catanas , cutlasas and other new weapons

c3po711

i think they shuld update more weapons like catanas cutlasas even different kinds of bows or different range technique all together and possible new mage attacks and staffs like lightning,etc or a new class of attack [strike bolt blast wave]

i am against the katanas (yes me, the true ninja) because RS would totaly destroy what the true power of it is, they would make it as fast as a scimmy, 2 handed, and it would be as strong as a addy maybe rune 2h, but in reallity it would be stronger faster and 1 handed (it would be held with a wakisachi)

Cutlas, no because that would make all those stupid pirate ppl go around saying "Be in the pirate Clan" which means come with us to the wildy so we can kill you

New bow, that would be fun, i mean i would be more inclined to get my ranged up if memebers got a new "metal" bow that had a blade on it, you would need 60 ranged and 60 attack

Mages getting new attacks, i think not, they got ancient Magiks, but maybe a low level spell for p2p and f2p, mainly for f2p to get it because the mages there are sad

Horus was weak, Abbadon was a fool, but I Karkan, chosen of the chaos gods, shall conquer Terra, I shall kill the false emperor. Under my blood stained banner, chaos shall rule the universe

i am against the katanas (yes me, the true ninja) because RS would totaly destroy what the true power of it is, they would make it as fast as a scimmy, 2 handed, and it would be as strong as a addy maybe rune 2h, but in reallity it would be stronger faster and 1 handed (it would be held with a wakisachi)

Katanas are designed to be wielded in two hands. You would run into balance and speed issues if you wielded it in one hand, and fighting a la Miyamoto Musashi isn't exactly a conventional way of using a katana. The wakizashi was simply not intended to be a main combat weapon.

The "true power" of katanas is something that is overexaggerated by anime fans and Japanophiles in general. The things are on par with European weapons, with only their edge being superior and the rest of them being easy to damage. They weren't designed to cut through heavy armour, so they lack the weight advantage of European weapons. For cutting flesh and light armour, katanas are wicked.

Katanas are designed to be wielded in two hands. You would run into balance and speed issues if you wielded it in one hand, and fighting a la Miyamoto Musashi isn't exactly a conventional way of using a katana. The wakizashi was simply not intended to be a main combat weapon.

The "true power" of katanas is something that is overexaggerated by anime fans and Japanophiles in general. The things are on par with European weapons, with only their edge being superior and the rest of them being easy to damage. They weren't designed to cut through heavy armour, so they lack the weight advantage of European weapons. For cutting flesh and light armour, katanas are wicked.

Actually if you did all of your homework, the samurai would dual weild a katana and a wakisachi, the katana used for fatal blows, wakisachi used to finish them off, and the quality of metal and design of the katan is far superior to that of an English knights sword, and it was made to pierce through thick armor, mainly that of the calvary units (they had uber armor)

Horus was weak, Abbadon was a fool, but I Karkan, chosen of the chaos gods, shall conquer Terra, I shall kill the false emperor. Under my blood stained banner, chaos shall rule the universe

Actually if you did all of your homework, the samurai would dual weild a katana and a wakisachi, the katana used for fatal blows, wakisachi used to finish them off, and the quality of metal and design of the katan is far superior to that of an English knights sword, and it was made to pierce through thick armor, mainly that of the calvary units (they had uber armor)

Katanas cant cut through platebodies, they just arent heavy enough, its like a european longsword with a pound off the weight.

TA: Tea Drinker's Anonymous

Delectable tea or deadly poison...

Actually, if you stopped watching Anime where some buff Samurai does this, you would realize its almost impossible to control a 3.5 foot sword with a footlong handle in one hand. It is true that many Samurai had a Wazikashi...but that was mostly used for ritualistic suicide. I have a practice sword (weighs a little less than a Katana, actually) and its almost impossible to control that sucker with one hand. It's possible, but very ungainly and almost no power behind the slash.

By the time in Japanese history that calvary units wore armor (1550-1600AD), a spear could pierce the armor or the Samurai would reach for his expensive and fancy Arquebus (or in Nobunaga's case the musket) and blow a shot of lead right through the armor. Katana's could not be used on horseback. Instead, Samurai's used spears.

However, Katanas were very sharp and could slice through bone like a hot knife through butter if the proper form was used (which used TWO hands).

Untitled.png

My heart is broken by the terrible loss I have sustained in my old friends and companions and my poor soldiers. Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won. -Sir Arthur Wellesley

The ignorance boggles the mind.

Dual-wielding was an exceptional case with Miyamoto Musashi. The practice of using both the katana and wakizashi (NOTE SPELLING) was something that never found its way into the mainstream. Katanas were designed to be effective in two hands, hence they WERE used in two hands. The quality of metal and design of the katana is only superior AT THE EDGE, and at that, ONLY FOR CUTTING FLESH. The curve allows kinetic energy to be focused more effectively, and the edge contains absurd amounts of folded steel to strengthen it, but EVERYTHING ELSE IS WEAK. They can't use strong folded steel for the entire blade because that would make it shatter. Hence, they used softer steel for the blade besides the edge, which is ALSO easy to shatter, but isn't half as time-consuming and skill-intensive as folded steel.

Next, the katana WAS NOT DESIGNED TO GO THROUGH ARMOUR. I don't know WHERE you get your "facts" from, but Japanese armour is LIGHT compared to European equipment. Your standard fare would be brigandine armour or lacquered steel plates in the case of samurai. They need mobility because of their katana, which requires speed as much as strength. Hence, they could not wear heavy armour, and thus the katana was not made to go through armour. A European sword would destroy a katana on a strike purely for the fact that it IS designed to go through heavy plate, using a tremendous weight advantage. Don't get started on speed, because a heavy sword can be used as quickly as a lighter one - only how long you can do this for is the issue. By the time the knight with his broadsword or the highlander with his claymore is tired, your precious samurai's katana would be lying on the ground in pieces, and the honourable man preparing to commit sepukku.

