need more mac buying advice

magekillr

well i investigated even more...looked into the benchmarks...and i was shocked

i was originally gonna purchase a Macbook-white with 1GB RAM at 2.0 Ghz with an 80GB HDD...but now i am not so sure

i am not a hardcore gamer (computer gamer)...but i was going to play WoW on it...that is until i looked at the graphics chip in the Macbook

Video ram is like the most important thing in any computer...not the proc speed and regular memory...and the regular Macbook takes some of the regular memory as well as its own video memory

now...would i notice a serious difference in game play between the Macbook and the Macbook pro running WoW? or would it be fairly minimal? :-k

From my experiances the Macbook runs WoW fine - I don't think you'd get much more bang for your buck if you bought a MacBook pro...

that's good news...thanks a bunch for your input :)

it's just that they said Unreal 2004 only gets like 18.4 fps... :-X ..and it made me a bit sketchy about its gaming capabilities

any1 else?

Unreal tourny pulling out 18 FPS? wow.

On all highs a laptop of ours can easily pull out 50 FPS + (i've never tested it but I notice 'no' lag at all. Its just a little 2ghz AMD procesor too, and a video card that isn't anything special).

Eh, personaly I'd get a PC (especialy if your using it to play games), but thats just me. I'll just kindly remove myself from this thread now before the mac guys get me :(

Video ram is like the most important thing in any computer...not the proc speed and regular memory...

I don't think that's true. The GPU is more important, this is particularly evident when overclocking the GPU.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Video ram is like the most important thing in any computer...not the proc speed and regular memory...

I don't think that's true. The GPU is more important, this is particularly evident when overclocking the GPU.

meh...either way...it still shows that the video is the thing to look at over the system memory or CPU frequency

Unreal tourny pulling out 18 FPS? wow.

On all highs a laptop of ours can easily pull out 50 FPS + (i've never tested it but I notice 'no' lag at all. Its just a little 2ghz AMD procesor too, and a video card that isn't anything special).

Eh, personaly I'd get a PC (especialy if your using it to play games), but thats just me. I'll just kindly remove myself from this thread now before the mac guys get me :(

yeah this computer i will use for everything...and play a game in my spare time here and there. i want the ability to use Mac OSX..and if i ever needed windows it would be on the same machine..thus why i want a Macbook.

i think their benchmark also only used 512MB of RAM....but i culd be wrong. either way the fps didn't even match the Macbook Pro's of 50+ fps (which did have more RAM...and much better graphics unit)

here is the review: http://www.macworld.com/2006/05/reviews ... /index.php

and a forum discussion from apple's site:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.js ... ID=2352140

after reading all this...now i think i am turning towards the Macbook Pro...considering you can never upgrade the GPU or the vRAM

so all in all...i need to know if this is worth "the bang for the buck":

option 1

macbookpro.jpg

option 2

macbook.jpg

and the ipod nano's are there b/c i get them free with rebate...i will then sell the ipod nano without opening it...so i'd get like 360-400 back on both deals

I second that you might not want a Mac for gaming. It will greatly limit your selection of games should you choose to play more later. However, if you're sure you want it, I would go with the first suggestion. Don't bother getting the more expensive one. You'll be fine.

Guest GhostRanger

I believe I read in MacWorld the same thing about Unreal Tournement and I do believe that it was benchmarked with only 512 RAM. They strongly recommended anyone buying the computer for any reason to go ahead and upgrade to a gig because the MacBook (like the Mini) doesn't use a graphic card with dedicated RAM. I don't know how much it will affect that game though.

I second that you might not want a Mac for gaming. It will greatly limit your selection of games should you choose to play more later. However, if you're sure you want it, I would go with the first suggestion. Don't bother getting the more expensive one. You'll be fine.

like i said...i am not using this for gaming. the only game i will play on it will be WoW...and it won't limit the selection of games to play b/c i can use windows on the Mac...

i am just asking if it's worth paying $600 more for a 2 inch bigger screen and a dedicated video card

i may look on ebay for a good deal :-w

edit: here is a video i found to show some of its performance...not sure of the specs but it is a Macbook...not a pro

http://www.mactechnews.de/images/conten ... eos/v5.mp4