Extensive suggestion/guide: How to detect and stop hackers

Ts_Stormrage

Huh? this isnt where I logged out... and wasnt I wearing a dragon shield? OMG I BEEN HACKED!!!

A few precautionairy steps can be taken to prevent this too-often-recurring scene...

Set a bank pin

Obvious... and DONT make it 1-2-3-4...

What you also should do, is put your stuff in the bank before you log out... You're not going to spend the night on the streets with a few thousand dollar in cash on you in real life either, do you? Put your valuable stuff in the bank, else the bank has no use...

Password and recovery

As per Jagex' advise, change these regularly, and use a different password for everything (email, this forum, rs account...)

Also, dont have your passwords be something that people can phish for (like the name of a loved one, or birthdate), nor anything similar to anything else you use (like bank pin)

Your computer...

-Get a firewall (I recommend Zonealarm)

-Get some anti-virus (preferably one that continually monitors your computer's every move, like F-secure does)

-Get some anti-spyware (AdAware or Spybot - Search&Destroy are the best out there)

-Learn how to use it (I and many others can help you with that)

- Scan your computer with this online virus/trojan/malware/grayware/adware/vunrabilities scanner:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

The best one there is...

-KNOW the threats out there (all the virusses, email scams, and what not)

Always check where you last logged in from

You always get a message when you log in that shows the last time and location you logged in from (IP wise)... ALWAYS CHECK IF IT IS YOURS

DO NOT CLICK DODGY LINKS

Self explanatory... under this heading fall ofc the links people tell you to get the "members file" from... Or "go here to add 3 mill to your bank"

DO NOT GET TRICKED INTO GIVING YOUR PASS

Again, self explanatory... stuff like "If you type your password it gets turned into ******"... Or "I am a jagex mod, give me your pass" (I usually reply with "You are not jagex, you are reported")... Or similar tricks...

Dont even TRY to be stupid enough to give your pass to a "friend"

If you do that, I'll gladly be your friend :)

You and you ALONE should be the only one able to get to your account...

What if you got hacked?

-Check friends list for new additions (talk to em as if you were the hacker, any info you get will help)

-Mobilize your friends to track em down (usually the one online hangs at a bank... check if he is trading a higher lvl... thats the one you should ultimately get back at, because its usually the main account, and prolly HIS bank where your Dmed is a"t)

-Immediatly recover your account witht he recovery questions set

-Track down the IP that hacked you (you shouldve checked this), and report him to his ISP (a simple DNS lookup and a mail will usually do)

-Use the Jagex-provided ways to report that you've been hacked and get your account back that way...

-DO NOT expect your stuff back (its sad, i know, but you shouldnt have gotten hacked in the first place if you followed this guide)

Again, more additions as soon as I have them for you...

Tip.it mods: Feel free to sticky it if found fitting

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

bumperdibump

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

bump0r again :\

thanks for all the positive comments :P

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Well, you have done 3 nice guides now. Thus, you have recieved meol's thumb of aproval and support!! :D

You could also add that, if someone tells you he's Jagex, to play with him, as if you actually believed him, instead of actually saying that you reported him, as he could just drop trade to another account all his items. By not telling him he has benn reported, he could be banned losing all his items.

This signature is intentionally left blank.

thats under scamming :)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

bump

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

easiest way to not get hacked?

get a Macintosh computer!

if u do, wont need anti virus stuff, wont need spybot or watever

i have no idea wat ne of those r called, cuz i have a macintosh, and none of them work on macintosh, safest computer there is. never had to scam for viruses keyloggers, or nething like that. safe as nething can be

and strangely, with all the anti viral thingies out there for windows comps, hackers might suddenly direct their attention to linux or macs :P

in which case: you'd be screwed :P

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

and strangely, with all the anti viral thingies out there for windows comps, hackers might suddenly direct their attention to linux or macs :P

in which case: you'd be screwed :P

lol :)

also remember it might be better to put things like moms middle name

noobiest noob or like that if IRL friends know those things they get your account easily!

bump

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

and strangely, with all the anti viral thingies out there for windows comps, hackers might suddenly direct their attention to linux or macs

in which case: you'd be screwed

oooooh....schnapp....thats cold

Finally retired from RS. It's been a good 4 or 5 years.

yeah, but i put that in my scamm guide here:

http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=380703

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!