My i5-2500K Gaming PC Build

JPMC Mate

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

I'm not an expert in building computers, but given how much computers improve over the course of a year, I don't think you should look into it now. Your title says in the near future of a year or more, so that's when you should start looking tbh.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

I'm not an expert in building computers, but given how much computers improve over the course of a year, I don't think you should look into it now. Your title says in the near future of a year or more, so that's when you should start looking tbh.

There are some builds that will last a few years, so I asked.

azeem1992.png

Really? Cause as I recall it was you who was the one cussing me at base. Also, re-read what you just said: one 15 second delay (which is an exaggeration to begin with) ruins floor times? You are beyond ridiculous.

There are some builds that will last a few years, so I asked.

Its true, technology is increasing exponentially. Due to prices changing with the new upcoming generation, what you would consider buying now might not even be worth it in 1 year times (Windows 8 might come in 2012). Also now HDD prices are horrible lmao.

If you're going for a build make sure you grab some good thermal paste along with an aftermarket headsink/fan if your board supports overclocking.

randomkcopyq.png

EDIT: Would this build be good, but replacing 6870 with 6970 graphics of the same brand?

azeem1992.png

If you're going to buy this in 1 year, don't bother looking up for parts now. Things are being released very soon (AMD 7000 series and IVB) which will change what is offered and change prices around. Things, while they will still be good, will be out of date in 1 year from now, so just post again in a year.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

If you're going to buy this in 1 year, don't bother looking up for parts now. Things are being released very soon (AMD 7000 series and IVB) which will change what is offered and change prices around. Things, while they will still be good, will be out of date in 1 year from now, so just post again in a year.

How soon are these going to be released and prices change? I'm planning on building one around Christmas (sorry to hijack thread, but it'll help you too :P)

2s0cxth.png

I am considering building sooner than that, maybe 2 months or so, and am kind of disappointed in the suggestions so far. More suggestions are welcome.

azeem1992.png

How soon are these going to be released and prices change? I'm planning on building one around Christmas (sorry to hijack thread, but it'll help you too :P)

AMD 7000 is Late Q4'11/early Q1'12. Ivy bridge is Q1/Q2 '12.

RIP TET

original.png

Actually, I'll just ask elsewhere, cuz no one has yet to give me a build..

azeem1992.png

Actually, I'll just ask elsewhere, cuz no one has yet to give me a build..

I'm very happy to help, but you're changing your timescale around quite a bit. First one year, now 2 months. It's better to plan builds within the week you're buying them, not the month or year, otherwise stuff just gets outdated.

RIP TET

original.png

EDIT: Finalizing Build! Look at first post!

azeem1992.png

The i5 route might be a bit more expensive, but extremely worthwhile, the 2500k I personally use is phenomenal (Granted you buy some aftermarket cooling)

CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130583

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

HDD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148697

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428

DVDROM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

Case: Pretty much up to you, it's whatever is aesthetically pleasing for you.

Thermal Paste: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 (I use this in my computer 38/idle 45/load, make sure it fits in your case)

Also for monitors, pretty much anything you want in size. (Asus for quality)

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=20&name=LCD-Monitors&Order=REVIEWS

Not nice responding to people helping you like that, especially on a forum where the advice is very good, but may take a while to come. Also to boot changing the build time estimate from 1 year to who knows when.

randomkcopyq.png

Yes, I am set on i5 Processors now. :)

Thanks Lord!

EDIT: I found a format to use so it can be clear what I really want:

Approximate Purchase Date: within a week or so

Budget Range: $1000, although I would really prefer if you don't use all $1000 in suggesting components, including monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Runescape and all Emulators; Call of Duty, Halo.

Parts Not Required: Windows 7.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: i5 Processor, HD Monitor.

Overclocking: Probably.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200

azeem1992.png

You're welcome, the only thing that you might want to have a deeper look at is the motherboard. I went and got a P8P67 Pro, which was by far a very amazing board, one click and it took my i5 from 3.2ghz stock speed and overclocked to 4.1ghz (With the suggested heatsink + artic silver thermal paste).

Its a few bucks more but its really quality.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131770

randomkcopyq.png

Finalized Build in first post!

azeem1992.png

I like. :thumbup: Nice build!

4K469.png

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

"An imperfect man can do great deeds, and a great man imperfect ones.

MSI Z68A-G43 (G3) LGA 1155 Intel Z68 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard @ $100

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz @ $220

Samsung DVD burner @ $17

Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM @ $23

Haanspree 23" 1920x1080 monitor @ $139.99

GTX 960Ti 1 GB Graphics Card @ $265

OCZ 600W PSU @ $70

Logitech Wireless Keyboard+Mouse Combo @ $29

HAF 912 Case @ $50

Hitachi 500GB HDD @ $80

Total cost: $1004

Motherboard - Its good, check reviews online and see if there are any bugs in bios or random problems

CPU - Perfect, honestly can't go wrong here. One the the best values for performance

DVDRW- If it works it works

RAM - The other deal for the Ripjaws 8gb 4gbx2 for $30 was amazing shame it sold out, just buy another one of these later on and keep adding to ram

Monitor - I've never heard of that brand before in my life, I'd be weary of this one. I'd pay an extra 10 bucks and go for another company than risk having it die on me. --And only 2 reviews, yikes-- :ohnoes:

GPU - Good high end card.

PSU- Its good, and its modular so no mess with cables. Might want to check your watts and see if you are future proofing your build (In that case get a 650+ according to what you need).

Keyboard/Mouse- I honestly gave up on wireless keyboard and mice a long time ago, I like wired for no hassle plug and play. No having to deal with losing connection bull.

Case- LOVE IT. The Haf series from Cooler master are amazing, looks and durability.

HDD - Sounds good, maybe go for an SSD? And recycle your old HDD as storage. HDD prices are a bit insane now but SSD are in a decent price range.

It is up to you but I really have to stress and remind you about aftermarket cooling and thermal paste for your processor. Overclocking on the stock fan is simply not worthwhile. Check demensions of your PC case to make sure (if you do buy one) that it fits.

randomkcopyq.png

I only have two computers. One is a laptop and the other one is a Profile 5 Gatewat (all-in-one). The Profile 5 has 80 GB HDD, but my mom uses that computer still.

What should I get for overclocking, aftermarket cooling, and thermal paste?

azeem1992.png

The stock cooler is good for upto around 4Ghz, after that you want something like this.

Might also want to consider a 2GB card for that resolution, depending on what games you are planning on playing and how high graphic settings are going to be. Something like this.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Thanks for the Heat Sink and Thermal Compound!

As for the Graphics Card, I just want one that runs almost any game without lag, good graphic settings, and good video quality.

EDIT: Changed the PSU to CORSAIR 650W and got a better deal on RAM.

azeem1992.png

What I use

Thermal Paste: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

Heatsink: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065 (I use this in my computer 33/idle 45/load, make sure it fits in your case)

The fans on the RAM will cause problems with aircoolers, either change it to some low profile RAM or consider an enclosed water cooler like the one I suggested.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

azeem1992.png

The 212Evo comes with thermal paste preapplied, there is no real need to spend $13 on some more. Just a note that the mouse is out of stock. Personally I'd bump up the monitor to 22" or 23", but if your budget does not allow that and you are happy with a 21.5" then by all means it's still great. I'm wary of the open box nature of the motherboard:

Newegg only guarantees your receipt of the Open Box product with the purchase of this item. Any accessories MAY OR MAY NOT be included. Newegg will NOT send you any missing accessories' date=' even if it is required to use all of the item's functions.[/b']

An new one of the same motherboard is only $10 more, so get that instead.

RIP TET

original.png