Education and the Grading System

LGBR

:? In my school, teachers cant have a personal opinion at all over your marks. When they submit marks for report cards and for final evaluations to the office, they have to show proof of all assignments, and where all the marks have come from, just so no teacher can't make up marks.

I think its just where you live.

Also, the high school does matter some. Some schools have harder programs then others, so if you come from an easy school with a 90% average, but there is another student coming from a school with a harder program, and has an 85%, im pretty sure the 85% would get in.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

But no matter what happens or has happened to all of you, remember this: your sucess as a human being is never judged by numbers, letters or scores on a test.

Indeed, it's always nice to hear that... But what about the HSC? This year, the UAI req. for Commerce at Sydney Uni was 94.85. So, to some extent, (I may have interpreted your comment differently to its intention) your future success is dependant on the numbers on a test. These tests form the marks sent off to the Board of studies (NSW)... etc etc, I'm sure you know the procedure.

But, if we only focus on University courses and their entry requirements, you can always pay the full fee and they'll waive the UAI entry level, lol. Hmm. They should change it. Back on track: yes, I agree - it's never judged by it, but they do influence your success. Hmm, I just changed my opinion. How fitting. :lol:

Another comment: I also go to a private school. The mentioned problem was solved by student numbers. In all assessments (from year 10-12), tests, exams, etc, we write our numbers rather than our names on our papers. Also: different teachers mark different questions. It's completely anonymous, apart from the handwriting. Though with 238 students in the year, it's hard to tell.

I think the weakness in this discussion is the different education systems we're referring to. But nonetheless, it's interesting.

But no matter what happens or has happened to all of you, remember this: your sucess as a human being is never judged by numbers, letters or scores on a test.

Indeed, it's always nice to hear that... But what about the HSC? This year, the UAI req. for Commerce at Sydney Uni was 94.85. So, to some extent, (I may have interpreted your comment differently to its intention) your future success is dependant on the numbers on a test.

To some people, success is a simple low payed job that they love. A Uni degree does not = success in other words.

My teacher is a racist, apparently I *talk* too much in class. Which ofcourse affects class participation ( 10 percent of your grade for all classes, except her's ofcourse) 98 percent was my normal grade, but ofcourse , 12 percent deducted for too much talking. I don't even have any friends in that damn class to talk too.

in holland they cant do stuf like that (thoug if al teachers would vote for changing the test they could but then the whole clas would fail) there are just a few things wich a teacher can manipulate wich are: history- you most of the time got to make a smal part of most important things in a history tale and its if the teacher thinks its right, dutch- we got to do a speaking engagement (used a translation site cause i dont know the word) in wich its just the teachers taste if (s)he thinks you said enough of the subject

tough its also very annoying for me in the other way around kinda cause teachers cant say somthing is a little bit good cause the awnsers must be the same as in the book. so in english clas i somtimes get problems cause i have learnd myself english from games,films and chatting on runescape but now with english i see differences in the american kind of words and english wich makes problems somtimes and while the teacher says to me that its the good word but its not in this lesson (he says he must be this strict so people dont get confused of multiple words for 1 and the same thing)

Also, the high school does matter some. Some schools have harder programs then others, so if you come from an easy school with a 90% average, but there is another student coming from a school with a harder program, and has an 85%, im pretty sure the 85% would get in.

We did this thing in the Career Center where they showed us what colleges look for. Basically, if your parents went to a college and still donate then you have a much better chance at getting in. I really don't like the US education system, though. I'm currently stuck with one of the harder grading things, with 94 being an A. My friends who live just an hour away live on a 90 or 92 lowest A. Not to mention that teachers always show favoritism, which I plan to test at the end of this semester. Our teacher does notebook checks, which basically means that she looks to see if our binders have EVERYTHING she gave us in the quarter in the EXACT, picky order that she awnts. If they're not, then our grade gets punished. We need to revamp the education system somehow..

x9whitey9x.jpg

The code in my sig should say 1032 not 0132.

To some people, success is a simple low payed job that they love. A Uni degree does not = success in other words.

