Tips for Making Money with Magic

ikraz66

Contents

1. Introduction

2. Normal spells

3. Lunar spells

4. Other methods

1. Introduction

When most people think of making money with magic, they think about high and low alchemy. In reality its almost impossible to make a profit with these. Low alchemy is the most useless spell in the game for anyone with mage lvl 55 and above and high alchemy is still a money lost operation if you buy all the natures and alchable materials. So if you ever do make money from alching, you're actually just making money from the fletching or the runecrafting nats, etc. However there are many spells that help you make a good profit either by themselves or in combination with other skills.

I purposefully left out combat based magic.It's not the point of this guide. That said, here are all the spells that you can use to make money, and gain a few mage lvls in the process. I have only tested the first two, but at least in theory, they should all work.

2. Normal Spells

Telegrab

req: lvl 33 magic (f2p or p2p)

items: 1 law, 1 air(use air staff)

This is a GREAT spell to make money with if you are free player. Simply grab an air staff, and a bunch of laws and head to the chaos temple north of falador. Then telegrab as many wines of zamorak as you can! If you touch the zammy wines without this spell, all the monks in the room will attack you, and your combat stats go down, but if you use this spell they leave you alone. Zammy wines usually sell for 900-1k each on the forums as they are a high demand herblore item for members. To speed things up, you should use the falador bank and teleport back to fally after each load. It's also a good idea to bring a load of ess, and a mind tiara. The chaos temple is near the mind altar, so you can craft a load of minds on the way there! I made my first mil gp this way and gained about 10 mage lvls at the same time!!

Superheat Item

req: lvl 43 magic, lvl 55+ mining, lvl 50 smithing (f2p or p2p)

items: (per bar smelted) 1 nature, 4 fires (use fire staff), 1 mith or addy ore, some coal

This spell is great for guild miners. simply mine 4 coal for every mith ore and then cast this spell on the mith ore to turn it into a mith bar without interupting your mining! This is the best guild mining exp and possibly the best way to make money there as well. Even though you use a nature rune, you still save enough time to make it worth the price of the nat since you bank the bars less often and you dont need to waste time using a furnace. I made my second mil gp this way! I have also heard that this method works very well for addy mining/smelting in the lvl 35 wildy hobgoblin mine. There is also an anvil nearby there, so you could either high alch what you make, or if you are a member, you could smith arrow tips. that way, you could keep going until you run out of nats! Be careful of pkers though...

Charge [water, earth, fire, air] Orb

req: lvl 56, 60, 63, 66 magic, respectively (p2p only)

items:(per orb) 3 cosmics, 30 [elemental] runes , 1 uncharged glass orb

I have not tried this yet so i dont know for sure if you can make money with this method. Simply buy a bunch of uncharged orbs on the forums. You could buy molten glass instead and craft it into orbs yourself, but molten glass actually costs more than uncharged orbs, so you would lose money in the process. Then take the runes and a full load of glass orbs to the respective obelisk to charge them. I would assume that the air orbs can fetch the highest price, since they give the most crafting exp when used with normal battlestaves. Alternatively, you could add the orbs to the battlestaves yourself and then high alch them. I'm not sure if you can use an elemental staff in the place of the elemental runes or not when casting the charge orb spell, but that would save a lot of money.

3. Lunar spells

Bake Pie

req: lvl 65 magic, lunar spellbook, 85+ cooking recommended (p2p only)

items: (per pie) 1 astral, 5 fires, 4 waters, 1 uncooked pie (use fire or water staff)

This spell allows you to cook pies quickly without any chance of burning. However, the only pies worth using this spell on are wild pies (lvl 85 cooking) and summer pies (lvl 95 cooking). The ingredients to those pies and the time spent putting them together are just too valuble to risk burning. All other pies can are either worthless or wouldn't be burnt by high lvl cooks using ranges. Note that 1 set of runes is required PER PIE.

Superglass Make

req: lvl 77 magic, lunar spellbook (p2p only)

runes: (per inventory) 2 astral, 6 fire, 10 air (use air staff), 13 sand, 13 seaweed

This is pretty self explanatory. Simply obtain an equal number of buckets of sand and seaweed/ soda ash. Only 1 set of runes is required for the entire inventory, and it's much faster than using a furnace. In addition, seaweed works just as well as soda ash for the purposes of this spell! This spell uses up the buckets as well as the sand in them, but you end up with 17 molten glass if you start with 13 sand/seaweeds!

Magic Imbue

req: lvl 82 magic, lunar spellbook, lvl 23 runecrafting (p2p only)

items: 2 astral, 7 fire (use fire staff), 7 water, necklace of binding, dueling ring recommended, rune ess, any elemental runes

This is a very tricky way to make money. Combination runes are very hard to sell, especially in large amounts, but if you can find a perm buyer, this may be the best money maker of all! You can make combo runes without this spell, but then you would need to use up an elemental talisman each time you combine runes, and they are very hard to obtain in bulk. Always make sure to use a necklace of binding (enchanted emerald necklace) when making combo runes or else you will fail 50% of the time! Ess pouches from the abyss may also be a good idea to speed things up. It is probably fastest to use the fire altar, which is why i recommend the dueling ring. Use the ring to teleport to dueling arena, which is a short walk from the fire altar, then cast the magic imbue spell, craft your runes, then use the ring to teleport to castle wars to bank. Rinse and repeat. Alternatively, you could hire ess runners. I recommend paying them in cash instead of runes in this case. Even if you paid them 5k per trip, you would still make a nice profit! You also have the option of using the air altar instead if you hire runners. Just dont forget to replace your binding necklaces!

4. Other methods

mage training arena

req:lvl 55 mage (68+ suggested) (p2p only)

items: cosmics, laws, nats, all elemental staves, mud and lava staff recommended

I dont know much about the mage training arena, but from what i've heard, this is very fast mage exp, especially the enchanting chamber at lvl 68+. you can also make a profit here if you collect lots of pizzaz points and obtain infinity items and sell them to other players. There are other guides on this subject if you more advice.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

Nice guide :) some pictures would help, cuts up the text.

Some people told me that maging blue dragons with fire strike/bolt/blast or dart is pretty good. You can make a lot of profit from selling hides and bones. I never tried it and i'm not sure if it's a good money maker or not.

Nice guide :) some pictures would help, cuts up the text.

Some people told me that maging blue dragons with fire strike/bolt/blast or dart is pretty good. You can make a lot of profit from selling hides and bones. I never tried it and i'm not sure if it's a good money maker or not.

Thanks. Sorry about not adding any pictures though. Runescape is blocked at my boarding school so i haven't been able to log on much lately. So no screen shots any time soon. I also havent done lunar diplomacy yet. I may consider adding pics eventually.

shoelacesareuntiedti8.jpg

Proud owner of a Quest cape!

this is a brilliant guide! with my mining and smithing lvls i can easily make the magic xp i've been wanting, mining xp, smithing xp and more! then theres the extra cash....how about using superheat item to make steel bars (alot faster than mith) and then using them to make cannonballs? fast smithing and magic xp ...i'm not to experienced in that area but it should work....depends how many c balls per bar, anyone know how much?

in theory high alching is a big money maker, but in practice it would be to slow, boring, andthe profit wouldnt be to big compared to the time it would take. it's either waste time making/collecting all the stuff, or pay for it all and possibly even lose money!

reportbuttanerfb6.gif

orly8pv6jt4vmui1.gif