Tutorial -> How to Color Anime Art

Tenshi

CC and al that jazz, it's not finished, but ohwell, I might get there >.< This is REALLY outdated, so I can CG much better then this now.

[T u t o r i a l : H o w . t o . C G . M a n g a . A r t]

[ÃÆââ¬Å¡ÃâéJoy Kao/BlackTenshi 2004]

[Email [email protected] with any questions]

[PM Tenshi with any questions]

[Note]

[This tutorial is just to show you how to color the pictures, I will not be teaching you how to draw manga, just how to color them.]

[What is needed?]

1. Pencil, Inking pen and paper

2. Adobe Photoshop [basic knowledge of the tools]

3. Scanner

4. Printer

REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR WORK REGULARLY!

[P a r t . o n e : L i n e a r t]

[in this part of the tutorial the aim is to create an outline of your picture that you are CGing, so that the coloring part of the CGing is easier, and so that the lines are clean and crisp.]

[step 1]

-Draw your picture on paper like you would normally, with pencil and paper. Make sure you are drawing on white paper which does not have lines printed on it.

-This is the picture I am going to be using to demonstrate with for this tutorial:

cgtutpic1.jpg

[Picture at 12.5% size.]

-I used a .5 'PaperMate' mechanical pencil (pacer) on white paper for this picture.

-For step two there are two different ways of doing this:

1. If you do not mind drawing with an ink pen over your picture and you are confident you will not make a mistake, proceed to Step 2B.

2. If you do not want to wreck your original picture or are not completely confident that you will not make a mistake, proceed to Step 2A

Remember to save your work regularly

[step 2A]

-Scan the picture onto your computer, and open it in Adobe Photoshop (APS). DO NOT RESIZE IT.

-If the image has a dirty look to it (the background is a grey/sallow color) go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast

Turn the level of Brightness and Contrast upwards until the part of the image that are suppose to be white are now a proper white, and the black is a darker black. Click OK.

I usually put the Brightness up to +30 and Contrast +15 but it differs depending on how dirty the paper was when it was scanned. Always remember that the Brightness should be higher then the Contrast.

Brightness makes the whole image brighter, so you lose the darkness on the lines. You counter this by pitting up Contrast which makes the darker parts of the image darker.

cgtutpic3.jpg

-Click on Image > Adjustments > Hue/Saturation and tick the 'Colorise' option. Toggle the levels until you get to a light pink-ish color (Hue 360, Saturation 50, Lightness 85).

cgtutpic4.jpg

-Print the image out on a fresh piece of paper at the size you would like (the larger, the better).

-Ink it with a pen (not ball-point, use either a fineliner or a special inking pen).

-Scan it onto the computer

cgtutpic2.jpg

[A] Shows the drawn, scanned image.

Shows the Bightness/Contrast changed image.

[C] Shows the Hue/Saturation changed image.

[D] Shows the inked, scanned image.

Proceed to Step 3

[step 2B]

-Ink your drawn image with a pen (not ball-point, use either a fineliner or a special inking pen).

-Erase the greylead lines if needed

-Scan it onto the computer

Proceed to Step 3

[step 3]

-Go to Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast

Turn the level of Brightness and Contrast upwards (Guideline: Brightness +30, Contrast +15) until the part of the image that are suppose to be white are now a proper white, and the black is a darker black. Click OK.

cgtutpic3.jpg

Proceed to Step 4

[step 4]

-Clean up any extra black lines in the picture with the eraser tool. (Make sure the layer is locked, and that your secondary color is white)

cgtutpic6.jpg

-Using the brush tool set on around 2 or 3 pixels, fill in any places where there are gaps in the line.

cgtutpic7.jpg

-Your manga lineart should be complete and ready for CGing now!

cgtutpic5.jpg

[Pictures at 25% size]

[A] Shows the drawn, scanned image with no changes made.

Shows the inked, scanned image with no changes made.

[C] Shows the inked, scanned image with all modifications made.

[P a r t . t w o : B a s e . C o l o r i n g]

[in this part of the tutorial we are placing the main colors into the Lineart of the picture you just created in Part One: Loneart. This will be the basis of color for your whole picture, so choose the colors wisely, although you can change them at any time.]

