Defeating TokHaar-Hok (Brink of Extinction)

mousepad

All of my attempts to defeat the final boss in Brink of Extinction have been meet with failure. The farthest along I have gotten was to the point where the ranger has been killed and the 2 melee dudes are helping the boss. I got to the point where the boss was at half health but my food ran out.

My setup was:

Penance

Bandos Helm

Demon Horn Neckless

Skill Cape (t)

Rapier

Bandos Chestplate

Blessed Spirit Shield

Bandos Tasset

Onyx (i)

Bandos Boots

Barrows Gloves

My Inventory was:

Overload Flask - Prayer Renewal Flask - Extreme Prayer Flask - Extreme Prayer Flask (EPF)

EPF - EPF - EPF -EPF

Rocktails all the way down for the rest

I found that Flasks of Sara brews weren't helpful because they took so many ticks to consume that all I was doing was healing and doing no attacking.

I would prioritize my abilites toward defense.

What can I change to beat this guy? I am willing to go bang out 200k tokens for a chaotic kiteshield if need be, but collecting the coins to get a divine would take me a a month probably. I rather not do that because the whole point of doing this quest is to get closer to a royal crossbow which I want to use for boss hunting.

Please Help :razz:

Dynastyfan0.png

Given the recent combat update, and how it buffed so many monsters, your best bet might just be ranting in the appropriate place on the RSOF about how this boss is too strong. Plenty of monsters became overpowered from the update on the 14th, and only some of them got fixed on the update on the 18th - none of which were quest monsters. Also, Jagex mentioned a review of quest bosses was in the cards.

Honestly, I gave up on the quest given that I can't even reach the final boss...

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

Helms, boots and gloves don't give any accuracy penalties for using a different style while rebalancing defence, so one thing you could do is swap those out for magic-based variants.

Instead of getting a chaotic kiteshield, put those 200k tokens into a maul. With a 2handed weapon you will deal a lot more damage, meaning the fight will be shorter and you won't need as much food/prayer. If you pray protect/deflect melee Hok won't hit above 500, and as long as you avoid the lava tiles you shouldn't be in any danger of dying.

For healing you should use rocktails, and ability-wise you should focus on using your thresholds instead of building up for an ultimate.

Note: like Squab said, they recently buffed all monsters, so my post may be useless. Regardless, Good Luck!

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

I already have a Cmaul, and I tried using it instead of the rapier and shield. While I did land more hits, the inability to use defense abilities resulted in me dying much sooner. Resonance, Preparation, Reflect, and Rejuvenate were able to keep my alive for a long time without eating food. I guess I can give it another shot with the Gano boots, head, and gloves.

Dynastyfan0.png

Ice barrage is great because you don't have to watch the stuns, you can also freeze the meleers and evade them mostly. Magic armour also has higher melee defence than melee armour, and you can get cheap tier 75 equipment (gano) unlike you can for melee.

The most important thing is that you use Protect from Melee. It protects you (almost) entirely from Hoks attacks.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted