What Does Time Look Like?

Errdoth

What Does Time Look Like?

About a month ago, I was looking through my usual magazine subscriptions, which, for some reason, all tend to arrive at the same time. I briefed over Popular Science, Engineering, and Mechanics, and read over the cover page on Discover magazine. Near the bottom, it read ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ãâ¦Ã¢â¬ÅDoes time exist?ÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬ÃâÃ

are you trying to be smart :anxious:

What is a meter? What is a gallon? What is any form of measurement. It's just a human definition to define a certain "this" or "that". The Earth's rotation and all that mumbo-jumbo is just a way to calculate it. How did they come up with the meter? They took a hemisphere and divided it (forget by what). It's just relative.

dmanxb7.jpg

Trix.--quit WoW as of 12/07

Thank you 4be2jue for the wonderful sig and avatar!

Is there really a day to each animal? Or is it just one long time with dark to light based on rotation that we as animals work around with sleep and day is defined by humans.

Yeah..well kind of. It's the day time and night time. Sleep time and hunt time. I'm not saying it's constant though

So yes, in essence, it is just a routine based on light and day.

dmanxb7.jpg

Actually, if the closest Galaxy that has been identified to have the capabilites of life in it was to look at the earth, they'd see dinosaurs.

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Actually, if the closest Galaxy that has been identified to have the capabilites of life in it was to look at the earth, they'd see dinosaurs.

How and why. The moments occured x amount of time from the beginning of the universe. If both moments are x then it is the same "time"

dmanxb7.jpg

Cause we are so many light years away from them. It has more to do with light rather than time. It was just interesting to me :)

Signature3.gif

With so many trees in the city you could see the spring coming each day until a night of warm wind would bring it suddenly in one morning. Sometimes the heavy cold rains would beat it back so that it would seem that it would never come and that you were losing a season out of your life. But you knew that there would always be the spring as you knew the river would flow again after it was frozen. When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as though a young person had died for no reason. In those days though the spring always came finally but it was frightening that it had nearly failed.

Cause we are so many light years away from them. It has more to do with light rather than time. It was just interesting to me :)

Well yes because their life process wasn't initiated as fast as ours. That doesn't make it a different time away from teh beginning of the universe

dmanxb7.jpg

I think time is built into the fabric of the universe. So yeah, if we went a billion light years away we'd age just as fast.

Signature3.gif

Well yes because their life process wasn't initiated as fast as ours. That doesn't make it a different time away from teh beginning of the universe

We see Andromeda as it was 200,000 years ago because the speed of light.

pyroqe6.jpg

Me doing staff.

I think time is built into the fabric of the universe. So yeah, if we went a billion light years away we'd age just as fast.

agreed

We see Andromeda as it was 200,000 years ago because the speed of light.

But I'm talking about TIME. Not "time" from a human perspective. Our perspective doesn't matter

dmanxb7.jpg

I believe time to be a dimension, and thusly things that 'live' in the fourth (time?) dimension like we live in the third dimension can freely move through it. We're limitted to a linear path through time.

Of course, I believe in an infinite amount of dimensions.

fishing.gif

Way cool. If only we could manipulate space time and jump through a wormhole, look back at earth and record the wavelengths and frequencies of all the light we observe and make an observational time line from it, we would have in effect but not physically travelled back in time to see what the earth looked like as far back as we wanted.

Anyway, what does time look like? Well what does gravity look like? You can't actually see it but we can see the effects of it. The effects of time is the rather continuous realisation that almost nothing is in staisis. Everything moves and that requires a framework of time to do. If it didn't, then we would never have been born and be dead all at the same time.... kinda. :wall:

The phenomenon these days is the quantification of time through clocks. Time still exists regardless of clocks as we can label something as past, present, or a possibility for the future and we can see this evolution of time play itself out in just about everything. All clocks do is allow us to 'get our crap together' to be the most productive species we can be.

Time is relative, time flows slower nearer bodies of greater gravitational strength, i.e. time flows slower the closer you get to the surface of the earth. At the event horizon of a black hole, time stops.

The fact that there is no absolute time was a key consequence of relativity.

Although, i've just bought a book of Amazon called The End Of Time, written by a physicist who says that time is an illusion. But I haven't read any of it yet, I might write up a summary when I have done.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Of i were to stand just outside a black hole i wouldn't age?

Signature3.gif

You would still age (an oxidation reaction), but relative to others you wouldn't age as fast. I.e. if you were to move away from the black hole and go back to earth you would find that relative to your measure of time, people would be much older.

Of course, the force required to keep yourself just outside a black hole would be fairly tremendous.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

You would still age (an oxidation reaction), but relative to others you wouldn't age as fast. I.e. if you were to move away from the black hole and go back to earth you would find that relative to your measure of time, people would be much older.

Of course, the force required to keep yourself just outside a black hole would be fairly tremendous.

Yes, but if you were to stand outside a black hole and say your mother was cooking chicken in the kitchen. You stand outside the black hole the exact same time after the beginning of the universe as your mother is cooking chicken in the kitchen. So they are the same "moment". So it is the same "time". The age doesn't really have to do with the absolute time, right?

dmanxb7.jpg

Time is an abstract concept, so it doesn't relly exist. Or at least a timescale doesn't. Humans just invented it to help with organisation a suppose.

Ovviously it exists as in things/creatured get older but there isn't an actual measurement. We just made a scale that fits in with our rotations around the Sun and our spinning stuff.

iteme3721.jpg

There is no absolute time.

Absolute time as in the measure between the beginning of time or universe (was there time before the universe?). So aging only applies to relative time or an observer of time, right? So what does age have to do with the common moment?

dmanxb7.jpg