I need help with building a computer.

Abc1230

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guydabest, for seagate, I've heard the failures were for hard drives upwards of 1TB. Although I've heard of WD Caviar Green failures as well, so because it's mechanical it's bound to have failures.

Hitachi I'm not sure but I think it's one of the good brands, but I can't tell since I never used one from them.

Two examples aren't obviously enough to prove anything, but i've got an Hitachi hd on this computer, and in one i built for my mom, both works fine. Never read any horror stories on tech sites either, not what i can remember anyways.

--

And are you still staying with that Raidmax psu???

No, I'm using this now. Is it okay?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371051

Antec, Seasonic and Corsair are the most reliable PSU brands. Other brands have some decent lines, but it's best to just stick with those 3.

Oof. I know I shouldn't skimp on the PSU, but is there a cheaper decent alternative? The previous one was 90 bucks with a $25 rebate. What do I need to keep in mind when looking for a psu?

Here's the 650w version for only $70.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044 (Tell me if the link is broken, I'm having trouble connecting right now)

OCZ are fine when it comes to power supplies, there are more than 3 brands that are good, reliable, well built and quality.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I'd be surprised if it didn't come with a power cord. Still, when I had a broken cord I went to the local computer shop and they gave me one for free, so it's not like you can't find any for a cheap price.

I'd be surprised if it didn't come with a power cord. Still, when I had a broken cord I went to the local computer shop and they gave me one for free, so it's not like you can't find any for a cheap price.

t5loim3.png

It's like they don't want it to be used in your first build.

Can I just get one at Best Buy or something? Are they all the same?

Yeah I'd have to drive 3 hours to get to the closest best buy, so I can't really check myself, but what Guydabest said. Local computer shops are way better though when it comes to these small parts.

Updated again because of Black Friday deals. I'll probably be buying it close to the end of the offer.

315pzc0.png

I changed the Memory, Motherboard, and case. Is everything still compatible and relatively the same in performance capabilities?

Edit:

Been looking at DIY PC Combos stuff. Are any of those actually any good? Do they compare to what I currently have performance-wise? The look like pretty good deals to my un-trained eyes. I'm perfectly okay with just upgrading a part or two here and there. Would that be a more financially feasible option?

Change the motherboard, you need a z68 chipset if you're wanting to OC and get the most out of your system.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Okay, I switched back to ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. What does the chipset do anyway?

What should I keep in mind when looking at video cards? There are a bunch in the Black Friday deals thing.

Okay, I switched back to ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard. What does the chipset do anyway?

What should I keep in mind when looking at video cards? There are a bunch in the Black Friday deals thing.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155

Quick summary of 1155 chipsets.

For the GPU you want to set a budget obviously and then compare benchmarks. Anandtech.com is a good site for this. Diferent companies releases of the same card generally mean a stock overclock from the original Nvidia/AMD clock, aftermarket coolers and branding.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Due to financial reasons, I'm seriously considering getting this combo instead and upgrading it bit by bit as I get more money. I don't really want to wipe out my bank account, which is what my current build will do.

Is it any good? How is it inferior to what I currently have?