I need a mage setup for slayer!

Ishamael

I haven't really been following combat-related news since the release (or since the announcement, rather) of the EoC update. I'm trying to decide on a setup for mage slaying. My problem, first off, is that I have only about 10m to play with. The second problem is that healing seems to be a big issue for me. I don't have access to high level prayers or summoning creatures, and so far I've been getting owned by everything I fight. I need something a little more defence oriented.

Basically I need a cheap but defence oriented magic setup. If that's possible :o.

Assuming that you're mage slaying against melee monsters and exploiting weakness, this might be a good setup with extra defence from a shield rather than a staff.

Ahrim's set, with Slayer helm

Grifolic wand (540 hit bonus is trash but weaknesses should get around this)

Crystal shield/ward of subjugation (whichever's cheaper, think ward is 1.5m or something atm)

Ganodermic boots + gloves (these are both under 300k)

Berserker ring

Skillcape

Think this will fit under your 10m budget. Don't be afraid to mix and match accessory pieces to realign your defence bonus if you're fighting magic monsters.

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Hijacking this topic as its sort of answered :)

So, this is a basic setup for a low overall cost, what if i want to spend lets say 30M with lvl 85 magic and 90+ combat stats (def, att, strengt).

This is a basic defensive setup. You have several options to play with:

1. Upgrade armour pieces to improve the defence quality. Swap out Ahrim's gear for Ganodermic to get an increase in armour. Switch to Akrisae's gear to get small prayer bonuses. You can also make minor improvements such as by buying ragefire boots, which will also provide a small boost to armour at a much higher cost.

2. Improve offensive capabilities. Upgrade to a Master wand (think these are around 9M) to get an crit bonus increase, which will increase average damage by 1%. Trade some defence for offense by switching the Berserker ring for a Seers' ring (0.15% average damage increase). Switch to a mage arena cape which offers 0.5% more crit than skillcapes. Trade even more defence by going for a staff setup, using a Polypore staff (extremely affordable, 750 hit bonus) or an Armadyl Battlestaff (14M for extra 20 hit bonus + infinite air runes). Imbue your rings at Mobilising Armies to get better armour/crit bonuses.

E: Forgot amulets. Arcane Stream should be the only option, failing which Saradomin's Hiss offers 4.4% crit and goes for 1.4M or so.

• Like 1

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

Assuming that you're mage slaying against melee monsters and exploiting weakness, this might be a good setup with extra defence from a shield rather than a staff.

Ahrim's set, with Slayer helm

Grifolic wand (540 hit bonus is trash but weaknesses should get around this)

Crystal shield/ward of subjugation (whichever's cheaper, think ward is 1.5m or something atm)

Ganodermic boots + gloves (these are both under 300k)

Berserker ring

Skillcape

Think this will fit under your 10m budget. Don't be afraid to mix and match accessory pieces to realign your defence bonus if you're fighting magic monsters.

Just used this setup for a steel dragon task. Should get a staff for tasks like these where I don't take damage, but I'm very satisfied with the damage I was dealing. Thanks!