A Possible Solution?

Tosi

I've been thinking, so many people feel rares should be taken out of the game. Well I feel I have some fair solutions to this problem.

a) Jagex makes rares (meaning half wine, disk of returning, masks, easter eggs, pumpkins, santa hats, and party hats) and makes them complete untradable. Now they need to take a look at the market price of each rare. For example:

Blue Party Hats are about 230M

Santa hats are about 8.5-9.1M

Now that rares are untradable, they are worthless? Well not really.

To make it fair for those who worked hard and paid large sums of cash for their rare Jagex could put in an NPC.

This NPC would be buying discountinued items above market value (i.e. giving 250M for blue hat or 10M for santa)

This way, it gets rid of the rares (if people want to trade them in since their value cannot go up or down ever again)

B) A much simpler solution, Jagex chances the rares into a certificate (untradable) which may be traded in for above market value also.

(Plan B is different because the items would no longer be wearable)

Tell me what you think.

I love how people find solutions to problems that don't exist.

Are rares are problem? No. They are not stopping you from playing the game, gaining skills, making money and meeting new friends.

If they really were a problem, and if Jagex actually cared, then they would have done something about it years ago.

[/thread]

This would put billions into circulation and cause massive inflation.

Are rares worth anything? No. In essence, nothing is worth anything unless you have a buyer and you are willing to sell. But even then, the hats are only worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Many people make the mistake that Rares=Money. That is not the case. If there was some catastrophic drop in the raes market, would millions of coins go out of circulation? Of course not, they would simply be spent on other things. A party hat is really only worth its high-alch value, nothing more.

If you begin to pay out millions for each hat, you would increase the amount of money in the RS economy massively. If that happens, EVERYTHING in runescape, every little item will appreciate in 'value' overnight, or to put it another way, people will charge more for each item. Therefore, people with savings would be distraught, as they can now buy less with their money than they used to be able to. It has happened in History when the German government, the Weimar Republic began printing money by the shed load to pay off their reparations to the French, Italians, Belgians and many other countries that they owed money to. This triggered a massive hyperinflation, where the money being printed was worth only the amount that you would pay for a pice of paper of that size and weight. Hence, a loaf of bread in 1921 Germany would cost you 4 million Marks.

If you paid out for rares, a similar thing would happen, altough not on quite such a drastic scale.

Basically, it wouldn't work.

And anyway, as Bubsa said, rares really are not a problem. It gives the rich something to spend their money on. If they didn't, prices of everything would slowly begin to rise, at the same rate as the amount of coins in the game. By keeping millions tied up in the rares market (note, not tied up in rares, keeping it tied up in the rares market means keeping money aside, specifically with the intention of spending it on a rare), puts a lot of money out of contention and circulation. This keeps prices steady.

I hope at least 1 person bothers to read this all the way through!

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

In reality, rares = money.

Go to world 2 with a blue party hat and say selling blue hat for 200M and see how many people offer it to you. People who have rares can sell them at any time if they wanted to.

Go to world 2 with a blue party hat and say selling blue hat for 200M and see how many people offer it to you. People who have rares can sell them at any time if they wanted to.

Who cares? No, really, I want to know why this concerns so many people?

to solve the whole problem, i think they should just introduce some things that LOOK like rares, but can always be obtained, but just at great cost, so there are things that look like rares, or even rares of another color, but can always be obtained by everyone.

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

The rares market exists because people want the rare items.

People want rare items because they demonstrate their status -- either that they were around when something was given out, or that they could afford to buy it.

People will always pay more for something that is cool-looking, unusual, hard to get or in any way different from what other people have.

If Jagex took all the current crop of "rares" out of the game, then people would find new things to obsess about. For example trimmed armor or god armor which is only available from a treasure trail is relatively uncommon. People with money to burn will pay higher prices for a trimmed rune platebody than for an ordinary one. Even if the stats were identical, people would go for the trimmed one because it looks a bit different. If the "rares" go away, the "uncommons" will rise in price and desirability.

You might even see the market for spinach rolls take off -- not because they're any good for anything, but because they're something you can only get from monster drops or the MOM.

Do you want RS to become a cookie-cutter game where everyone looks alike because there are only common items? Or do you want a game where there's enough variation, both in items and their availability, that you can customise your character's appearance and show off your l33t gaming 5kilz?

I don't own any rares. I don't much care about them. I realise that probably makes me a minority. The rares market is only a problem if you're desperate to get a rare item and can't afford it. In that case, you've got bigger problems than lack of money.

hugh_mannity.png

You obviously do not understand the concept of what I am trying to say.

Rares are not money. If Jagex made all rares untradeable tomorrow, and you owned 2 blue party hats, would that make you rich? I think most peopls answer would be 'no'.

If you buy yourself a blue party hat, are you rich? Whilst most people's answer would be 'yes', I would argue not. You have just paid out 230 million for a hat, you are now significantly shorter of cash than you were before. You do not have as much cash, therefore you cannot buy as much as you could before. Therefore, you are 'poorer'. 'Ah-hah!' you may cry, 'But you can sell your party hat!'. True, then you would be able to buy other items, but then you would not have the party hat.

