et. al

This thread isn't anything fancy. It's essentially a compilation of ideas I've read from other members here, plus my own thoughts, on how to reform Jagex's failed customer support system. I'll credit the holder of the original suggestion where possible. Here we are:

RWTers

• Improve the auto-mute system. If someone continues to type quickly after their first temp-mute, lengthen the sentence. I recall that the first temp mute is about five seconds, I may be wrong. After this interval, increase it to 10 seconds, then 20 seconds, then 30, then one minute. Continue lengthening the mute 'till it reaches five minutes. At five minutes, a report is sent to Jagex detailing the player's offense.

From there, Jagex can decide to apply additional punishment. We must be careful to implement this feature in context-specific scenarios. It's understandable that someone would spam a trade on W2 Grand Exchange, for example. This is why the filter will check for specific phrases. Phrases like "selling gold", "gold sale", and so forth will be flagged, and the spammers muted by increasing intervals.

• Reduce grind by greatly increasing XP and rewards in related mini-games and skills at higher levels. Introduce incentives to skill, and aim for a 70% reduction in skill grinding from level 30+ in the hardest skills (summoning, dungeoneering, rune-crafting, herblore, etc.). Less grinding leads to fewer people gaining the incentive to use third-party software to complete their tasks.

• Ban all RWTers on first offense, regardless of player status (F2P or P2P).

• Greater transparency for Jagex. Jagex should publish their balance sheets for the years 2009-2010, 2010-2011, and 2011-2012, and include detailed sources of revenue. Players deserve to know if Jagex is deliberately profiting from RWTers. This is an excellent way to know.

• Introduce incentives for players to report RWTers. Perhaps a rewards system where points increase with each report, which can eventually be redeemed for a cash/experience/item reward. Ratio could be fifty experience points per report. Of course, Jagex must check to see all reports are legitimate. Credit for original idea goes to NukeMarine.

Report Abuse System

• Check that all in-game reports are legitimate and are fairly considered. No further ‘offensive language’ offenses for situations which are clearly appropriate.
  • Punish users who abuse the report system. I've been muted several times for offensive language when I didn't even cuss!
  • Introduce a "lock chat-box" button, which would stop all further incoming chat, and allow the player to scroll through the text to report the offending player. This idea is not my own, but credit goes to whoever first suggested this.

• Allow multiple reporting. This feature works in conjunction with the point above. Lock the chat-box, then highlight the names of the players you wish to report. Right click the chat-box, select "Report", and a screen will pop up. The screen will focus on the users who spoke, in chronological order.

For example, if you highlight the chat-box, and the first player who spoke in your highlighted section is "1", he'd be reported first. If the second player who spoke in your highlighted box is "2", he'd be reported second, and so forth 'till you reach the last player who spoke in your highlighted section. If a player spoke more than once in your highlighted section, but he's already reported, the system will move on to the next user who hasn't been reported.

• Get rid of sixty-second wait-times between reports.
  • Introduce a right-click report option via chat system (that includes public chat, private chat, clan chat & friends chat).

Appeals System

• Introduce a stronger appeal system where all appeals are considered based on the facts of the case and its merit. Too many people have gotten off the hook with weak appeals. Players have submitted Rick Roll lyrics for appeals, and they've gotten accepted, with no regard to what they did. That needs to change.
  • Humanize responses to appeals. Have every appeal actually answered by a Jagex employee, not an automated system. Have each response be unique to the person’s case for a greater sense of interaction.
  • Increase appeal character limit from a thousand characters to ten thousand.
  • Boost appeals for mutes from two to three per offense, and from one appeal to two for bans.
  • Equal opportunity appeal – even RWTers get a chance to appeal their offense.
  • Chance for successful appeal based on precedent and severity of offense, but facts always considered.

General Customer Support

• Re-introduce Jagex contact system. Introduce additional methods to reach Jagex employees to answer concerns (e-mail, on-site).
  • Humanize responses from Jagex, don't automate them.
  • Ensure each customer gets their questions and concerns answered to the best extent.
  • Introduce a ten thousand character limit for contacting Jagex on-site.
  • Encourage all players to register their main e-mail address to their accounts.
  • Send a confirmation e-mail to the player's inbox when a recovery attempt is made for their account. Recovery must be confirmed before it can continue. (already used by Jagex)

Support List: <3:

• RU_Insane

Thanks for reading! :mrgreen:

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Send a confirmation e-mail to the player's inbox when a recovery attempt is made for their account. Recovery must be confirmed before it can continue.

I could be wrong but I think Jagex already does this to help prevent 'spam' recovery attempts.

Re-introduce Jagex contact system. Introduce additional methods to reach Jagex employees to answer concerns (e-mail, on-site).

Humanize responses from Jagex, don't automate them.

Ensure each customer gets their questions and concerns answered to the best extent.

Introduce a ten thousand character limit for contacting Jagex on-site.

I definitely agree with a lot of your points here and this is certainly the biggest issue with Jagex customer support at the moment, it is very automated and doesn't have a really 'dedicated' way to be reached with general concerns that don't fit one of the few lines of communication that they have. It seems like they've even been going further in the wrong direction and closing off even more lines of communication recently. Although it's understandable that they only have a certain amount of people working on customer support, they need to be more open and easy to contact. At the moment, if your issue doesn't fit one of the specific customer support systems that they have you're basically out of luck.

