Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vegas cant open avi file?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Minerguy281
I have Sony Vegas Pro 10 and i am trying to import an avi file into it but it wont work. It comes up with an error message saying "an error occurred while opening a codec". I looked it up on the internet and there werent any real clear solutions. They mostly said to download a program, but i dont really want to have to do that. Is there any way i can import it doing something else, like converting it? Or do i have to download something, if so what?
Posted Image

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sy Accursed
It depends what codec the avi file is using.
If it's one the Sony Vegas entirely does not support and conversion via some other software will be required.
If it just a codec you don;t have installed you just need to find a codec pack with it in.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts

It depends what codec the avi file is using.
If it's one the Sony Vegas entirely does not support and conversion via some other software will be required.
If it just a codec you don;t have installed you just need to find a codec pack with it in.

You know any free good video converters?
Posted Image

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
What converters are good entirely depends on the codecs involved and whether they support them.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts

What converters are good entirely depends on the codecs involved and whether they support them.

Well can you give me any good converters which might work?
Posted Image

Nyosuht
[ Display Name History ]

Nyosuht

Website Crew Alumnus

• IRC Channel Staff
  • 1,788 posts
  • RSN:Omnipotence
  • RSN2:Nyosuht
I've used these for years, without much issue.
mencoder
ffmpeg

rnHJQwZ.png
In a state of tranquillity, wealth, and luxury, our descendants would forget the arts of war and the noble activity and zeal which made their ancestors invincible. ~Samuel Adams; 1 August, 1776
There are men, in all ages, who mean to exercise power usefully; but who mean to exercise it. They mean to govern well; but they mean to govern. They promise to be kind masters; but they mean to be masters. ~Daniel Webster; 15 March, 1837

Randox
[ Display Name History ]

Randox

The Consultant

• Administrators
  • 6,603 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:Randox
  • Clan:All Friendly
I know it isn't what you want to do, but if you do give downloading a codec pack a shot, this one has been brilliant for me. To me, it would seem like a much simpler (And much faster!) solution to just enable your computer to be able to understand the files. I'm not sure how this would work with pro though (I use it for the benefit of WMP, which is stupidly limited in what it can play). http://www.free-code..._codec_pack.htm

b6brc9.jpg

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Qu├ębec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

I know it isn't what you want to do, but if you do give downloading a codec pack a shot, this one has been brilliant for me. To me, it would seem like a much simpler (And much faster!) solution to just enable your computer to be able to understand the files. I'm not sure how this would work with pro though (I use it for the benefit of WMP, which is stupidly limited in what it can play). http://www.free-code..._codec_pack.htm

I used to use the K-lite codec pack until someone here suggested CCCP, which I found to be much better than k-lite.

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts
I read on a vegas form that codec packs muck up your pc or something like that?
Posted Image

Sy_Accursed
[ Display Name History ]

Sy_Accursed

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 16,851 posts
Bad codec packs would, but good ones do nothing of the sort.

Good codec packs just allow you to play/edit more video and sound files.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Miner_Guy
[ Display Name History ]

Miner_Guy

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 762 posts
How do codec packs work Do you just install it then it should do everything for you? Or do you have to toggle settings? Becuase i have installed various codecs and i havent touched anything and the video still cant be imported
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users