Looking for an objective firewall comparison

Creaphis

I've been using the free version of ZoneAlarm on my computer for about two weeks, and I've just deduced that it's the cause of my occasional disconnects. I found some help articles on the subject, and it's most likely that I have a dynamic IP and ZoneAlarm cuts me off every time it changes by blocking a ping. The process of finding the proper servers to put in the Trusted Zone appears unwelcoming.

I'm using Windows XP, and my computer is attached to my university's network through which I get free high-speed. I do frequent-enough scans with AVG Free and Spybot, and I stay away from suspicious websites. My browsing is done with Opera at default settings (don't change the subject to Firefox unless absolutely necessary). The only things I'm trying to protect with all this are just a couple of passwords.

So, is the built in Windows Firewall (which has never caused a disconnect for me) good enough for my computing lifestyle? How is ZoneAlarm really better, in ways that would affect me?

Thanks.

kindness.png

the windows firewall really isn't a firewall at all per say. It's more of an annoyance than anything. If your going to use it, for whatever reason, I wouldn't recommend using it along with another firewall. If you feel like you need that extra protection, you could always pay for a firewall like Mcafee, or bunker down with a decent hardware firewall setting thru your router, if you have one that is.

I wouldn't go with mcafee or norton, try and find a good personal firewall on the internet. You do get what you pay for.

If you are not worried about what people might find on your pc then there is no point getting a firewall. That is my theory.

The Windows Firewall only blocks incoming connections. (It'll change in Vista)

If your router has a firewall, it'll block all incoming packets your computer DIDN'T request. In theory, you could just use a router's firewall and you'll be fine - only though if you trust what goes on in your computer.

Use a software firewall if you want more control over what packets leave and enter your computer.

I was about to recommend the Sygate Personal free firewall, but it seems I really haven't kept up to date with the news. Symantec, the compnay who distrute Norton products, bought out Symantec and discontinued their products around 11 months ago.

Symantec news: http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/sygate/index.jsp

ZDNetUK article: http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/securi ... 815,00.htm

Going to download.com and filtering for free firewalls, and I don't think you would need a paid version as your browsing habits seem very similar to mine, gives this list:

http://www.download.com/3150-10435_4-0- ... lsize=&ca=

From which the main contender to Zone Alarm looks like Jetico:

http://www.download.com/Jetico-Personal ... ag=lst-0-8

Looks like I might have to try Zone Alarm myself if Sygate is no longer being supported. No way am I getting Norton, I just un-installed their AV and got NOD32 :) Good luck with whatever you go with, although I'm sure futher googling wouldn't hurt.

As with Bubsa I use Zone Alarm (the free edition) with a dynamic IP and i have never had any problems.

Is this specifically a problem related to playing Runescape? Yu could just download the windows client and set a permission for that?

iratebadger.png