Something wrong with my rig

DownToFletch

So I've had this rig since Friday. Everything was fine UNTIL I tried installing my friends' old GPU.

So my friend lent me a Radeon HD 5770

I did these stops, in order

Turn off computer.

Unplugged it from the back JIC

Turned the power button on the back of the tower to the "off" position

Pressed the power button on the front a couple of times to get rid of any tiny amount of power that might still be in the unit

Install the GPU into he PCI1 slot first, to realize that the 6pin VGA I'm trying to use didn't reach the PSU correctly.

Take the GPU out of PCI1, and install into PCI3.

Plug in VGA cables to the card and into the PSU.

everthingisinplace.jpg

Plug the chord back into the back of the tower, turn switch to the "on" position.

Press power button on the front of the rig, no startup. Try flipping the switch in the back, trying to power it up. No go.

Take out GPU and unplug VGA cables. Still won't turn on.

Unplug every major wire from the mobo, and plug back in JIC something is loose. No go.

Right, so I'm chilling here.

All_My_Love.png Bun_Dem.png

max.png 50.png

Plugging the VGA cables in the PSU? What? And why would you use VGA instead of DVI cables?

Was there a videocard already in the computer or were you using the onboard video (if it has one)? And what do you mean by no boot? Are the fans turning on or not?

I don't think I have DVI cables. I'm almost positive that my PSU didn't come with any, nor did the card when my friend gave it to me. 

No video card, have been using the onboard one. (Not super strong, but it works)

It doesn't turn on. I press the power button and nothing happens. The fans do NOT turn on. Nothing happens.

Someone on another forum suggested shorting the power button pins. Not quite sure how to do that though. Gonna google that now

max.png 50.png

Is your computer a prebuilt computer? (one that you buy, not one that you build). If it's the case, it's probably the power supply that's not strong enough as companies only put what is needed, which means that you probably would have to upgrade the PSU to a more powerful one (PSU = Power Supply, not the computer case) to be able to run a videocard like this one as it seems like the computer isn't getting enough power.

VGA cable is a display cable and you said you plugged into the PSU? I'm not sure about your wording but it seems like your PSU isn't going to be able to display the 1080p you were wanting.

Low_C.png

@DownToFletch, it sounds to me like one a few things happened, and ruined your Mobo and/or PSU...

1. You didn't take the time to touch the case's metal first and drain the excess static off your body, or just use an anti-static wrist strap, causing components to get zapped on contact.
  2. The video card you were given had excess static or some excess charge somewhere in it, and zapped the Mobo dead on contact with the slots.
  3. Your Mobo didn't like having its' capacitors drained for some reason, and it died because of overdrain.
  4. Your PSU got killed somehow, possibly from connection to the video card, due to the video card having excess static or some excess charge somewhere in it.

...and any which way you look at it and go, you're likely looking at needing a newer and better PSU and/or Mobo.  Good luck replacing them, because if you bought that system as a pre-build from a company, you've likely already violated the warranty on it. :wall:

~D. V. "I'm just gonna ... *facedesk* [THUD]..." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

So it turns out the PSU died. Returning it and getting another. So much fail in this thread. Mods, please kill it.

Edit: Just to clarify; it was a 750w PSU and I wasn't even close to maximum capabilities. Done. The power chord has power going through it but the PSU has no power entering it. Whatever. Returning it as DOA and getting a new one.

max.png 50.png

So it turns out the PSU died. Returning it and getting another. So much fail in this thread. Mods, please kill it.

Edit: Just to clarify; it was a 750w PSU and I wasn't even close to maximum capabilities. Done. The power chord has power going through it but the PSU has no power entering it. Whatever. Returning it as DOA and getting a new one.

<*facedesk*> ... Damn, of course, the possibility I didn't think of... PSU death by overdrain, albeit I haven't heard of that one before. #-o

~D. V. "I hate forgetting something." Devnull

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)