Runescape Archival

Zunaka

Little Disclaimer: Please moderators if this is in violation of the Tip.it forums rules, feel free to delete it.

Hello everyone, I'm not entirely sure how active tip.it is, but I hope this will reach enough people. 

From the years 2001-2012, Jagex did not keep backups of Runescape, causing many versions and updates from Runescape to become lost to time. BUT, if you played Runescape from the years 2001-2012, even if you just loaded it up once and never played again the files would cache and be stored on your hard drive. I am with a Runescape Archival group (https://rs-archive.github.io/) that is trying to recover as many of these "lost" versions as possible.

We've made multiple incredible discoveries so far, recovering over 100 previously lost Runescape versions from people who played back then.

The files would usually be stored in the directories "C:\WINDOWS\.file_store_32 and "C:\WINDOWS\.jagex_cache_32" (to clarify, these files are just the game's content, they don't contain anything that could compromise your account)

For an example of discoveries made with these finds, you can check the Runescape Wiki!

We have made countless posts on reddit about this too, including this one on r/2007scape

If you do have an old hard drive or PC from when you played Runescape, feel free to check! You could have a missing version!

Thank you - Zunaka

Hope some people who lurk end up seeing this. I myself do not have any old archives.. if I did, I would had needlessly overwrote them when I was ewasting my old PCs, long before this archival project began

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum