Buying a new gaming laptop

r8ymond

Not enough information.

What do you intend to do with it?

Where do you live? We can't tell if we need to provide sellers that sell in the United States or Europe. You don't have to be precise, just tell the country.

Could you give us a list of stores that are nearby your location?

There is one (budget-) gaming laptop that I would certainly recommend as I have first-hand experience with it!

It's the Lenovo Y510. I bought mines for about €750.

Here is a review on it:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Y510p-Notebook.97470.0.html

Note that the review is outdated as Lenovo has fixed the major touchpad problem!

It is a pretty good laptop as it runs even modern day games at a fairly good fps rate.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

If you want a computer for gaming, don't get a laptop, it will cause you huge issues down the road. For $2k you can get a fantastic tower and a dual monitor setup, don't fall for the Alienware hype those are over priced for what you get.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229496

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229495

In terms of towers, I personally avoid AMD/ATI processors and stick with Intel and you get way better bang for your buck with AMD/ATI Graphics cards over NVidia.

Archermanme.png
Quest Cape Achieved on November 14, 2007

Iron_Archer.png

Items Acquired

Crystal Pick and Hatchet

Berzerker Ring x 3

3/28 Barrows Items

If you want a computer for gaming, don't get a laptop, it will cause you huge issues down the road. For $2k you can get a fantastic tower and a dual monitor setup, don't fall for the Alienware hype those are over priced for what you get.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229496

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229495

In terms of towers, I personally avoid AMD/ATI processors and stick with Intel and you get way better bang for your buck with AMD/ATI Graphics cards over NVidia.

But towers aint even portable...

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

Im only looking for Laptop (doesn't matter if it is thin or a thick desktop replacement)

Also can you elaborate on the Alienware part? I've looked around at different laptops, Alienware 17 is actually quite decent imo. The looks and the specs. What is overhyped about it for the price that you pay? 

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/alienware-17/pd?oc=nam17x3_f_h2e&model_id=alienware-17

If there is another laptop with better specs than this one and for around 1.8k can you post it as well? i'd like to compare it 

Again thanks for the responses

With Alienware you pay double the price for the same specs as other brands, and they are quite fragile, and from all the Alienwares I've seen, a lot of them pretty much overheat after around 3 months.

I would suggest Asus Republic Of Gamers, but they also have their fair share of problems, mostly with the power button. I don't know with the new models though. I actually have first-hand experience of the ROG problems as I had one myself, now 2.5 years old.

From what I've seen, Lenovo makes quite solid machines, and also MSI, which is much better than what it used to be a few years ago. I just arrived from my job's christmas party, so I'll probably look some laptops up for suggestions. For Canada, I suggest buying at ncix.com, pricematched with Newegg and TigerDirect or other online stores, as ncix has very good service and you get what you order surprisingly fast (I used to live in New Brunswick and would get my stuff the day after ordering).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834326009

Hey you said under 2k. If i was going to buy a piece of shit gaming laptop i'd go with that over alienware. 

Pro's: Portability, Looks cool, will run must games until next year when everything requires higher specs

Con's: Expensive as hell, Will be outdated and not able to upgrade essential components.  

What i suggest is buying a 500 dollar laptop and a 1500 dollar desktop with your budget. Use the laptop to do work on, light gaming such as low detail settings and less intensive games. Use the desktop with dual or even triple screen monitors as a badass gaming rig with the option to upgrade the gpu next year when you will need more power for next gen games. Thats what i did and I barely even use my laptop over the desktop. But seriously, if you insist on a laptop research dell computer company and form an opinion then slap a alien head on what you research with some cool backlighting and that is what you're paying for. 

Razer i am sure aren't much better but I have like 5 razer products over the past few years all of which were great quality. Dell however, no luck there over the years. 

Low_C.png

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834326009

Hey you said under 2k. If i was going to buy a piece of shit gaming laptop i'd go with that over alienware. 

Pro's: Portability, Looks cool, will run must games until next year when everything requires higher specs

Con's: Expensive as hell, Will be outdated and not able to upgrade essential components.  

What i suggest is buying a 500 dollar laptop and a 1500 dollar desktop with your budget. Use the laptop to do work on, light gaming such as low detail settings and less intensive games. Use the desktop with dual or even triple screen monitors as a badass gaming rig with the option to upgrade the gpu next year when you will need more power for next gen games. Thats what i did and I barely even use my laptop over the desktop. But seriously, if you insist on a laptop research dell computer company and form an opinion then slap a alien head on what you research with some cool backlighting and that is what you're paying for. 

Razer i am sure aren't much better but I have like 5 razer products over the past few years all of which were great quality. Dell however, no luck there over the years. 

Problem with that laptop is it's already quite outdated, and more overpriced than Alienware. Except for the processor and videocard which are similar but newer, this is a laptop with similar specs to my 2.5 year old ROG that cost about half as much.

He has stated that he only wants a laptop, and while I agree with getting both for that price since it would be much better, I'll be looking for suggestions when I'm less busy. Just randomly went on the forums for about 5 minutes lol. the screen on that razer also has much less quality than the screen on my old laptop, with resolution that should've been phased out of laptops in this price range for years. My ROG has 1920x1080 resolution which is much better than 1600x900. Haven't look at the technology behind it though as of this thread. There is the thing that I had a 128GB SSD instead of the 256GB SSD that's in that Razer.