Belkin 54G wireless router - IP Conflict, Unable to connect!

sirgudi

Hi,

This error has occured before, its just that we didnt know why or how it went away.

I was on the internet, then my mom accidently turned the power to the router off, and when she turned it back on, it wouldn't allow me to connect due to an IP conflict.

we have 2 computers on the network, and then my laptop. the laptop is the only one effected by this error.

why is this constantly happening, and how can i resolve the problem?

Thanks,

~Gudi

That occurs when two devices try to use the same IP on the same network. If you've manually configured your network settings you should make sure each computer has a different IP, or just turn DHCP on ("Obtain an IP address automatically" in Windows).

i have no idea what you just said :shock: :shock: :shock:

but my mate said if i turn off my laptop, then restart the router, the error goes away?

To simplify:

An IP address is a number assigned to each PC on the network. It is exactly what it says: an address. It tells all the other devices on the network that there is something there. If two things have the same IP address then it will conflict and not be able to connect. This usually happens when you're not using DHCP (Automatically assigns IP addresses to all devices on the network).

Either go into the connection settings on your PC and laptop and make sure they have different IP addresses, or go into your router and enable DHCP + automatically find IP address on your PC & laptop.

on my router its like this:

ipwj0.png

shows my computer being assigned to 192.168.0.90, and my mums pc as unassigned so it goes to 192.168.0.2 by DHCP. i am now going to add my mums pc as 192.168.0.91:

ip2vn7.png

its now added. (laptop goes to 192.168.0.2 via DHCP when its turned on now because i havent added that yet, and both the desktops in my house are WAY out of the range of interfering with that.):

ip3ya2.png

this may or may not help, but it helped me

It is a problem that happens when switching off the router means it forgets which addresses it has given out.

Normally:

System 1 asks the router for an address, it gives the first available one, with a time limit (lease time) and remembers it.

System 2, will then get the second available address.

Now, if the router was turned off inbetween, it doesn't know it's alreadt given out the first address, so when the second system comes along, ythe router gives the first address again - BANG!

It will naturally resolve itself when all leases have expired, otherwise you have to go to the machine that does have the address first, go to a DOS prompt, and enter:

IPCONFIG / RELEASE

IPCONFIG /RENEW

It may also work if you use the Windows option to "repair" the connection, as that may also force it to check in with the router.

Windows PC's do not always renew an IP lease if rebooted, if it is less than half used, and the connection is found to be working, then it will not be renewed.

thanks for all the help, just 2 more things..

how do i get onto the place m4tty said?

how do i get up a dos prompt?

On a belkin router if I remember correctly you need to type 192.168.1.1 into a browser.

Dos prompt or command prompt go to start > run > type in "cmd" (without quotes)

goldenblade995.png