Returning Player - Advice?

Fimbulvinter

So after a 3 year hiatus, I decided to return to runescape due to having much more free time. I've currently gotten all the old standbys, such as a Slayer Mask, Abyssal Whip, Defender and the like, and have done a fair number of the old quests. Is there anything that people would recommend I look into now, or any new events and the like?

Current equipment is as follows.

Helms: Slayer Mask, Helm of Neitiznot, various misc helmets.

Amulet: Amulet of Fury

Armour: Bandos God Armour / Black Dragonhide Leather / Guthix Dragon Hide Armour

Weaponry: Abyssal Whip / Dragon Scimitar / Dragon Dagger etc

Offhand: Dragon Defender

Funds: 6 million, currently.

Any advice to help me return?

fimbulvinter.png

Hello! Welcome back to RuneScape and welcome to TIF.

There is plenty of stuff to do, in particularly some new quests and Plague's End which unlocks the whole skilling area of Prifddinas - thought that may require a few more levels on top of what you have. It takes level 75 in a whole bunch of skills, along with some prerequisites, but it may be a good thing to work towards for its many benefits.

In terms of your gear, stuff is rather standardized now. Bandos armour remains the highest tier of nondegradable armour and is suitable for most purposes along the lines of Slayer or other combat. The ranged and magic versions are Armadyl and Subjugation, and are probably good to work towards as you get more cash. Royal d'hide is a cheap set for Ranged which is level 65, so it has the same defensive stats as Armadyl but no offensive bonuses. For magic, batwing/grolific are possible alternatives.

In terms of a weapon, defenders are unfortunately rendered more or less useless outside nostalgia value. I would strongly suggest you use either a two-handed weapon (bandos godsword being the cheapest I believe) or dual wield. If you have Korasi's sword, you can pair it with Jessika's > Enhanced Excalibur > Off-hand dragon battleaxe, in that order of preference, unless I missed something. For Ranged you could get demon slayer's or karil's pistol c'bows, or salamanders as another option. For magic with one more level you can unlock an abyssal wand & orb, and use a staff of light for now. Those should be relatively affordable.

One more note, make sure not to cross combat classes as that doesn't fly with EoC. In other words, don't mage in d'hide or you will (as a rough guideline) just splash all the time. Hopefully that helps you get a start :).

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Like Arceus said weapons and armour are about the same depending on the tier. So your dragon dagger and scimmy are the same (dps wise). You can also select which skill to train (defence, attack, strength) without the need of an extra weapon for a specific style.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!

For long term I'd suggest trying to get at least one of the 90s required* for Player Owned Ports minigame (rewards include t85 weapons and armor, both being respectively 2nd best weapons and tank armors in game).

*The easiest of them being - cooking, thieving, hunter and probably dungeoneering. (you need only 1 to actually start doing the minigame).

Another option is to do some Dungeoneering and get Chaotic weaponry (T80).

Third option is to gain access to Prifddinas (something you'd want to do later anyway) and get yourself an attuned crystal weapon (while T80 it does a bit more the higher your agility gets).

While there are other options for T85 or close to that those are the ones (I can think of) that involve more time than direct cash investment.

I assume that's a result of the EoC update, aye? Well, I'll probably either try to get a Godsword from the Grand Exchange, or go for the Dual Wield strategy that seems to be effective for people.

I returned after years as well and to be fair EoC is a huge improvement (for example magic and ranged are now comparable to melee, and monsters have weakness for magic/ranged/melee), but there are many things that could have been polished, like defenders, differences between weapons etc.

http://sign.tip.it/1/2/79/260/essiw.png

Retired item crew

I would like to be credited as essiw at the website update & corrections forum. Thanks!