Reform Customer Support
By RU_Insane et. al
This thread isn't anything fancy. It's essentially a compilation of ideas I've read from other members here, plus my own thoughts, on how to reform Jagex's failed customer support system. I'll credit the holder of the original suggestion where possible. Here we are:
- Improve the auto-mute system. If someone continues to type quickly after their first temp-mute, lengthen the sentence. I recall that the first temp mute is about five seconds, I may be wrong. After this interval, increase it to 10 seconds, then 20 seconds, then 30, then one minute. Continue lengthening the mute 'till it reaches five minutes. At five minutes, a report is sent to Jagex detailing the player's offense.
From there, Jagex can decide to apply additional punishment. We must be careful to implement this feature in context-specific scenarios. It's understandable that someone would spam a trade on W2 Grand Exchange, for example. This is why the filter will check for specific phrases. Phrases like "selling gold", "gold sale", and so forth will be flagged, and the spammers muted by increasing intervals.
- Reduce grind by greatly increasing XP and rewards in related mini-games and skills at higher levels. Introduce incentives to skill, and aim for a 70% reduction in skill grinding from level 30+ in the hardest skills (summoning, dungeoneering, rune-crafting, herblore, etc.). Less grinding leads to fewer people gaining the incentive to use third-party software to complete their tasks.
- Ban all RWTers on first offense, regardless of player status (F2P or P2P).
- Greater transparency for Jagex. Jagex should publish their balance sheets for the years 2009-2010, 2010-2011, and 2011-2012, and include detailed sources of revenue. Players deserve to know if Jagex is deliberately profiting from RWTers. This is an excellent way to know.
- Introduce incentives for players to report RWTers. Perhaps a rewards system where points increase with each report, which can eventually be redeemed for a cash/experience/item reward. Ratio could be fifty experience points per report. Of course, Jagex must check to see all reports are legitimate. Credit for original idea goes to NukeMarine.
Report Abuse System
- Check that all in-game reports are legitimate and are fairly considered. No further ‘offensive language’ offenses for situations which are clearly appropriate.
- Punish users who abuse the report system. I've been muted several times for offensive language when I didn't even cuss!
- Introduce a "lock chat-box" button, which would stop all further incoming chat, and allow the player to scroll through the text to report the offending player. This idea is not my own, but credit goes to whoever first suggested this.
- Allow multiple reporting. This feature works in conjunction with the point above. Lock the chat-box, then highlight the names of the players you wish to report. Right click the chat-box, select "Report", and a screen will pop up. The screen will focus on the users who spoke, in chronological order.
For example, if you highlight the chat-box, and the first player who spoke in your highlighted section is "1", he'd be reported first. If the second player who spoke in your highlighted box is "2", he'd be reported second, and so forth 'till you reach the last player who spoke in your highlighted section. If a player spoke more than once in your highlighted section, but he's already reported, the system will move on to the next user who hasn't been reported.
- Get rid of sixty-second wait-times between reports.
- Introduce a right-click report option via chat system (that includes public chat, private chat, clan chat & friends chat).
- Introduce a stronger appeal system where all appeals are considered based on the facts of the case and its merit. Too many people have gotten off the hook with weak appeals. Players have submitted Rick Roll lyrics for appeals, and they've gotten accepted, with no regard to what they did. That needs to change.
- Humanize responses to appeals. Have every appeal actually answered by a Jagex employee, not an automated system. Have each response be unique to the person’s case for a greater sense of interaction.
- Increase appeal character limit from a thousand characters to ten thousand.
- Boost appeals for mutes from two to three per offense, and from one appeal to two for bans.
- Equal opportunity appeal – even RWTers get a chance to appeal their offense.
- Chance for successful appeal based on precedent and severity of offense, but facts always considered.
General Customer Support
- Re-introduce Jagex contact system. Introduce additional methods to reach Jagex employees to answer concerns (e-mail, on-site).
- Humanize responses from Jagex, don't automate them.
- Ensure each customer gets their questions and concerns answered to the best extent.
- Introduce a ten thousand character limit for contacting Jagex on-site.
- Encourage all players to register their main e-mail address to their accounts.
Send a confirmation e-mail to the player's inbox when a recovery attempt is made for their account. Recovery must be confirmed before it can continue.(already used by Jagex)
Thanks for reading!