Today's Funny Pages

Dalcyte

Hola folks,

today our society stands at a crossroads. The funny pages of the united states is literred with different varieties of comics. I will try to divide them as well as i can.

1) The funny/ammusing to read. The most rare category in todays funny pages, most comics today are simply repetative, and the good ones have quit or gone part time. Some Examples of the remaining are Pearls before swine, dilbert, fox trot (sundays only! :( ) zits and frazz

2) The real life scenerio/soap opera. The categories of these are simply bad or good. These aren't really meant at all to be funny, they're just meant to be a daily 3 panel soap opera or real life comic. Some good examples may include funky winkerbean ( :lol: ) and for better or for worse. However, we have bad seeds in there like Brenda Starr, Meaning of lila(or whatever its called), Sally Forth, and Mark Trail (See category 4)

3) The Akwardly Bad. Slightly different than category 4, but still its own category. These are newer comics who just aren't funny. There's cornered, the other coast and b.c. The overlord of this category would have to be Cathy, queen (or king :XD: ) of the underworld.

4) The Comics who have been around forever, but are in a continous loop of unfunnyness. These are the comics that just need to stay down when they're down. It boggles the mind that they are still around. Some of these comics may have been funny back in the day, but a new era is around, and these comics need to make room. The reason that these comics are still around is because the readers are still around. the readers who are 75 years of age+, are typical readers of the funnies. They typically find Prince Valiant and Marmaduke histarical. yes, the were histarical in their day. But it is hard to believe that comics can still retain funniness after 75 years, and not have grown stale. One comic, which i will not say, is drawn by the son of the son of the original writer. That's messed up. What's more, he makes $750,000 per year, for making comics where the literal dialouge is this:

Person a): I'm done cleaning my room

Person B): No fair, mine was messier!

This, my friends, is comedy :-#

Such comics in these are, Rose is Rose (don't get me wrong, this was one of THE most popular comics back in the day, but rainbows and alter-ego biker chicks are now freaky in todays day and age), Marmaduke (seriously, this dog changes size, that and he could devour the kids), and here, the overlord of this realm is Family Circus. Poor characters, stuck in a continous never ending 50s loop.

No problem with family circus lovers, or any of these, i'm just stating that the line, where Marmaduke is looking at a bug, and the person says:

"Dont worry its a bug."

Isn't funny.

I must say, my inspiration for writing this was from MY personal favorite comic author, Stephan Pastis, creator of Pearls Before Swine. If you have not seen this strip, its amazing. Go out, and purchase a treasury or two next time you hit the bookstore. To comment on why this comic is so good, i find that the no 4th wall setting is extremely funny. This is when the characters of the strip, know they're in the strip. Pastis probably has himself appear more times in the strip more than any other author in history. Rat has continual attempts to break out of the comic strip and travels to other strips.

Anyway, post your thoughts on the condition of the current funny pages.

Don't read them, never will. Sometimes I read penny-arcade or look at political comics on the interweb, but the only comics I read in real life are my Calvin and Hobbes collection.

Penny Arcade and Calvin and Hobbes rock. ;D

thesip2.jpg

It really has