An FAQ In Help And Advise?

Ok, some may have realised my recent interest in trying to consolidate congestion in the Help and Advise forum.

~I have another suggestion; 'The FAQ Sticky'.

What is it??

Basically, from the name, its a sticky which shows the most frequently asked FACTUAL questions, with the answers and links to the resource (if possible), underneath the question.

Example:

Question:'What level do you need to be to stop burning Lobsters.'

Answer: '68 with gauntlets, 73 without them' Resource.

What would it do??

It would provide, clearly, about 60-70 FAQs, which can be answered by a FACT and a question which is not open to opinion or debate.

How would it work??

Over about a 2-3 week period, someone would analyse the Help and Advise forum, and then try to shortlist the most frequently asked questions, which give the same answer from most forum users.

Then, someone would find the answer to the question and give a possible resource, and merge them together into a shortlist of all the questions and answers.

Advantages

Clearly, IF it were used properly, and not ignored, then (hopefully) the amount of similar or duplicate threads would fall, leaving more space for complex questions, which require a qualitative response.

Its also very simple to construct. I would have no objections making the layout and doing all the work myself, provided it were to be used.

Disadvantages

Ok, im going to list some possible, clear, disadvantages which i've found, before i get flamed for its lack of ecological validity.

...Firstly, how can one define a FAQ? Yes, i know, its down to the forum user's interpretation... But, its quite simple to find a question, which is being asked over and over, so there are ways, round this.

...The possible debate of miss-firing information. Obviously, i cannot be 100% sure that the answer is going to be right, but i'll do the research to make sure that ALL the FAQ's and their answers are correct, and if not, be happy to edit and accept corrections from forum users.

...Isn't there a Tip.It homesite they can look on? Now, im aware that a lot of the questions can be answered from looking on the homesite... But, no one seems to like doing that. This sticking will provide them with easy access to answers they may not be able to find on the homesite, or they are unaware it even exists.

There are probably more flaws with my suggestion, but its a suggestion, so the only way to make it better is with trial and improvement.

~Im open to constructive criticism, so fire away, but i will not be obligated to justify any of my quotes if i do not wish.

Conclusion

It is simply just a sticky with a small shortlist of FAQ's which will allow the User to browse over them if they need to find a question, as opposed to posting a thread which is not essential, if it can be avoided.

Im currently working on a possible layout, so i may update if i get some support.

Post your ideas. ::'

Proposed Layout

I've decided to make this on a new thread as its subject to change.

Cooking FAQ

Q:When can i catch lobsters?

A: Level 40

Q: When do i stop burning lobsters?

A: 68 w gaunts, 74 w/o.

Woodcutting FAQ

Q: When can i cut yews?

A: 60 Woodcutting.

Q: When i can cut mages?

A: 85 Woodcutting.

This is just a rough idea. As you can see, you can close the quotes if you cant find what you're looking for, or the FAQ is further down. ::'

Hmm sounds like a pretty good idea. Hopefully people would actually read it before posting :? :-k I'd love to hear what more people think about this.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

I like the idea.

I think there should be a group of 3-5 people that regularly use the H&A forum that will add FAQ's to the list.

Whatdaya think?

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

We could allow people to post replies with questions that they think should be added. Then General Help & Advice/global moderators could add the questions that they find suitable and make additions of their own.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

We could allow people to post replies with questions that they think should be added. Then General Help & Advice/global moderators could add the questions that they find suitable and make additions of their own.

I've seen this in another forum. An FAQ sticky is created and then users post a question and if it's good then someone will copy and paste the question into a new post in that thread and answer it. Then the post that had the original question is deleted to keep the thread easy to read.

Here's the thread (this forum is unrelated to RS by the way):

http://p223.ezboard.com/Frequently-Aske ... 2744.topic

It's a good idea ::' I really like the part about removing the original questions - to keep the topic clean and avoid duplicates.

Posted Image

Thanks guys. ::'

If such a thread were to go ahead, i'd be happy to help make it and/or find some FAQ's.

I've seen this in another forum. An FAQ sticky is created and then users post a question and if it's good then someone will copy and paste the question into a new post in that thread and answer it. Then the post that had the original question is deleted to keep the thread easy to read.

Here's the thread (this forum is unrelated to RS by the way):

http://p223.ezboard.com/Freque.....2744.topic

This is also a good idea. Let them post it, then delete it, copy the FAQ, answer, and away we go. \'

Oh, i didn't see it in that forum, just something i thought of while browsing the Help and Advise.

Wonder how many FAQs have been posted on those boards just to be taken down some months later (both the tech help, and the game help) :P

But yea, if it can be kept up to date, then it should work (or might not, people dont really read stickies it seems :?)

Please take a gander at the hidden updates sticky in gen P2P to see the "downside" of trying to maintain a sticky based on continuous input from users. Many who post don't even bother to read first to see if the info is already there. :evil:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to try - just requires a lot of maintenance and the person doing the work may lose interest.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Please take a gander at the hidden updates sticky in gen P2P to see the "downside" of trying to maintain a sticky based on continuous input from users. Many who post don't even bother to read first to see if the info is already there. :evil:

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to try - just requires a lot of maintenance and the person doing the work may lose interest.

Oh, i see.

Well, i know i wouldn't personally lose interest, but i could see the lack of motivation to carry it on it people just ignored it.

However, i wouldn't have the right to remove posted suggest or clean it from spam. I guess it would be up to a Global Mod to take this any further. :-k

I'd be willing to give it a go, perhaps on a trial basis. If it proved to be too difficult then it might have to be removed or altered in some way.

Posted Image

I'd be willing to give it a go, perhaps on a trial basis. If it proved to be too difficult then it might have to be removed or altered in some way.

:D If you'd like, i'll be happy to try and compile a short list with a few questions which i find frequently there, and pm you some of them.

Pm me if you'd like.

Sticky threads are tricky business. It's difficult enough to get users to read forum-specific rules, let alone think they might actually search a FAQ sticky before posting.

Conceptually, this is a good idea but I'd hate to create another high-maintenance thread if it will be largely overlooked.

- Ard

Sticky threads are tricky business. It's difficult enough to get users to read forum-specific rules, let alone think they might actually search a FAQ sticky before posting.

Conceptually, this is a good idea but I'd hate to create another high-maintenance thread if it will be largely overlooked.

- Ard

And you know from experience. Valid point, but i was thinking, maybe a poll?

'Would a FAQ in Help and Advise be a useful sticky?'

-Yes

-No

-What's an FAQ?

Or maybe even more like:

"If a FAQ was created for General Help & Advice, would you browse through it before posting? :XD:

Posted Image