If your money is tied up in a rare, the money you have available t you to spend is reduced. Of course, it depends what your definition of being rich is, but my definition goes something like 'The amount of cash you have to available to spend indicates how rich you are'. Now, in the real world, I would not agree with this statement, as if you bought land, or an investment, that would all go towards increasing your worth, but in RS, that is my definition of wealth. This is because RS is incredibly unpredicatble, the market is not as stable or as steady. It is also not governed by laws.

Agree or disagree, but Rares are not money. I will not go any deeper into this, because 1.) I can't be bothered, and 2.) I don't think many people will b interested/understand.

99/99 Fletching, 99/99 Cooking, 96/99 Strength

Hobgoblin11.jpeg

I love how people find solutions to problems that don't exist.

Are rares are problem? No. They are not stopping you from playing the game, gaining skills, making money and meeting new friends.

If they really were a problem, and if Jagex actually cared, then they would have done something about it years ago.

[/thread]

Oooh, Bubsa plays the ultimate trump card.

Beat me to it mate, thanks :).

Raichase, quit Runescape.

Time issues really, nothing against the game itself. Something had to go, and it happened to be the addictive game that costs money to enjoy :)

Best of luck to all of my friends here!

Rares only gain respect if u go round into a crowded market area the only thing u relly gain is respect.

Bubsa ure right who cares whether jagex changes the rares or does sumthin about it its only a long term goal.

I base value on usefulness.What does it do?Why is it valuable?ask yourself this next time you buy something.

Good for you.

I don't.

I don't want to be forced to think like you. If I want to buy something because it's pretty, I will.

Time issues really, nothing against the game itself. Something had to go, and it happened to be the addictive game that costs money to enjoy :)

I base value on usefulness.What does it do?Why is it valuable?ask yourself this next time you buy something.

Good for you.

I don't.

I don't want to be forced to think like you. If I want to buy something because it's pretty, I will.

true but mage of the age has a point it doesnt do any thing but i dont think it will change nething if jagex gets rid of them.

true but mage of the age has a point it doesnt do any thing but i dont think it will change nething if jagex gets rid of them.

WHAT?

Yeah, it won't do anything at all... Except that players saving up all their money to spend it on a rare will suddenly send that money back into the economy...

Please, god follow the following process before making such a silly comment again:

1. Actually research what you are talking about. Clearly you know nothing about rares, as you don't think it will do anything. There have been countless debates as to what would happen if they were removed. Because, SOMETHING would change.

2. READ topics about the topic you are discussing, rather than just sticking your head in, saying something completely unfounded, and then sitting back waiting to be patted on the back.

3. Back up your posts with some form of LOGIC or REASONING, rather than just "I think... BLAH. Thats all."

Not that this will make a difference to you posting about things you know nothing about, and I'm sure the morality police will come put me in the lockup (or whatever that new random event is where the bum throws tomoatoes at you).

You obviously do not understand the concept of what I am trying to say.

Rares are not money. If Jagex made all rares untradeable tomorrow, and you owned 2 blue party hats, would that make you rich? I think most peopls answer would be 'no'.

If you buy yourself a blue party hat, are you rich? Whilst most people's answer would be 'yes', I would argue not. You have just paid out 230 million for a hat, you are now significantly shorter of cash than you were before. You do not have as much cash, therefore you cannot buy as much as you could before. Therefore, you are 'poorer'. 'Ah-hah!' you may cry, 'But you can sell your party hat!'. True, then you would be able to buy other items, but then you would not have the party hat.

If your money is tied up in a rare, the money you have available t you to spend is reduced. Of course, it depends what your definition of being rich is, but my definition goes something like 'The amount of cash you have to available to spend indicates how rich you are'. Now, in the real world, I would not agree with this statement, as if you bought land, or an investment, that would all go towards increasing your worth, but in RS, that is my definition of wealth. This is because RS is incredibly unpredicatble, the market is not as stable or as steady. It is also not governed by laws.

Agree or disagree, but Rares are not money. I will not go any deeper into this, because 1.) I can't be bothered, and 2.) I don't think many people will b interested/understand.

You do not understand that a party hat isn't just to look cool, it's an investment. People invest their money into rares because as time goes on more rare are NOT put into circulation therefor making them even harder to obtain, plus the inflation of GP.

Back in RSC I decided to invest in a party hat set, 10M.

How can you say that a rare is not easily converted into GP.

If Jagex made all rares untradeable tomorrow, and you owned 2 blue party hats, would that make you rich? I think most peopls answer would be 'no'.

This is the "problem" the solution is addressing...

to solve the whole problem, i think they should just introduce some things that LOOK like rares, but can always be obtained, but just at great cost, so there are things that look like rares, or even rares of another color, but can always be obtained by everyone.

Can you say, "Scamming"?

People hate rares, cuz they're jelous (sp?) they WANT one, but they're too 'darn high' for them. I plan on getting a blue p-hat someday, but I'm ver poor but i dont complain.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg