Nintend Fan's Guide to F2P Mining

NintendFan

Other guides written by me:

Nintend Fan's Guide to Completing the Stronghold of Security

Welcome to my guide for F2P Mining.

I'll start by linking to Tip It's Mining Site Maps which can be found here. (All maps in this guide are the ones from Tip It) If you don't like my mining site reccomendations, you can always choose your own.

Here is Tip It's Official Mining Guide.

The purpose of this guide is to help nonmembers succeed with raising mining. (Which is one of the top moneymaking skills for nonmembers or members) I won't give you specific levels on when to start mining certain ores, but I will give you the minimum levels that you can start mining them.

Now, let's begin. The table of contents below shows what will be covered by this guide.

Table of Contents:

1: Mining-related Reccomendations

-1a: Quests that Involve Mining

-1b: Other stat reccomendations

-1c: Mining-related Items

2: Mining Basics - Copper and Tin

3: Essentials of Essence - Mining and Runecrafting

4: Iron Mining

5: Coal Mining

6: Crafting ores: Clay, Silver, and Gold

7: Mith Mining

8: The Mining Guild - Revisiting Coal

9: The Mining Pinnacle

-9a: Adamantite

-9b: Runite

10: Notes on Wilderness Mining

11: General Mining Tips

Section 1: Mining-related Reccomendations

This section will cover elements of Runescape that involve mining, and other things you should know.

1a: Quests that Involve Mining

There are 3 F2P quests that involve mining. I have provided links to Tip It's quest guides for these quests:

-Doric's Quest

-The Knight's Sword

-Dragon Slayer

*Dragon Slayer does not involve mining directly, but you cannot access the ores on Crandor Isle until you complete the quest.

1b: other Stat Reccomendations

The main purposes of mining are related to supplying you with materials for 3 other skills - Smithing, Crafting, or Runecrafting. Or you can simply mine and sell your ores for money. So before you begin, know what your goal in mining is. If you want to craft jewelry, you'll have to wait until level 20 to mine silver, and 40 to mine gold. However, you can start right away with clay. Also, mining ores can sometimes result in finding uncut gems - be sure to hang onto those and cut them when you can, they come in handy for crafting.

Smithing and runecrafting can be started right away. For Runecrafting, you'll have to complete the Rune Mysteries quest, but afterwards you'll have access to rune essence mines in East Varrock or the Wizard's Tower.

-Rune Essence Mine-

essence_mine.png

The rest of this guide covers the ores you can mine for smithing... or selling.

One last thing that will come into play while mining is combat - many a mine is filled with aggresive beasts after your blood. This isn't neccesary very early on, but I reccomend having a combat level of 30+ by the time you start mining coal.

Also, if you are able to wield your pickaxe, you'll need a high enough attack level. ALWAYS USE THE BEST PICKAXE YOU CAN! To get the best usage from your Rune Pickaxe, you'll need an attack level of 40. (and 41 mining as well)

1c: Mining-related Items

Mining is mainly associated with the different ores and pickaxes, but there are some other items you may encounter while mining.

-Gems

Gems are a mining random event (you get a gem instead of an ore) that... give you gems. :P This just makes mining even closer to crafting. (Other mining random events include Golems and smoking rocks)

-Broken Pickaxes

If you try to mine a smoking rock, it can explode can break your pickaxe! Nurmof the dwarf (mentioned many times in this guide) will repair your pickaxe for a fee. (Although the lower level ones can be fixed for free)

-Pick heads and handles

This is different from broken picks, but sometimes the head may fly off your pickaxe, leaving you with the handle. Just pick up the head and use it on the handle.

-Brass Key

Brass keys spawn in Edgeville dungeon, and are used for easy access to the mine.

-Dwarven Stout

Dwarven Stouts are stat-altering drinks that temporarily increase your mining and smithing levels by 1.

Section 2: Mining Basics - Copper and Tin

Before even leaving Tutorial Island, I reccomend training your mining to 3, (it won't go any higher than that) simply because Tutorial Island has THE best mine for Copper and Tin in the Free-to-Play world. (I also reccomend raising smithing while doing this)

Once you max out on Tutorial Island, and finish the rest of it, the best spots for Copper and Tin mining are East Varrock or the Dwarven Mines. At this point, don't bother getting an Iron pick since you already have a bronze one, but be sure to get a Steel Pickaxe at level 6. The ONLY place in the world to buy higher level pickaxes is at Nurmof's store in the Dwarven Mines, so make sure you know where that is.

-Dwarven Mines-

dwarven_mine.png

key_tin.gifkey_copper.gif

The Dwarven Mines are located north of Falador, and west of Barbarian Village. If you are afraid of getting attacked by level 14 Scorpians, and level 32 King Scorpians, be sure to use the main entrance. If you do not fear the Scorpians, there is another entrance east of Falador's east bank.

You'll find Copper and Tin in the northern part of the mine. Don't worry about the dwarves - they won't attack you. Since you need both copper and tin to smelt bronze, get 14 of each per load, or alternate between loads of copper and tin. Bank at Edgeville if using the main entrance, or at Falador east bank if using the scorpian entrance.

-Varrock East Mine-

se_varrock_mine.png

key_tin.gifkey_copper.gif

The Varrock East Mine is southeast of Varrock, and you don't have to worry about monsters here. There's not much to be said about this place, but you can bank in the Varrock east bank.

Section 3: Essentials of Essence - Mining and Runecrafting

Once you complete the Rune Mysteries quest, you will be able to mine Rune Essence. The best place to mine Rune Essence is by talking to Aubury in his rune shop south of Varrock's east bank. You only have to click the large essence rock once, and wait for your inventory to fill up. Bank at the east bank and repeat the proccess.

Section 4: Iron Mining

Iron is popularly used by powerminers (and people who bank their ores as well) for fast exp, for both mining and smithing. The best places to mine Iron are the Dwarven Mines and Varrock West Mine. You can begin mining Iron at level 15. Also, be sure to buy a Mith pickaxe from Nurmof once you hit level 21.

-Dwarven Mines-

dwarven_mine.png

key_iron.gif

The Dwarven Mines are located north of Falador, and west of Barbarian Village. If you are afraid of getting attacked by level 14 Scorpians, and level 32 King Scorpians, be sure to use the main entrance. If you do not fear the Scorpians, there is another entrance east of Falador's east bank.

You'll find Iron all over the mine. Don't worry about the dwarves - they won't attack you. Bank at Edgeville if using the main entrance, or at Falador east bank if using the scorpian entrance.

-Varrock West Mine-

sw_varrock_mine.png

key_iron.gif

From the west bank, you can go west outside the walls surrounding Varrock, and due south to reach the west mine. I prefer this spot to the east mine since it is closer to the west bank than the east mine is to the east bank. The level 6 muggers here will attack anyone below level 13, but they aren't much of a threat.

Section 5: Coal Mining

Coal is always in high demand on Runescape - smiths need it to smelt any armor from Steel to Rune. Therefore, there are many miners that mine coal. You can begin to mine Coal at level 30, and be sure to buy an Adamant pickaxe from Nurmof at level 31, and at level 41, get a Rune Pickaxe. The best places to mine coal are the Dwarven Mines and Edgeville Mine.

-Dwarven Mines-

dwarven_mine.png

key_coal.gif

The Dwarven Mines are located north of Falador, and west of Barbarian Village. You'll be using the entrance east of Falador east bank. The coal area is full of aggresive Scorpians... and aggresive miners. Coal is only in this southern part of the mine. Bank in Falador East bank.

-Edgeville Mine-

edgeville_mine.png

key_coal.gif

Edgeville Mine is farther away from a bank, and you'll need a brass key to enter. For your first trip, you'll have you go through Edgeville Dungeon to reach the mine. Be sure to pick up the brass key spawn and hold onto it.

The monsters here are aggressive, but a combat level over 56 will stop the monsters in the mine from attacking you. (look out for the level 42 Hobgoblins though!) Bank in Varrock West Bank.

Section 6: Crafting Ores: Clay, Silver, and Gold

Once you get to level 40, you can mine gold, the best of the crafting ores. At level 40 crafting, all these ores can be mined in the crafting guild, but until then, mine clay and silver at the west Varrock mine, and gold in Rimmington. Go to the Iron section for a guide to the west Varrock mine.

-Rimmington Mine-

rimmington_mine.png

key_gold.gif

Rimmington Mine is north of Rimmington and south of Falador. Mine your gold and bank at Falador east bank.

Another alternative for gold is the Karamja volcano, which is very far from a bank. Closest bank is Draynor Village. This also applies to the mining sites on Crandor Isle.

Section 7: Mith Mining

At level 55 you can begin to mine Mithril. (Abbreviated commonly as Mith) The best places to mine Mith are the Dwarven Mines and the Al Kharid Chasm.

-Dwarven Mines-

dwarven_mine.png

key_mith.gif

The Dwarven Mines are located north of Falador, and west of Barbarian Village. You'll be using the entrance east of Falador east bank. The mith area is full of aggresive Scorpians. Mith is only in this southern part of the mine. Bank in Falador East bank.

-Al Kharid Chasm-

chasm_mine.png

key_mith.gif

The Al Kharid Chasm (also known as the Al Kharid Mine, Chasm Mine, or Scorpian Pit) is between Varrock and Al Kharid. The mine is crawling with aggresive scorpians, but they won't attack anyone with a combat level of 29 or more. Mith is located in the northern part of the chasm. Bank in Al Kharid.

Section 8: The Mining Guild - Revisiting Coal

At level 60, you will have access to the Mining Guild. This is the best spot for F2P or P2P to mine coal (37 rocks!), and there are 5 mith rocks as well. The mining guild is an extension of the dwarf mine. There are no scorpians here, and a closer exit to Falador east bank.

Section 9: The Mining Pinnacle

Adamantite and Runite are the most sought-after ores in Runescape, used to make Adamant and Rune armor. From level 70 on, mining will be tougher, spots won't be as easy to access, and... you'll be mining in the wilderness. There are other Adamantite mining options, but the wild is your best bet.

9a: Adamantite

Adamantite (also know as Adamant or Addy) is mineable at level 70. Your best bet is the Hobgoblin Mine.

9b: Runite

At level 85, you can now mine every single ore, including the ridiculously rare Runite. There are only 2 Runite Rocks in the free world, at the Runite Mine in the wilderness, north of the lava maze. Good luck!

Section 10: Notes on Wilderness Mining

There are 4 mines available to you in the wilderness: Steel Mine, Skeleton Mine, Hobgoblin Mine, and Runite Mine.

It is unnecessary to begin mining in the wild before level 70, for Adamantite. However, if you are desperate for coal, at level 30+ mining, the Skeleton Mine is a great alternative to the more crowded nonwilderness mines.

I reccomend level 25+ magic so you are able to teleport if necessary. Also, wear nothing and bring just your pickaxe and teleport runes.

An alternative to teleport runes is the Skull Sceptre, which offers 5 teleports to Barbarian Village and only takes up 1 space. IF you are interested in making multiple trips, Barbarian Village is closer to Edgeville than your other teleport options - Varrock, Lumbridge, or Falador.

Steel Mine

Located north of Edgeville, not too far in the wilderness, this mine is absolutely useless. Don't even bother coming here.

Skeleton Mine

Located in level 9-10 wild and south of Dark Knights' Castle, this is a good coal resource. It is rare to find another miner here, but beware of PKers. Bank in Edgeville, or if you are scared of being killed on the way back, teleport to Varrock.

Hobgoblin Mine

The hobgoblin mine is located in level 32 wilderness, and it's full of level 28 hobgoblins. This is a great place to mine Mith and Adamantite. (there are far better spots for Iron and Coal) Run south to level 20 wilderness and teleport to Varrock when you want to bank.

Runite Mine

Located in level 40+ wilderness north of the lava maze, this is a PKing hotspot, so watch out! These are the only Runite rocks for F2P. Continue to mine, switch worlds, mine, switch worlds. When you want to bank, south around the lava maze and to level 20 wilderness, and teleport to Varrock.

Section 11: General Mining Tips

-ALWAYS use the best pickaxe that you can.

-Only mine in the wilderness when necessary.

-Unless you can't handle the monsters, wear nothing but your pickaxe, so you carry less weight.

-Run to your mining site, walk back. This maximizes your running time.

*If anyone else has mining tips worth adding, please post them*

---

Well, I hope you found this guide helpful, and good luck mining those ores!

newbankofrsyq0.gif

fixfriendsol7.gif

My Runescape username is Nintend Fan.

siggedum0.png

^Happened right after I killed a guy in the wil

IF YOU MINING IN WILD I SUGGEST walk there with only ur pick and tele runes and RUN back so u dont get pked

Yeah, I pretty much said that. Please don't spam.

newbankofrsyq0.gif

fixfriendsol7.gif

My Runescape username is Nintend Fan.

siggedum0.png

^Happened right after I killed a guy in the wil

Few things to point out

-You can buy rune pick from other players at the price of 23-25k instead of 32k at nurmof

hobgoblin mine:

-the mine only contains lv 28 hobgoblins

-The mine's iron can be used for powermining

-Some people that mine mith and addy there also mines coal and head for the eastern ruin furnace to smelt or superheat then tele back to bank the bars.

Under iron mining:

-If you are under lv 41 and still mining iron, you may want to avoid popular iron mines as there may be rune pick miners mining there who easily mines iron within a hit.

-The lvl to mostly 1 hit iron with rune pick is about lv 50 and above

Mining guild:

-You can enter the guild at lv 59 mining when you drink dawrven stout bought at falador pub but beware the guild is going to be very crowded during peak hours so you might want to world hop to a world with lesser people.

Mining Adamantite:

-The scorpion pit mine(chasm mine) is also not a popular spot for mining addy so you might want to try mining there

Strangely with WotLK so near, I wished I could delay it a bit to push through that last TBC content in MH/BT :'(.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, Cranor has good amount of gold, for ppl who has less 40 craft lvl. 4 in valcono, and 4 island. But It also has plenty addy and mithril. Best part is few ppl there. But only two thing it is bad, Long distance, and high lvl monster there, I mean lesser demon is on path that you need go through to get ore. But it good place for gold and mithril which 5 respawn there.

Correct answer for "is this a question?"

is "if it is a question then it is a answer!"

m200r.png

Also, you not must complete dragon slayer to enter Island. When you arrive island by boat, skip dragon, go straight wall to get out. Your account will remeber it, then you can back to it for slay dragon or ore

Correct answer for "is this a question?"

is "if it is a question then it is a answer!"

m200r.png

Abbsoulutly great, This will help many and I mean many runescapians, this guide is just brilliant.

Very neat and tidy.

tip: Ask a underbanner maker to make a underbanner for this guide. and put the link in it.

Remember ~ Nothing Is Impossible - Lonk41

My Blog :)

i recommend that you 3 item when mining in the wild making you much less of a target since they will only get ores from you.

also when in the wild dont run back that way when you see a pker you have enough energy to get away.

good guidetatschel.gif

Knowledge is power