Do you have a storage solution to suggest?

Baldur

I will use that NAS (Network Attached Storage) to store files that need to be edited and then uploaded to various websites. I could go with a regular HDD but the programs/hardware I use (FRAPS/PVR) output massive files that I don't necessarily edit right away and I also like to keep the raw files if I ever have to re-edit and re-upload a video.

I will be filming/editing game footage mainly with a possibility of serious editing like movies. I want a NAS that allows me to grab my files once I open my editing software of choice. (I use Premiere Pro if it matters at all.)

I would prefer a storage unit that can be connected to my computer(s) via Ethernet, work on Windows (and Mac, if possible) and has at least 4, hot-swap enabled bays. My budget is around $500 although for now, the cheaper it is, the more happy I will be.

So Tip.It, what do you suggest?

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D

If you know how to, I would build or use another PC and then install FreeNas. http://www.freenas.org/

It sounds like you want some flexibility, and this will give you the best, though it probably isn't the cheapest solution.

An old PC would be fine, cheap as chips, though I would recommend buying a RAID controller, and two identical hard drives. This will allow you to mirror, (using RAID 1) ie store a copy of your data on each disk, so that your data is secure.

Alternatively, build a new PC using the cheapest Intel Atom processor, again, buying two identical hard drives, and ensuring that your motherboard supports RAID. This will use far less power, though is possibly more expensive than straight up buying a pre-built NAS drive.

NB: Some NAS drives can work as print servers too, so if that's useful take a look out!

HP microserver. Not sure if they're still running the cashback offer, used be 200 GBP with 100 cashback.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

Why not just an external hard drive with a network interface that you can plug on your switch/router and use as network drive?

Western Digital Mybook Live Edition 3TB External Home Network Hard Drive GBLAN

Not sure where you're from, but if in the U.S. the price is similar to the Canadian one in the page I have posted.

Why not just an external hard drive with a network interface that you can plug on your switch/router and use as network drive?

Western Digital Mybook Live Edition 3TB External Home Network Hard Drive GBLAN

Not sure where you're from, but if in the U.S. the price is similar to the Canadian one in the page I have posted.

The main reason is that I know I will be using a lot of drives. and I do not like external hard drives. Even though at the moment, it seems like the best choice for me, I think ahead and I know this will eventually not be enough.

XboxLive, PSN, Steam: fizz4m

If you add me, please say you are from tif :D