I think someone tryed to hack my account

Dusk Souls

I received a mail from Jagex about a change of my e-mail address; I have did not click the link in the adress and log-in manually from the home-page; but it doesn't says anything about that in my account setting, I logged in normally and everything is just as I left it when I logged out yesterday, should I be worried?

Dusk%20Soul.png

Did you request a change of email address? If not, the email was likely fake and you should take precautionary steps and change your account credentials. If you are ever worried at any time it never hurts to change your password and recoveries.

You can read more about Jagex and emailing users here: http://services.runescape.com/m=news/newsitem.ws?id=4373

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

It was probably a phishing email, if you followed the link in the email and logged in I'd change your password via www.runescape.com asap

Read this, particularly point number 7.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

u can control my tip it account, but youll never control how fine i am!

This is by FAR my favorite song:

I love N_odie and would never edit his posts! I love Rainy_Day too <3 And also Cowman_133. <33 Oh, and Laikrob is a going to hunt me down and kill me like a pest kangaroo if I reveal how awesome she is. I owe tripsis skittles. DarkDude feels like he's missing out. This is my siggy! - n_odie Rainy_Day MINE! - n_odie Rainy_Day And meol shouldn't feel left out. Oh, and Y_Guy is a noob awesome

This is one of those phishing emails, log in to confirm your address blah blah.

Frankly, I think it's because we're on Tip.It. Someone is still getting email addresses, because when I left Tip.It for a few months, the emails stopped coming, as soon as I'm active on Tip.It I get flooded regularly.

I'm not saying stay away from Tip.It, I'm just saying this is where the scam emails are probably coming from.

In the future, if you get an email about an email change, password request, updating info or such, I would go on to the actual RuneScape account settings to see if anything actually has been tempered with, in most cases though it won't be.

No I didn't request a change of email address, though now I am considering it...

Then I would say you should change your password now, and making sure your recoveries are still good.

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

I suggest changing your RS e-mail to one that is not related to your RSN, and preferrably one that you have created to link to your RS account only. Works like a charm, and you will never doubt whether the e-mails are real again. From then onwards, you will only receive e-mails about loyalty points.

You're accusing me of bigotry, how ironic. It's a nice attempt at argument, but your responses are facile and asinine, if not diatribe. Who's arrogant now?

Please read this entire announcement: http://forum.tip.it/forum-7/announcement-133-runescapeonline-account-security-reminders-dont-get-hacked/

I know it's long, but it contains very valuable information on how to fully protect yourself from hackers. Since we're talking about e-mails, here are your first steps:

1. Create a brand new GMail account that is not related to your RSN. Use this ONLY for RuneScape.

2. Set up a strong, randomly generated password for your e-mail account. Example: qb=ub6qT@z6u

3. Set strong recoveries that can not EVER be guessed under ANY circumstances. It is BAD to use 'legitimate' answers for your recoveries. For example, if the question is "What is your mother's maiden name?" DO NOT make your recovery answer your mother's maiden name. Why? With enough digging (especially if someone can find you or your mom's Facebook account), the maiden name can most likely be figured out online. Treat recoveries as extra passwords. For example:

• What is your mother's maiden name?
      W(KKv/c7iw3x

[*]Set up GMail two-step verification. This will connect your e-mail account to your phone. No one will be able to access your e-mail account unless they have your mobile phone!

Those are only a few points from the announcement. If you want to protect yourself as much as possible, read the whole thing!!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Hiya, DuskEclipse...

While it's entirely optional, you could copy and paste the source data from that questionable message to a post here on this thread. Yes, both headers and body in quote tags (the whole enchilada as this one calls it), but not the final rendered form of the message. This would allow all of us to see by looking at the underlying source whether it's really a scam of some kind or not. If it is, we can then post back to you about any incongruities in the message, telling you of any scammer tactics that we see being used. :geek:

Or, if the matter's already handled, you could just totally ignore this post. Like this one said, "entirely optional" is what this curiosity-fueled request happens to be. ;)

~Mr. D. V. "Just leaving you an option..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

First of all thank you all you guys for the help, I changed my account to a new email and changed my passwords and recovery questions, at least for now my account is safe.

As for your Suggestion D_V_Devnull, when I actually asked for the change of address email I noticed a subtle; but important difference, the first email has http: while the one I asked for was https Had I not decided to check in the real Runescape Homepage I probably would have fell for that email :ohnoes:

Dusk%20Soul.png