Tip.It Times - 4th November 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

callingwriters.jpg

WRITE FOR THE TIMES - SUBMIT A GUEST ARTICLE:

Remember, YOU can write an article for the Tip.It Times! You can apply to write full time, or just submit a "one-off" guest article any time you want! Our editors will work with you to ensure that your article is ready for publication. All guest articles can be submitted to @tripsis or any other Editorial Panel member. For more information, including details on how to apply full time, read this forum thread: http://forum.tip.it/topic/209138-how-to-write-for-the-tipit-times/

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in an article then please PM them to @tripsis. :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

The bonus xp weekend came at a good and bad time for me.

Over the summer I got 99 magic barraging rock lobs. So, I had a good amount of charms. Also, the sizzling summer bonus xp. With some help from people on the tip it forums, I planned to do summoning over the weekend.

Then I found out the 48 hour film festival competition fell on the same weekend. That significantly cut into my play time. However, I was still able to get about 6 hours in and get from 72 to 96 summoning. Now I just need to figure out what that "unlocks" for me...

btw, my film got second place in the competition. yay!

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

The bonus xp weekend came at a good and bad time for me.

Over the summer I got 99 magic barraging rock lobs. So, I had a good amount of charms. Also, the sizzling summer bonus xp. With some help from people on the tip it forums, I planned to do summoning over the weekend.

Then I found out the 48 hour film festival competition fell on the same weekend. That significantly cut into my play time. However, I was still able to get about 6 hours in and get from 72 to 96 summoning. Now I just need to figure out what that "unlocks" for me...

btw, my film got second place in the competition. yay!

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend and congratulations on the film!

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

At the first article, I already found a major mistake. The current runescape year is 169, NOT 158. I thought you would like to rectify this. I think this is just a typo tho.

• Like 1

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Thanks for the correction. We do our best, but are naught but humble mortals in an Age without gods. ;)

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

The article on the BXPW was nice, though I was surprised to see (almost) no mention of Jagex's statement from a few weeks (months?) past, indicating that there would be no more BXPWs. I also would've wished for a bit more on the flat multiplier, discussing whether it is Jagex's responsibility to keep players from excessive playing (or at least not to encourage it).

One other point, on this section:

"In fact, even the passage of in-game time slowed down-for example, trees from farming that were supposed to take 15 hours of game time to grow may have taken a few extra hours to be ready. Note that the in-game passage of time for most events is not synced to a real world clock. Every game tick (every .6 seconds) a whole bunch of computations are carried out, and one tick of game time is added. Presumably there was some delay, causing each tick to expand a little."

It's not really a fault of Arceus, as he's F2P and thus not familiar with farming - but the described issue has nothing to do with lag or performance problems. The time required to grow a plant depends on growth cycles. Each plant needs to pass a certain number of growth cycles of a certain length. However, if a plant gets diseased, and then cured, it misses one growth cycle. This also applies when a gardener is looking out for your plant. Those trees that were not ready were simply delayed in their growth, which is a normal part of the game mechanic.

The article on the BXPW was nice, though I was surprised to see (almost) no mention of Jagex's statement from a few weeks (months?) past, indicating that there would be no more BXPWs. I also would've wished for a bit more on the flat multiplier, discussing whether it is Jagex's responsibility to keep players from excessive playing (or at least not to encourage it).

"In fact, even the passage of in-game time slowed down-for example, trees from farming that were supposed to take 15 hours of game time to grow may have taken a few extra hours to be ready. Note that the in-game passage of time for most events is not synced to a real world clock. Every game tick (every .6 seconds) a whole bunch of computations are carried out, and one tick of game time is added. Presumably there was some delay, causing each tick to expand a little."

It's not really a fault of Arceus, as he's F2P and thus not familiar with farming - but the described issue has nothing to do with lag or performance problems. The time required to grow a plant depends on growth cycles. Each plant needs to pass a certain number of growth cycles of a certain length. However, if a plant gets diseased, and then cured, it misses one growth cycle. This also applies when a gardener is looking out for your plant. Those trees that were not ready were simply delayed in their growth, which is a normal part of the game mechanic.

That may be one cause of growth delays for Farming, but are you sure performance issues did not also enter into it? I guess performance issues were possibly not to blame in that case, but they were for plenty of others, such as dungeons taking a shorter time by the Jagex clock versus real-life playtime.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

That may be one cause of growth delays for Farming, but are you sure performance issues did not also enter into it? I guess performance issues were possibly not to blame in that case, but they were for plenty of others, such as dungeons taking a shorter time by the Jagex clock versus real-life playtime.

It could possibly be part of it, but I've never heard of this happening on a larger scale. The difference shouldn't be that big. I can imagine the clocks not syncing up, but not by that much. Do you know how big the time difference for dungeons was?

It could possibly be part of it, but I've never heard of this happening on a larger scale. The difference shouldn't be that big. I can imagine the clocks not syncing up, but not by that much. Do you know how big the time difference for dungeons was?

I heard numbers like 40+ minutes for a dungeon, yet the in-game time showed 25. Unfortunately the relevant threads in Recent Updates have either been bumped off or will be shortly, but I'll quote one player that I could still find:

I want to do some dung floors. And also am forced to team to play it. How do you suppose i get 5 people to random hop around and wait around for each other to connect on a world without loosing 15 min a floor? Not even that but then take 47 min to complete but only time me at 27 min?

So 1 dung im playing for 27 min, im lagging for 20 min, and waiting for 15 min. Thanks for .9x xp.....

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

If they kept logging in and disconnecting due to the lag, it would have messed up growth cycles, yes at the very least.

hzvjpwS.gif