Now on to armour. By the time Japanese cavalry armour (which, coincidentally, is the same as foot samurai armour except in the case of levies) was even halfway at the standard of European armour, the Japanese had acquired the tanegashima or arquebus from Portuguese adventurers, and had produced it in absurd quantities - more than any country in Europe. Oda Nobunaga, a firm believer in spear-based tactics was disdainful of the weapon at first, but after suffering several defeats dropped the spear's importance in his doctrine in favour of the gun. It would TEAR through Japanese armour. It literally changed the face of Japanese combat - no more ritual introductions before a battle, no more individual combat on the battlefield between samurai. By the time Japan regressed its technology and went back to using swords and spears, armour had not improved because it DIDN'T HAVE A REASON TO. Armour was still expensive, and cheap musketmen (low-ranked samurai) were all the rage.

A Samurai's armor generally consisted of Wood with perhaps iron bindings and a very thin plate. They didn't even move fast in this armor. Let's not forget that some Samurai's even had expensive, flashy armor made of multiple iron plates literally tied down ontop of eachother in a "scale" pattern". They would move even slower then. I have no doubt that two equally skilled swordsmen fighting, one weilding a Sabre, Hand-and-a-half sword, or a Rapier in European steel chainmail and greaves and the other in classic Samurai armor weilding a Katana, would end with the Sabre comming out on top.

The European swords would cleave right through that wood and more than likely peirce the cheap iron plate with a good lunge behind it.

If that doesn't work, a bet 20 Turkish Janisarries would make raw sewage of five, maybe even ten Samurai's.

... Of course, there's Ninja's..

1. Ninjas are mammals.

2. Ninjas fight ALL the time.

3. The purpose of the ninja is to flip out and kill people.

Taken off The Real Ultimate Power website.

all three of you (the 3 posted above me) can think as you please, but i know what i have said to be true, i dont watch anime, they did have strong and heavy armor (their calvary did use it to be safe from the Nagatis, and the Japanese version of bezerkers used it) the whole katana was folded steel, that is all the black smith (usually also a "priest") would do, a single blade would be folded at least 10,000 times, also the curve on the katana was not used for creating friction, it was implemented because it was more aerodinamicaly useful. The samurai armor was also not wood with iron plates, they had tough folded steel plates tied together with a thick string (dont remember what it is at the moment) making the samurai more flexable, and barihawk, the reason why you are unable to dual weild those weapons is because you are not as skilled as a traditional samurai was. (and in responce to zonorhc's small flame on my spelling skill, i am not the best speller, and i frankly dont care about if i spell something slightly wrong) so flame me if you want, but just be aware i will not recheck this post

all three of you (the 3 posted above me) can think as you please, but i know what i have said to be true, i dont watch anime, they did have strong and heavy armor (their calvary did use it to be safe from the Nagatis, and the Japanese version of bezerkers used it) the whole katana was folded steel, that is all the black smith (usually also a "priest") would do, a single blade would be folded at least 10,000 times, also the curve on the katana was not used for creating friction, it was implemented because it was more aerodinamicaly useful. The samurai armor was also not wood with iron plates, they had tough folded steel plates tied together with a thick string (dont remember what it is at the moment) making the samurai more flexable, and barihawk, the reason why you are unable to dual weild those weapons is because you are not as skilled as a traditional samurai was. (and in responce to zonorhc's small flame on my spelling skill, i am not the best speller, and i frankly dont care about if i spell something slightly wrong) so flame me if you want, but just be aware i will not recheck this post

You do, of course, realise that I have spent the past three months researching pre-Meiji Japan as part of an Extension History project?

Cut back your ignorance.

One: The Japanese most certainly did NOT have "strong and heavy armour" as far as it goes by European standards. It may have been "strong and heavy" by JAPANESE standards, but by European standards it was barely above light-classed armours.

Two: The whole katana was NOT folded steel. Such a construction would make it FAR too brittle, hence only the EDGE was folded. If you want, you can have a look at a book called Giving up the Gun, Japan's Reversion to the Sword, 1543-1879 (Noel Perrin, 1979, D.R. Gadine, Boston). He has done his research and has noted that the majority of a katana's construction was soft steel. Also, the curve on the katana is NOT to increase its aerodynamic ability. A slight curve simply cannot do that in any measure worth noting. It IS, however, a fact that the curve allows kinetic energy to be focused on the point of impact, much as it is with other weapons of similar type, like a scimitar - which was also developed in a low-armour environment. Quoted in Perrin's book is an account of St. Francis Xavier on a visit to Japan, where he actually calls katanas "scimiters" (sic) in reference to the weapon they resemble - the scimitar of Middle-Eastern origin.

Three: Folded steel plate mail. Right. Absurdly hard plates that would NOT dent the way armour should, rather resisting all the force of an impact and shattering. Armour is meant to ABSORB blows, hence it cannot be too hard. Strong steel must still be slightly soft so that some of the kinetic energy behind a blow can be absorbed with a little bending. If it is all hard and brittle as folding it would cause it to be, it would SHATTER INWARDS on impact, injuring the wearer far more than the sword blow ever could. On the matter of armour usage, only the top-class samurai used any of the heavier stuff. Lower-class samurai, those only entitled to wear swords and bear a family name but not ride horses, would be stuck with light equipment such as brigandine.

On dual-wielding: There are virtually no accounts of samurai dual-wielding on the field of battle. Miyamoto Musashi along with his very few pupils is quite possibly the only known exception. Traditionally, a samurai would use his katana in two hands, if he bothered using it in battle at all in favour of the spear or bow.