Friends List Suggestion

I've seen a couple of suggestions on here regarding categorisation of Friends (in particular one with pictures to support it - very nice). My idea is kind of a step in that direction but more simple to implement (and therefore hopefully more likely)

How about just an extra list of "best friends" with an extra private chat option of "best friends only". This could be used for Clan Members or in my case just simply for the times when I want to talk to maybe 1 or 2 of the peeps on my friends list without having random pm's from other friends.

Thoughts? Comments?

Mordendravid.png

I hadn't even thought of the implications of turning private chat off for categories of friends. This would be especially useful for clan pk trips, where you don't want everyone on your friends list to know where you are, but you do want to be able to communicate with clan members.

I would still prefer a greater number of categories for a friends list, but there is something to be said for simplicity.

31509signature.gif

i think that what your saying could be a good idea, but its kind of limited. how about a list that you can add friends from your friendslist to, lets call it your chat list, and then turn the chat option to "chat list". this way, whenever you type something, instead of saying it "out loud" you say it in private chat to everyone on your chat list. it could be used to talk to a select group of friends "chat room" style, or to your entire clan while pking.

sound better?

I couldn't care less if he was Andrew Gower himself, I just don't like arrogant smegheads.
*in the voice of the comic book guy from the simpsons* best. quote. EVER! :thumbsup:

I don't see the point. You don't need to have another list telling you who your "best friends" are...whats wrong with the current setup.

It's not in order to tell you who your "best friends" are, the point would be that you could move people in and out of this group with out removing them from your friends list entirely. That way, those that are in your "best friends" group would be able to communicate with you when you wouldn't necessarily want everyone on your friends list talking to you.

For example: If I'm pk'ing/barrowing/KQ'ing with a friend I want to be able to communicate with them via pm whilst we're there. However, I don't really want to chat with any of the guys who mine ess/collect herbs/mine iron for me. However, if I only want to talk to 1 or 2 people from my list I also don't want to have to remove every other soul from it and re-add at a later stage just to have 1 or 2 hours of peace and quiet. Yes there are "human" ways to deal with this - i.e. simply saying "can't talk right now", but this way prevents the initial disruption in the first place - the same reason that people play with private chat on friends.

i think that what your saying could be a good idea, but its kind of limited. how about a list that you can add friends from your friendslist to, lets call it your chat list, and then turn the chat option to "chat list". this way, whenever you type something, instead of saying it "out loud" you say it in private chat to everyone on your chat list. it could be used to talk to a select group of friends "chat room" style, or to your entire clan while pking.

sound better?

I like this idea, one thing I would say though is that the ability to communicate with all people within your chat list should be an option (e.g. Individual/Multi Chat) rather than the default standard. I prefer your name for it as well - "Chat List" probably sounds slightly less 2nd Grade than "Best Friends" =)

Mordendravid.png

i like it but as neogeo said it would be too limited, however id love to see it or any change to the chat system because it is pretty awful! jagex seems to be fixated on bringing out countless new weapons and quests that end up in being rewarded with new weapons just because everyone moans they want em... and pohs?! (im not gunna star on pohs lol) c'mon it wont take that long to add the ability to categorise the chat system and add a few new options on who can see your online and who cant! probably 1 programmer and a few hours at the VERY max

i like it but as neogeo said it would be too limited, however id love to see it or any change to the chat system because it is pretty awful! jagex seems to be fixated on bringing out countless new weapons and quests that end up in being rewarded with new weapons just because everyone moans they want em... and pohs?! (im not gunna star on pohs lol) c'mon it wont take that long to add the ability to categorise the chat system and add a few new options on who can see your online and who cant! probably 1 programmer and a few hours at the VERY max

heh heh I agree with your sentiments and also that it would be a more simple change than a lot of the recent updates have been. However, the bit that i've highlighted is probably a tad optimistic!! Even if you're simply repeating a lot of the code to add a repeat of the same functionality under a different tab, there is still a whole lot of coding that needs to be updated and tested to death (imagine the complaints if friends list dies for a few days). You're probably looking more at a couple of programmers for a couple of weeks, then at least the same again to test it.

Mordendravid.png

I agree. I've got this guy i know in real life who annoys me and stalks me in rs. I always have my private chat on friends and have him on my ignore list. If i turn chat on, he knows im on and although he cant do anything about it then, he gets furious at me in real life (which i find kind of funny). So what would really help me is if i could put him on my general friends list, then put everyone else on my best friend list. Id keep chat on best friends and id be able to tell when this guy is on or not. I dunno even normally it sounds like a good idea.