Yes, my bad. I'm being too specific, I think. I'm too influenced by my environment - the part of Sydney I live in, the academic competition is so fierce. Private schools compete with others in all aspects of education: sport, music, HSC results. In my case, a uni degree is my path to future success - I love commerce, I love economics; only a uni degree will provide me with the credentials to have a future career in these fields (without delving too deep: the UAI req. alone illustrates the high demand for these courses). Yes, it was a bad generalisation on my part, and yes, I still agree with your opinion, lol. Hmm.

wwow so many long replyes, means people feel strong about it. what can i say about myself, don't do my homework but suck up to teachers- averge mark- 80%. although there is one teacher that my sucking up won't work on, so i really had to put some ewffort into what i did

Yes, my bad. I'm being too specific, I think. I'm too influenced by my environment - the part of Sydney I live in, the academic competition is so fierce. Private schools compete with others in all aspects of education: sport, music, HSC results. In my case, a uni degree is my path to future success - I love commerce, I love economics; only a uni degree will provide me with the credentials to have a future career in these fields (without delving too deep: the UAI req. alone illustrates the high demand for these courses). Yes, it was a bad generalisation on my part, and yes, I still agree with your opinion, lol. Hmm.

It's ok, I can relate to your perspective as much emphasis in society today is placed on the notion that qualifications, degrees and pieces of paper equall success. I myself am starting a uni degree this year, bachelor of science.

I think we, as a society, need to get out of the mindset that you are only a success if you have a degree. The PM John Howard agrees with this idea, from memory.

We did this thing in the Career Center where they showed us what colleges look for. Basically, if your parents went to a college and still donate then you have a much better chance at getting in. I really don't like the US education system, though. I'm currently stuck with one of the harder grading things, with 94 being an A. My friends who live just an hour away live on a 90 or 92 lowest A. Not to mention that teachers always show favoritism, which I plan to test at the end of this semester. Our teacher does notebook checks, which basically means that she looks to see if our binders have EVERYTHING she gave us in the quarter in the EXACT, picky order that she awnts. If they're not, then our grade gets punished. We need to revamp the education system somehow..

My teacher does the same notebook check thing.

Last year being a freshman i tested my teacher's favoritism. I planned this set up for a little while, such as not putting my name on any of the homework pages (they are not passed in, just checked everyday). I passed my binder in, he gave me a 80%, which is not too bad but I thought I had everything in it.

I quickly gave it to my friend to pass in for his and he gets a 92% for the SAME binder.

Me and my friend showed this to the principal and he said "there's nothing I can do" and just tried to get us out of his office.

goldenblade995.png

It's interesting talking to a few of my friends about a course we all took last semester.

At my uni, your final grades can only end in a 0, 2, 5, or 8. So if you get an 83.4%, you'll get rounded to 82. And 83.5% gets rounded to an 85, so this rounding policy has a huge effect on our marks.

In this one course, everyone in my program needed a 60% to pass. A large number of students finished the course with a rounded 58%. They asked the prof to raise their mark the 0.5% or whatever it was to get their 60, and the prof would not do it. I ended the course with an 88 rounded average (88.95% actual), and the professor gladly rounded my mark up to 90, as I had proven myself during the semester. So in this case the professor definitely was subjective, but it makes sense at the same time.

summerpngwy6.jpg

lol, I love high school teachers.

I remember my Chinese teacher. She favors guys (and REALLY favors the stupid guys) over girls. I looked at my grade sheet and it said I got an A- (88.7%). I asked my friend what she got and she said she got a B+ (89.5%).

And to this day, she still remembers that conversation, ahah.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

I think we, as a society, need to get out of the mindset that you are only a success if you have a degree. The PM John Howard agrees with this idea, from memory.

I agree, but what other options are there (strictly regarding professional occupations)? Apart from the amount of experience, how else are employers to differentiate between possible candidates?

RE: the PM, as far as I'm concerned, he is. But, as much as I dislike him as a politician, I was brought up in a pro-Liberal environment. And in this two-party preferred nation, unfortunately, around-about half is, too. Either way, I'm hoping for a change, this election year.