REMEMBER TO SAVE YOUR WORK REGULARLY!

[step 1]

-Create a New Layer and name it the part you are coloring. For example; I will be doing the skin first, so I will name the layer "Skin_Base". It does not really matter what you name it, but make sure you can remember what is on every single layer, so you are not looking through each layer at the end [by that time there will be atleast 20 layers].

Set the layer on Multiply by selecting "Multiply" from the little drop down menu on the Layer Palette.

cgtutpic8.jpg

-Activate the Background [Lineart] layer by clicking on it, and using the Magic Wand tool [Anti-Alias UNCHECKED], select all parts of the picture which are the same color/same region. To add to the selection, press the Shift button and continue to select the other areas. Make sure you have selected ALL the regions that are needed. For the Skin_Base layer, I would select all the parts which are flesh-colored. [Legs, hands, neck and face.]

cgtutpic9.jpg

[Picture at 25%]

-Go to Select > Modify > Expand... and enter 2 into the box, then click OK. The selection you had before should now have expanded a little [2 pixels, in fact]

cgtutpic10.jpg

Proceed to Step 2

[step 2]

-Activate the layer you made at the start of step one by clicking on it.

-Select the color for the base. [The 'base color' is the main color of that area. The color which does not have shadow on it, or highlights on it.]

-Fill the selected parts using the Fill tool [Anti-Alias UNCHECKED or Right click > Fill > OK

cgtutpic11.jpg

-Continue to do Step 1 and Step 2 with all the different colors/areas of the picture until all of the picture is base colored.

(Remember: New layer > Name accordingly > Set mode Multiply > Activate Background layer > Magic Wand select areas > Expand 2 pixels > Activate New Layer [Name_Base layer that was created at the start] > Select color > Fill selected areas)

-After I finished coloring all the parts of the picture [except for the eyes; eyes are colored last] this is what it looked like:

cgtutpic12.jpg

[Pictures at 27% size]

[A] Shows the inked image that was made in Part one: Lineart.

Shows the base colored image, touched up with the brush tool.

[C] Shows the Layers that I used, you can group yours differently, but you have to remember what is on each layer.

Proceed to Step 3

[step 3]

-Touch up your image with the brush tool and eraser tool. Fill in any parts that were missed - and erase any parts which come out of the black outline.

-Your image now has all of it's base colors! [Excluding the eyes]

[P a r t . t h r e e : S h a d i n g]

[in this part of the tutorial I will be showing you how to shade your base colored picture; this adds de[pth to the picture, and makes it more life-like.]

[step 1]

-Press "D" on your keyboard to make the colors of your brush turn back into black/white. We will be using the color black for most of this part of the tutorial.

-Decide on what part of the picture you will be CGing, and create a New Layer above the layer you will be shading. Name that layer "LayerName_Shading" or something that you will recognise easily.

-Set the layer on Multiply by selecting "Multiply" from the little drop down menu on the Layer Palette.

cgtutpic13.jpg

[step 2]

-Press "ctrl" on the keyboard and hold it there while clicking on the base layer ["Layername_Base" layer] that you will be doing the shading of. Click on the small preview image beside the name while you are holding "ctrl" down, not anywhere else. If this does not work, right click on the small preview image and select "select layer transparency"

-The area that you colored in Part 2: Base coloring should be selected now. The purpose of this is that when you are using the brush to brush in the shading, you only shade in the confines of the selected area, which is the only area you need to be shading in.

cgtutpic14.jpg

[Picture at 25% size]

[Way more to come, can't be bothered at the moment. I'm slowly getting there!]

tenshi-chan

tenshichan2.png

just wondering... are u blacktenshi from rs commuinty?

or something like that?

good tut btw

That's me! ^^ But I'm Tenshi there now, I changed my username.

No-one is really reading this, are they ^^; Ohwell, it's there when people need it

tenshi-chan

tenshichan2.png

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

err u may need to refresh the link for the images :D

cant see them :(

Hey Nicrune007 , Whats Your Username?

twss.jpg

99 Ranged on 2/6/07 99 Hit Points on 9/5/08 99 Defense on 26/4/08 99 Attack on 14/2/09 99 Strength on 25/2/09 99 Slayer on 13/9/09\:D/

• 3 weeks later...