Tecmaster532.png
Tecmaster532.png
lm9dzxe3.png
Owner of the Quest Point Cape

Send a confirmation e-mail to the player's inbox when a recovery attempt is made for their account. Recovery must be confirmed before it can continue.

I could be wrong but I think Jagex already does this to help prevent 'spam' recovery attempts.

Re-introduce Jagex contact system. Introduce additional methods to reach Jagex employees to answer concerns (e-mail, on-site).

Humanize responses from Jagex, don't automate them.

Ensure each customer gets their questions and concerns answered to the best extent.

Introduce a ten thousand character limit for contacting Jagex on-site.

I definitely agree with a lot of your points here and this is certainly the biggest issue with Jagex customer support at the moment, it is very automated and doesn't have a really 'dedicated' way to be reached with general concerns that don't fit one of the few lines of communication that they have. It seems like they've even been going further in the wrong direction and closing off even more lines of communication recently. Although it's understandable that they only have a certain amount of people working on customer support, they need to be more open and easy to contact. At the moment, if your issue doesn't fit one of the specific customer support systems that they have you're basically out of luck.

Yeah. As I understand it though, Jagex is hiring more employees over time, not laying them off. So why are they cutting off more communication links over time, when they could use this opportunity to expand support? o.o

also, since you agree with a lot of my points, does that count as support? :mrgreen:

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Define: Typing quickly.

If an auto-mute system if going to kick in like this, how many messages/minute, do you suggest is "right". Because it has the ability to be detrimental to people not using an auto if not done correctly.

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

Define: Typing quickly.

If an auto-mute system if going to kick in like this, how many messages/minute, do you suggest is "right". Because it has the ability to be detrimental to people not using an auto if not done correctly.

From what I've seen, the majority of autotypers are goldsellers, and they type full/near-full sentences at inhuman speeds, which is about 2 full sentences within 4 seconds. (a 'full sentence' is one that uses up at least the entire first line character limit). Since I think few people would type full sentences at that rate of speed, I don't think many legitimate players would be compromised. In terms of what I think is a normal player typing speed, I'd think it'd be one full sentence per 7-8 seconds, since players aren't typically in a rush to write any quicker.

The auto-mute system I'm proposing also flags suspicious strings of words such as 'gold sale', the names of gold-selling websites, and other RWT-related terms. Of course, we must be careful not to discriminate against context-specific areas. If people are simply talking about RWT but not advocating or participating in it, the filter should account for that too.

We could tell players the first time they've been auto-muted, what they've been muted for, if they're unlucky enough to be swept up into the net. Though, the first auto-mute is a 5-second mute, so it wouldn't be too detrimental, I imagine, to their ability to communicate. This way, they can take steps to be cautious so as to not get caught for an activity they weren't promoting.

I also recognize that although auto-typers are condemned by Jagex, they continue to serve (what I think are) legitimate uses by players looking to optimize efficiency. For example, spamming group recruitments at Daemonheim. Should these kinds of players be auto-muted? I'm not sure, since they are playing the game in a way that's against the rules, but at the same time, they're not promoting forbidden activity (with the exception of encouraging others to break rules thru their continued use, I suppose).

Besides this, I think it'd be easy for the filter to distinguish between legit and illicit discussion of RWT simply by which player mentions an illicit website. RWT autotypers advertise gold-sites along with their prices, so it usually follows that users who submit particular strings of words into the system, like 'gold sale', '$0.50=1M", "[forbidden website]" at once, would be flagged, while players who don't mention the forbidden website multiple times in quick succession wouldn't be picked up by the system.

So I think 'typing quickly' isn't enough of a parameter to catch players who are breaking rules regards RWT. I think additional parameters should be included, like sensitive word strings that would be flagged by the chat system when they're entered with inhumanly quick succession. RWT auto-typers don't require much else complexity beyond these two parameters, so I think it's safe to say most legit players would be safe, and most (if not all) illicit auto-typers would be caught.

@The Gabe: Does that count as a support? :lol:

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

What the hell? Did the word fantasy change into fancy in the last week or something? I swear it was fantasy when I quoted it... Freaking weird.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

What the hell? Did the word fantasy change into fancy in the last week or something? I swear it was fantasy when I quoted it... Freaking weird.

I sometimes misread words to be completely different. Probs happened to you too :P

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

I sometimes misread words to be completely different. Probs happened to you too :P

I mean these are all good ideas but it would only be a fantasy if it was implanted.

sig2-3.jpg

Three months banishment to 9gag is something i would never wish upon anybody, not even my worst enemy.

I mean these are all good ideas but it would only be a fantasy if it was implanted.

A couple of these ideas (regards reporting) were implemented recently though. That doesn't seem like fantasy :P Why shouldn't it be possible.

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

A couple of these ideas (regards reporting) were implemented recently though. That doesn't seem like fantasy :P Why shouldn't it be possible.

Because we're talking about Jagex.

sig2-3.jpg